Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Default Re: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Haha actually come to think of it, we might not lose if we do mandarin debate.... dont forget we "imported" alot of chinese students from China. Just send them.... sure can hold the ground.
    We also import a lot of sportspeople from China, also lose in Olympics...
    Sian lar.. only waste of people's money

Default Re: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Nevermind if lose just send them back as we do to sports players and PUT IN BOLD that they are foreign imports hence losing is not because Singaporeans are lousy but because foreign imports never work hard. If they win however, proudly say they are Singaporeans by name who have adopted our country as their new motherland and have done it proud. Either way win win situation with foreign imports!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    It's a competition. With any competition, there will be winners and loosers. Winning is good, but knowing how to take defeat with grace, something too many people on this island lacks, is just as important.

Leejay got it right. In debating competitions, research is important, but not the key. It's how you convince others, not how much you know, that will bring the trophy home. In another words, creativity will generally carry the day.
    This is what popped into my mind, I sense a few sore losers. Well played UWC!

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    This is what popped into my mind, I sense a few sore losers. Well played UWC!
    yeah lor...

UWC was good man....

well.. i must also say... not all Uni students deserve a degree.... and when you look at their reports and statements they make....

it will make you wonder how they pass their O levels....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    I like this!

After my old CRT TV spoilt, i will be having a living room without TV, a nice and cozy one to read books and drink tea
    TV is way over rated.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

OT: I find the ang-moh girl pretty cute...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    I like this!

After my old CRT TV spoilt, i will be having a living room without TV, a nice and cozy one to read books and drink tea
    I can see you in the living room without TV, without books and without tea but with a powerful binoculars in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Must you guys here always think in money? This is what kills the research and art environment here............there are things in life that can't be, measured in money

HS

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Nevermind if lose just send them back as we do to sports players and PUT IN BOLD that they are foreign imports hence losing is not because Singaporeans are lousy but because foreign imports never work hard. If they win however, proudly say they are Singaporeans by name who have adopted our country as their new motherland and have done it proud. Either way win win situation with foreign imports!
    What an evil way of thinking, only like to win on others back isn't it?........and just throw away if it doesn't work out?

looks like this thread is going to turn into trashing FT again......

Instead of working harder to be better, people here tend to complain only. Yes, they lost, but that is the push one needs to improve, if you just keep on complaining and try to think of ways out, then you will never improve.

Or complain when the FT are not doing well, or are 'taking away' jobs from Singaporeans, maybe you should think why foreigners are hired instead of Singaporeans, and think what you could do to, perhaps people here have higher expectations on the pay, which is perhaps not so realistic anymore? Foreigners also have to pay rental etc.....

Complaining doesn't solve anything......

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    woah......... that destroyed the life-long culture singaporeans grew up on.

everyone complains once in a while, now and then, not just singaporeans, people all over the world do it. but over reliance on making causal complaints as a form of stress-relieving activity will decrease the will to translate words into action, encourage procrastination, and eventually reduce such activities into nothing more than mental masturbation.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    Great link

Masturbation is like debating and arguing, the acts make you high.
    Complaining is more ilke mental ejaculation, after you shake out everything you feel good and relaxed.
    When tension build up, you repeat the whole process again.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 3rd April 2007 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    looks like this thread is going to turn into trashing FT again......

Instead of working harder to be better, people here tend to complain only. Yes, they lost, but that is the push one needs to improve, if you just keep on complaining and try to think of ways out, then you will never improve.

Or complain when the FT are not doing well, or are 'taking away' jobs from Singaporeans, maybe you should think why foreigners are hired instead of Singaporeans, and think what you could do to, perhaps people here have higher expectations on the pay, which is perhaps not so realistic anymore? Foreigners also have to pay rental etc.....

HS
    On the contrary, I would like to point out that we should be hiring FT for our elites instead.
    Our "elites" come from fame schools like RI, HC... etc.
    Whoever heard of one coming from a neighbourhood school?

Our garmen should hunt talents from UWC from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Great link

Complaining is more ilke mental ejaculation, after you shake out everything you feel good and relaxed.
    When tension build up, you repeat the whole process again.
    The above has nothing to do with our low birthrates, right?

Same old same old.

Turns to FT thrashing. Turns to uni student thrashing (best part is, if you have children these days you'd probably want them to go to uni and that's what's happening. EVERYONE's going to uni hey!).

=(

And no one answers my question. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    But wouldn't it be messy?

And who will clean up the mess?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    But wouldn't it be messy?

And who will clean up the mess?
    Who else, the moderators lah.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    And no one answers my question. =(
    Seek deep within yourself for the path to an answer for you'll walk out without fear.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast