Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Photographers...

Default Re: Stupid Photographers...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    next time just use photo from handphone...
    oh, actually $5 per product is ok if we use only handphone and shoot. Direct print out using their printer.

Quote Originally Posted by ihub88 View Post
    oh, actually $5 per product is ok if we use only handphone and shoot. Direct print out using their printer.
    that one might as well give the job to their own workers
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by ihub88 View Post
    even if u take the latest K800 and take also overkill....

use those cheapo phones with VGA capability and shoot lor.... hahha.. and print from THEIR OFFICE using a4 paper.

and no copyrights give them...

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    even if u take the latest K800 and take also overkill....

use those cheapo phones with VGA capability and shoot lor.... hahha.. and print from THEIR OFFICE using a4 paper.

and no copyrights give them...

wah!u power... still use handphone take

just take pencil and draw ...

then give them an outline of the 30 products lar..... ask for a glass of water too....

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    wah!u power... still use handphone take

just take pencil and draw ...

then give them an outline of the 30 products lar..... ask for a glass of water too....
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

the guy who quoted $5/shot is really dumb!!

here he has the chance to earn quite a considerable amount should he choose to go in competitively across pricing and let the client decide based on quality and service and yet he CHOSE to throw that potential earning away by quoting $5/shot.
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    the guy who quoted $5/shot is really dumb!!

here he has the chance to earn quite a considerable amount should he choose to go in competitively across pricing and let the client decide based on quality and service and yet he CHOSE to throw that potential earning away by quoting $5/shot.
    Does it make any difference is that said guy quote $2 per shot (simple 1Mb image, even PnS is acceptable) for say 500 items, and it takes 5 days?
    always the Light, .... always.

Agree... At the end of the day, who will know International Superstar is your product model, if you do not have a photographer/ a videographer to "RECORD" it down in print/ show media??

So $5/ product... Hmm... OT a bit. I guess, it could be a case of trying to build up portfolio, and banking on the brand name of the company. Just like there are alot of SAF term contractors who will undercut big time, just to show their prospective clients that "Hey, I'm an SAF contractor leh..."

Good if it opens new doors for the photog. Can't say it's bad if the doors do not open...

Quote Originally Posted by aloyyolaaloy View Post
    i know ...
    sorry if i sounded too harsh or something
    but they have to know that
    they are the man/woman behide the scene( in this instance picture)
    if model can receive hell alot of money
    why cant you
    btw you are the one that determines the final outcome...
    what can they do without the photog
    biz needs to advertise..
    just imagine a company trying to sell a product without you
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Does it make any difference is that said guy quote $2 per shot (simple 1Mb image, even PnS is acceptable) for say 500 items, and it takes 5 days?
    So your daily rate is $200 per day?
    One should take the time require to do the job multiply by the daily rate.
    For example: If you require 5 day to do the job and your daily rate is $1800.

5 days x $1800 = $9,000

Unless it is a long term contract.

Quote Originally Posted by expro View Post
    So your daily rate is $200 per day?
    One should take the time require to do the job multiply by the daily rate.
    For example: If you require 5 day to do the job and your daily rate is $1800.

5 days x $1800 = $9,000

Unless it is a long term contract.
    You missed the whole point ......
    The point is that if a co offers you 500 products to shoot and if a guy offer $2 per shot, will you consider him to be DUMB, which he may even take less than 3 days to complete? Of course we are not talking about high-end photography.

BTW, do you consider $200 per day as Too High or Too Low? .... generally speaking.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by expro View Post
    Even these kind of job, one should charge at least $30-$50 per shot.
    are you sure? usually they have like 100s of products to shoot.... and each product usually takes less than 45 seconds
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

$5/product is power

i've ever been asked by my friend to help source a photographer to sake some products. basically some big stainless steel (reflective) equipment, est. size of a medium tower PC with 15" monitor.
    requirement is that
    - it must be a on-site shoot, understandable, no one wants to bring the 10+ machines back
    - use at least 2 'professional lighting' I assume studio strobes.
    - 4 to 5 shots per product.
    - and full image editing to their preference
    - must be digital SLR <-- huh what kind of requirement is this?
    - images on CD

and the budget?

let's just say the final invoice added up to <<$30 per product (1 product got many shots, at least 5 shots)

Seriously guys, we can rant about how people are under charging, but there are many old time commercial studios that have fully paid off for their equipment and are having low rental charges (eg: HDB shop/house), kids all grown up and basically in the retirement mood. These "ah laos" don't mind shooting cheap just to pass time and keep their business going.

They don't surf CS and i feel they are the bigger market spoiler than newbies. Why? because they can really shoot well, have all the equipment already paid for and they charge really low rates comparable to or even lower than newbies.

Taking the case above, this 'ah lao' already earn $300+ extra for the day. His shop still continue to provide printing services and passport photos as his usual daily income.

Is it real, not a joke right?

Let him dig his own grave and he will find it tough to crawl out to reach to a respected
    profession if he is serious about it.

product photographers

product used to be good money..

This somehow feels like only the 'cheapest' survives. You're all cheap! I tell you real cheap... really really cheap *******s... LOL!

We should make a movie out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    This somehow feels like only the 'cheapest' survives. You're all cheap! I tell you real cheap... really really cheap *******s... LOL!

We should make a movie out of this.
    Survivor Photographers
    Out Cut
    Out Discount
    Out OT

Can't blame them lah.. the case I given above, old uncle, don't need to feed family (except himself and wife probably) anymore, got kids grown up and supporting them instead, paid for all equipment, life is good for him already

He got sustainable business doing printing and passport photo in HDB. Every job he takes on is extra and bonus for him. He doesn't mind losing the job to another guy, if there's another who would even quote lower.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 5th April 2007 at 11:33 AM.

Personally, $200 a day is wayyyyyy too low.

Assuming you get to work 30 days a month, every month of the year, which is a really hard thing to sustain, your monthly turnover is $6000 or $72 0000/year. Assuming your take home is around 1/3rd it is only $24 000 a year to work 30 days a month every single month! And that's assuming you get enough work to do 30 days a month.

I think realistically most photogs get to shoot 1 in every 3 days so at $200 per day that would work out to around $2k a month. If I had to work with that, I'd be paying around another $1k a month at least to stay in this profession. So i guess as to the question, it's not even about high or low. The math just doesn't add up.

You missed the whole point ......
    The point is that if a co offers you 500 products to shoot and if a guy offer $2 per shot, will you consider him to be DUMB, which he may even take less than 3 days to complete? Of course we are not talking about high-end photography.

BTW, do you consider $200 per day as Too High or Too Low? .... generally speaking.

my point is, he's throwing potential income away.

a day rate of $200?? does anyone actually take the time to sit down and work out their working expenses, cost, depreciation, etc,...

ok, for everyone's benefit here's a useful link to help photographers determine their cost of doing business:

http://www.nppa.org/professional_dev...db/cdbcalc.cfm
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

Quote Originally Posted by A.A View Post
    It just came to my knowledge that one potential client of mine was quoted $5/product for a product shoot.
    Its a simple shoot that needs not much styling, however it does some effort and listen to this, worldwide media release, 48mb Tiff files, Full DI and client has 30 products.
    It really sad the way things are coming to nowadays. We are all just killing ourselves...
    He/she might not be a stupid photographer just because he under charged but he's definitely not a good businessman.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast