Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Photographers...

Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    You missed the whole point ......
    The point is that if a co offers you 500 products to shoot and if a guy offer $2 per shot, will you consider him to be DUMB, which he may even take less than 3 days to complete? Of course we are not talking about high-end photography.

BTW, do you consider $200 per day as Too High or Too Low? .... generally speaking.
    If have a job as a salesman, you do only sale.
    As a pro photogarpher, you are the: salesman, cameraman, telephone operator, dispatch, handyman ..............

How many full day shoot can you do at one go? 2 days per week? 3?
    How many full day shoot do you do per month? You do the math!

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    are you sure? usually they have like 100s of products to shoot.... and each product usually takes less than 45 seconds
    That what I charge when I run my own studio.

I assumed that you no longer owned a studio. Make more money with your trading yeah!
    Last edited by Andy Ang; 5th April 2007 at 12:13 PM.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    I assumed that you no longer owned a studio.
    My user ID say it all! ex Pro!
    Now, my busniess monthly turnover is what my photography business made in 6 month.
    Now I shoot what I like and I enjoy photography more then ever

Quote Originally Posted by expro View Post
    Now, my busniess monthly turnover is what my photography business made in 6 month.
    congrats

that's when product photography was good.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

congrats to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    I think u take my words too serious, relax.
    I am just making fun of that photographer.
    Cheap client

Ya, every trade has its days of glory.

Like in after 1998-2001 Property boom, the Interior Design and Renovation sector is SO HOT.

Stuffs you can do with 10k now, at that time will be quoted around 60k loor. The profit margin is like 300% at least.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

In my opinion, Product photography had NEVER been good.
    Last edited by expro; 5th April 2007 at 12:41 PM.

I don't see why we should cry, remember when I was doing online eLearning, we tender a MOE project for 1/3 the cost, 3 times the specs and 1/3 the time to deliever. As a result, we work like mad, but at the same time killed 3 (Established) competitors.

Basically that is the strategy...we tender in every project that the competitors is going for at low rate. Objective is to get them out of business. A few of us went without salary for a year, then after the competitors died, we begin to slowly raise the charges and later even got IPO.

This world is really the survival of the fittest. We have to be ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    I don't see why we should cry, remember when I was doing online eLearning, we tender a MOE project for 1/3 the cost, 3 times the specs and 1/3 the time to deliever. As a result, we work like mad, but at the same time killed 3 (Established) competitors.

Basically that is the strategy...we tender in every project that the competitors is going for at low rate. Objective is to get them out of business. A few of us went without salary for a year, then after the competitors died, we begin to slowly raise the charges and later even got IPO.

this strategy may work if the industries are small, but for photography industry you will never kill all your competitors, everyday, there will be new comers, you will die after you have finish your resources, and there will be never ending.

in commercial photography, heavy investment, fierce competition, slow payment. suck!
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Sad but hard facts in today's business world.

When there's a downturn in the market even those who said others are undercutting them will start to quote the same rates as the "undercutters".

If we want to stay in this market, we've got expect things like this to happen. I don't like it, nobody likes it but that's what's happen and there's nothing we can do about it.

You thing this is bad? There's a Big Branded Photographer/Studio. The studio is amount one of the top 5 in SG with state of the art equipt. Photographer flies overseas for shoots every now and than. Many major international agency with an international client base are his clients. During the down period some years back, I quoted $80.00 each for 5 product shot and $120.00 if it's just one shot. He quoted $30.00 flat.
    He's still in the market, so am I.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

means lightning is big boss~

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    You thing this is bad? There's a Big Branded Photographer/Studio. The studio is amount one of the top 5 in SG with state of the art equipt. Photographer flies overseas for shoots every now and than. Many major international agency with an international client base are his clients. During the down period some years back, I quoted $80.00 each for 5 product shot and $120.00 if it's just one shot. He quoted $30.00 flat.
    He's still in the market, so am I.
    That what the BIG studio did to keep their assistants busy.
    Usually they will let the assistants to do this kind of jobs.

I have loss touch with the photography industry.
    Which are the top studios in Singapore now?

In my opinion, Product photography had NEVER been good.
    I remember Charlie Lim at PSA charged me $300 for a product image ..... but he spent half a day with his asst in my office donkey years ago..... and he was shooting films (should be those high-end thingy)...
    always the Light, .... always.

means lightning is big boss~
    Haha...I got burn out, gave the business to my friend who brought it to IPO in Malaysia. Now the company is in Singapore , Malaysia and Hong Kong *sigh* I pull out too soon! Now I am still in Education, but just a small little teacher!

Oi... dont be so cheap la...

This method may not work well with other industries .....
    In our business some sell their goods so cheap that in a year 20 competitors closed shop, and guess what, another 50 opens the following years ....
    always the Light, .... always.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast