Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Default Re: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

my take. HC deserves it. to me they are just plain talking without statistics no solid evidence to prove their grounds..

well... UWC was good i must say.. i am glad for UWC.

they(UWC) deserves it.

Default Re: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Er, my point wasn't that.

STILL NO ONE TELL ME THE AGE OF THE STUDENTS LEH. =( +( =(

Who cares about good school or bad school, debating has nothing to do with academics. I bet you you put all the top Harvard profs against some Taiwan Ah Beng skally the Taiwan Ah Beng also win in English debate lor.

Just pity the students.... sure kanna big time from peers and teachers.... "the ones that brought dishonour to the prestige of the school"

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Just pity the students.... sure kanna big time from peers and teachers.... "the ones that brought dishonour to the prestige of the school"

You think what, public stoning ar?!

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha View Post
    LOL! Something that James Lye would probably hope that everyone would sooner forget about i'd bet.
    VR Man rocks!

I remember this scene about would-be terrorists trying to sneak "porcelain pistols" on board an aircraft. And VR Man thwarts them! But one of the bad guys fires off a round and hits somebody. The victim slumps to the ground. VR man walks briskly to him, leans over and says...

"He's shot." (note the lack of an exclamation point!)

Anyway, w.r.t. The Arena, this is a wake-up call to sound out the need for a change in our education system. We're too focused on content. Our national exams, the 'O' and 'A'-Levels are very content heavy, and this is a system that the British have ditched over a decade ago! We know facts. (as proven by a lotta stats presented by our local students). Other systems teach kids how to FIND facts and USE them. But to be fair, MOE is trying its best to re-vamp the system, but by the time their ideas gets to the ground, it becomes something different altogether. And by and large, due to a lot of inertia and resistance from the schools, it's largely back to square one - forcing content down the throats of kids to prepare them for exams, instead of preparing them for life.

Note that it's only UWC that's representing the foreign schools here. Still got Australian sch, German School, Japanese School, American Sch, Canadian Sch etc, and each comprises only the expat community based here, and not the best that their representative countires have to offer. I wonder if they all took part, where would we really stand?
    Last edited by synapseman; 3rd April 2007 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

You think what, public stoning ar?!
    Wont kanna stoned but the smirk remarks made by peers is enough to kill... in addition snide remarks from teachers like "better make sure your grades are not like your points" Know of someone who failed a maths test... teacher said to him. "My class is for people who pass not for failures, for the rest of the semester, you will stand outside the class cos I have no place for failures in here..... " Ironic.. the one that needed help the most kanna kicked out the class.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    VR Man rocks!

I remember this scene about would-be terrorists trying to sneak "porcelain pistols" on board an aircraft. And VR Man thwarts them! But one of the bad guys fires off a round and hits somebody. The victim slumps to the ground. VR man walks briskly to him, leans over and says...

"He's shot." (note the lack of an exclamation point!)

Anyway, w.r.t. The Arena, this is a wake-up call to sound out the need for a change in our education system. We're too focused on content. Our national exams, the 'O' and 'A'-Levels are very content heavy, and this is a system that the British have ditched over a decade ago! We know facts. (as proven by a lotta stats presented by our local students). Other systems teach kids how to FIND facts and USE them. But to be fair, MOE is trying its best to re-vamp the system, but by the time their ideas gets to the ground, it becomes something different altogether. And by and large, due to a lot of inertia and resistance from the schools, it's largely back to square one - forcing content down the throats of kids to prepare them for exams, instead of preparing them for life.

Note that it's only UWC that's representing the foreign schools here. Still got Australian sch, German School, Japanese School, American Sch, Canadian Sch etc, and each comprises only the expat community based here, and not the best that their representative countires have to offer. I wonder if they all took part, where would we really stand?
    Agreed! We need problem solvers! Not people with just plain knowledge!........and not knowing how to use that knowledge in real life!

Knowledge and wisdom are two different things........

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Agreed! We need problem solvers! Not people with just plain knowledge!........and not knowing how to use that knowledge in real life!

HS
    I know of kids in the "high-ability" classes, walking encyclopaedia. Everything also know. But when it comes to relatively simple problem-solving questions, "teacher! how to do???? how to doo...????"

And it doesn't just stem from the schools. Parents especially, have a great part to play. They seem to do everything for their kids, and at the end of the day, the young ones can't really think on their feet. They want answers, and every question MUST have a definite, model answer. (If you study Science at a deeper level, you'd realise much of what we know are really just postulations). Of course, this is a generalisation. There ARE some kids who can be very perceptive at even a very young age. But I don't think this happens by random chance either. It's all a result of the nurturing process.

And if I may add on: Ten-year-series with model answers, and even worse, books on "model compositions" are IMHO, one of the worst things to come out of this country. I doubt other countries have such things. I've seen many exam (national exam) compo scripts and most of the kids will write about the same thing, till the point it gets extremely boring and predictable.
    Last edited by synapseman; 3rd April 2007 at 01:13 AM.

Wont kanna stoned but the smirk remarks made by peers is enough to kill... in addition snide remarks from teachers like "better make sure your grades are not like your points" Know of someone who failed a maths test... teacher said to him. "My class is for people who pass not for failures, for the rest of the semester, you will stand outside the class cos I have no place for failures in here..... " Ironic.. the one that needed help the most kanna kicked out the class.
    I was walking near Selegie rd. one fine day and stopped at a zebra crossing, next to me was a mother and her young daughter (must be around 12 years or so), this poor little girl kena scolded by the mother with words like "you are so stupid", little does the mother know that this little word 'stupid' will linger on in her head and can do harm psychologically.........now I wonder who is really stupid?

It is this kind of attitude, ticking off people, only seeing the faults but not the good things of others......

School is to learn, not to win some competition.

HS

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    I know of kids in the "high-ability" classes, walking encyclopaedia. Everything also know. But when it comes to relatively simple problem-solving questions, "teacher! how to do???? how to doo...????"

And it doesn't just stem from the schools. Parents especially, have a great part to play. They seem to do everything for their kids, and at the end of the day, the young ones can't really think on their feet. They want answers, and every question MUST have a definite, model answer. (If you study Science at a deeper level, you'd realise much of what we know are really just postulations). Of course, this is a generalisation. There ARE some kids who can be very perceptive at even a very young age. But I don't think this happens by random chance either. It's all a result of the nurturing process.
    there was an article recently about how our kids do well in the international areana, scoring tops in world academic contests and competitions but nothing big comes out later on in their adult life.

FACT: The adult world needs people with practical know-how than perfect walking britannicas... ( anyone still refers to the britannicas? now seems to be wiki everything...)
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

HS
    that's why people like me can only earn a living using my hands while those up there only need to open their mouths...
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    that's why people like me can only earn a living using my hands while those up there only need to open their mouths...
    That's why I resort to using my hands now, cause using my mouth up there also got no effect :-)

Some are just plain too stucked up and think they know better......

Heard from a taxi driver about a local University graduate, got a job as his boss, and started to tell him to do things as he had learnt from the books, but this guy with >20 years experience knows very well that those methods won't work, and yet he still has to follow that young guy's orders!

HS

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    FACT: The adult world needs people with practical know-how than perfect walking britannicas... ( anyone still refers to the britannicas? now seems to be wiki everything...)
    ME! I bought the 2007 Britannica Ultimate Reference Suite.

I'm quite old skool, yo.

..."My class is for people who pass not for failures, for the rest of the semester, you will stand outside the class cos I have no place for failures in here..... " Ironic.. the one that needed help the most kanna kicked out the class.
    Ironic, the parents of this kid will probably scold the kid too for being stupid. So much negative reinforcement, the kid will likely fail in school. With the current system we may very well have discarded a potential nobelaureate in literture ... but then, here in Singapore, who cares about the arts ...

... this poor little girl kena scolded by the mother with words like "you are so stupid", little does the mother know that this little word 'stupid' will linger on in her head and can do harm psychologically.........now I wonder who is really stupid?

It is this kind of attitude, ticking off people, only seeing the faults but not the good things of others......
    one day 40 years from now, the mother will be lamenting to her friends how horrible her daughter is, never visit, not supporting her, blah blah blah ... Someone ought to remind her how she treated her daughter when she was young.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    ok ok, I don't have Singapore channels ...
    For a moment I thought here's some one who escapes TV license every year...

I haven't seen the current show yet but judging from the trend of the past several years, it gets pretty boring after a while. I'd watch for probably 5 min if i happen to stumble upon it, good enough for laughing at the setup. Call me old school but I prefer the early 90s and late 80s style. There was passion , there was humor. Sometimes a few below the belt low blows followed by the sucker punch. Nowdays , its pretty much an ad nauseum monotonous prattling. Makes me wanna reach out , grab em' by the neck and smack left and right. "Stop babbling!"

I've always loved those morally grey taboo subjects. But sadly, these days they just treat it as purely academic..

Well, UWC is coached by an ex top debater from RI. And RI didn't send its debating team apparently. UWC deserved to win, but i reckon they won't have thrashed the other schools if the full strength teams were out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
    For a moment I thought here's some one who escapes TV license every year...

I haven't seen the current show yet but judging from the trend of the past several years, it gets pretty boring after a while. I'd watch for probably 5 min if i happen to stumble upon it, good enough for laughing at the setup. Call me old school but I prefer the early 90s and late 80s style. There was passion , there was humor. Sometimes a few below the belt low blows followed by the sucker punch. Nowdays , its pretty much an ad nauseum monotonous prattling. Makes me wanna reach out , grab em' by the neck and smack left and right. "Stop babbling!"

I've always loved those morally grey taboo subjects. But sadly, these days they just treat it as purely academic..
    I still do not own a TV, nor do I have cable, nor do I watch broadcast TV locally.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by allsmilez View Post
    Well, UWC is coached by an ex top debater from RI. And RI didn't send its debating team apparently. UWC deserved to win, but i reckon they won't have thrashed the other schools if the full strength teams were out.
    That is BS. We lost because we didn't send the top team! La Di La! If RI did not send their top team, they deserve to LOOSE.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

That is BS. We lost because we didn't send the top team! La Di La! If RI did not send their top team, they deserve to LOOSE.
    Yeah, lose means lose la. Anw, UWC also didn't send all debaters, yeps.

But then.. I'm still interested in their age. Mainly because I find it so peculiar that the papers left it out, almost deliberately.

I still do not own a TV, nor do I have cable, nor do I watch broadcast TV locally.
    I like this!

After my old CRT TV spoilt, i will be having a living room without TV, a nice and cozy one to read books and drink tea

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast