Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Circular polarizing filter<<help>>

Default Re: Circular polarizing filter<<help>>

Personally, I would use a polariser only when I need to cut reflection off glass surfaces. For blue sky and green foilage, I don't bother... it's so much easier using photoshop (or any post processing softwares).

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Personally, I would use a polariser only when I need to cut reflection off glass surfaces. For blue sky and green foilage, I don't bother... it's so much easier using photoshop (or any post processing softwares).

BC
    PS is another option to produce cpl effects.. more work need to done compared to just using cpl.. hee..

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    PS is another option to produce cpl effects.. more work need to done compared to just using cpl.. hee..
    It takes me only about 1 min or less on Capture NX.

Sometimes you can't even get the desired effects using CPL. I am not so willing to wait for the sun to position itself at the right position (if it ever) to get the desire effect with the CPL. So... it's PP for me.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    hmmm.........the part about polarization by reflection. basically, the angle we are trying to find is a brewster angle. and that angle, reflected light from the sun off your subjects is perfectly linearly polarised. so this allows maximum blockage of reflected light off your subjects, thus increasing contrast on your picture.
    You mean the cpl works by using the brewster angle? It makes sense but... I think the brewster angle for different colour is different. so wouldn't that introduce chromatic aberrations?

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    Could it be due to the timing?

As in, TS took the photo in a cloudly (read:not bright or sunny) day?

OT a bit,

1) Do we really need to turn the cir pol filter even though it isnt a gradual type?
    2) How much for a ultra thin UV filter? I dun bare to take my UV filter out and change to Cir Pol. Troublesome also....

Thanks
    #1, some effect which only CPL can produce, eg CPL can make the sky blue without affect the cloud, but gradual ND filter just darken the sky including the cloud.

CPL will not work if there is no blue sky or you shoot at a direction which CPL has no effects, so you may use gradual ND filter instead.

#2, you don't need CPL filter most of the time, but when you do, just remove UV filter and attach the CPL filter, won't take you more than 2 mins to do it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by cyuxiang View Post
    The neighbouring block sure looks better w/o the reflection (1st pic). Anyways the sky in the 1st pic looks darker, i tink it's not because of the effect of the filter, but the presence of the filter.
    i think with reflections look more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    It takes me only about 1 min or less on Capture NX.

Sometimes you can't even get the desired effects using CPL. I am not so willing to wait for the sun to position itself at the right position (if it ever) to get the desire effect with the CPL. So... it's PP for me.

BC
    it is all up to individual's choices~~ hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by elmzarcega View Post
    good article n images samples...

Quote Originally Posted by elmzarcega View Post
    great!
    thks

Quote Originally Posted by noob117 View Post

refer to pix
    i dun know if this is a defect..
    owners of this filter ur help is most welcome

thks
    hey ur filter looks 2nd-hand...izzit? i got exactly the same one brand new some time ago it also has dis 'defect'. exactly the same, the circular lining like not..err...aligned lidat...i mean it doesn't affect the function of the filter but when u buy brand new quite pissed lor

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    That's quite common. Remove your UV filter when you're using your CPL or get a ultra slim UV filter instead.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmuffyn View Post
    hey ur filter looks 2nd-hand...izzit? i got exactly the same one brand new some time ago it also has dis 'defect'. exactly the same, the circular lining like not..err...aligned lidat...i mean it doesn't affect the function of the filter but when u buy brand new quite pissed lor
    I think that is just a aluminium ring to secure the glass piece onto the filter ring...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmuffyn View Post
    i got brand new...

i got brand new...
    perhaps go down n get a replacement.. u still have the receipt rite..

i got brand new...
    u should be able to change it.. but don't keep ur hopes too high.. last time i bought a cheap hoya cpl and had this problem.. i went back to the shop and it turned out the next few that were opened were all like that.. the guy just choose the nicest looking one and gave to me...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    u should be able to change it.. but don't keep ur hopes too high.. last time i bought a cheap hoya cpl and had this problem.. i went back to the shop and it turned out the next few that were opened were all like that.. the guy just choose the nicest looking one and gave to me...
    which shop is that?

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    which shop is that?
    john 3:16.. i forgot to really check really thoroughly so i guess it was a fault on my part.. on the whole that shop is really good (both quality and service).. only so happened their stock wasn't that good when I bought my filter, and i had already paid up.. so a bit paiseh if i want refund... i'd still recommend them as one of the best shops in sg...

but that problem really doesn't affect usage... u still can use the filters normally...
    Last edited by Adelfin; 9th April 2007 at 10:14 PM.
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

i got brand new...
    Bro,

I have also recently gotten the Hoya 58mm CIR-POLARIZING Filter from CP..ard 3weeks ago. If yours is brand new..then something is wrong la..i don't see any protruding rubber with mine..

I also realized that we live in the same estate..haha..very surprise! CCK Ave 4 rite? lol
    I use my camera to take pictures of my victims before shooting them

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    john 3:16.. i forgot to really check really thoroughly so i guess it was a fault on my part.. on the whole that shop is really good (both quality and service).. only so happened their stock wasn't that good when I bought my filter, and i had already paid up.. so a bit paiseh if i want refund... i'd still recommend them as one of the best shops in sg...

but that problem really doesn't affect usage... u still can use the filters normally...
    j316 is a good shop.. could b a 1 off case bah.. do be careful and check first before leaving is impt hee..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast