Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Default Re: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    Nah... CSer tends to go OT
    big time as well
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Default Re: United World College trounces Singapore top students in debating competition

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    apparently, we can't take defeat
    We can take defeat.

It's just we don't like defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by hASHbrown_kopitiam View Post
    CS shld send in a team or two.
    Our Star Debater is no more here leh.

I don't see why we must be no.1 all the time; Just because others win the debate doesn't mean we are loser.

Imagine all those countries which take part in a debate, and only one team can emerge as winner, do we see the others who did not make it as losers? OF course not. Yeah, there can only be one winner in a competition, right?

Don't see it as defeat, if that is what you only see, then you are not acknowledging all the other good characteristics about yourself as a whole person. Maybe you are good enough, but it's just that the other person scored a little bit more in certain areas and that makes all the difference in the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Our Star Debater is no more here leh.
    Oh.... u mean the one who left?
    Boh bian send the others in lor... sure can make the opponents
    Don't cry because its over,:)Smile because it happened.
    items for sale

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    sometimes I wonder whether singapore "top students" are really top students?
    Don't question the elites!!!
    They must be right!!!!

I am sure those students who took part in the debate are not pessimists. If they do, they will not be debaters in the first place. There is no cause for worries.

Maybe it is just the outsiders who see it as defeat, not the students.

We will show these International school kids next year who is nos 1, provided the mediacorp don't canned the show next year.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    I don't see why we must be no.1 all the time; Just because others win the debate doesn't mean we are loser.

Imagine all those countries which take part in a debate, and only one team can emerge as winner, do we see the others who did not make it as losers? OF course not. Yeah, there can only be one winner in a competition, right?

Don't see it as defeat, if that is what you only see, then you are not acknowledging all the other good characteristics about yourself as a whole person. Maybe you are good enough, but it's just that the other person scored a little bit more in certain areas and that makes all the difference in the result.

I think why the news picked up on the story is not the defeat. It is the CRUSHING defeat, scores of what? 90 something to a single digit..... And by who? Raffles Institutution... supposingly the school of elites and our future leaders. So it is like a debate between Havard and some unknown school.... and Havard loses big time..... 101 percent humilation.....

I pity the losers.... dont know how they will be treated by their peers in school.....

Perhaps, this is a wake-up call to all of us! Why must the Rafflesians always be the best in everything? Why not others?

We have always stereotyped these people as the best, that is why when they do not perform to our expectation, then something or somewhere is wrong in our education system.

I think it is the rigid mindset of the whole nation, that best school having the highest score should be the best and nobody can replace them.

It is very bad for our nation if the government think these students can only be our future government. Higher education equal to better government?

Actually, what got me is, and shame on me not knowing when I made the first comment, this is all because of a TV game show. OMG. I cannot believe it, that so much band width was poured into debating the hows and whys a certain school was beaten ins GAME SHOW.

Ok, I don't own a TV.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Actually, what got me is, and shame on me not knowing when I made the first comment, this is all because of a TV game show. OMG. I cannot believe it, that so much band width was poured into debating the hows and whys a certain school was beaten ins GAME SHOW.

Ok, I don't own a TV.
    Don't you at least take a peek at next flat's TV screen with a binoculars?

... might c something else....
    Don't cry because its over,:)Smile because it happened.
    items for sale

ok ok, I don't have Singapore channels ...
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    If the debate was in Mandarin, we'll lost to the China or Taiwan team, if its in Hokkien, we'll lose to the Taiwan Ah Beng as well. If in Singlish......... hmmmm
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Haha actually come to think of it, we might not lose if we do mandarin debate.... dont forget we "imported" alot of chinese students from China. Just send them.... sure can hold the ground.

Every competition only has one winner (or 1st placing). I think S'poreans just shouldn't take it too hard. Esp the Straits Times. Err...Making a big fuss out of it. I must admit that the UWC students are certainly better at pronounciation tho. Lol. The Arena is rather boring IMHO.

i have to agree with deadpoet, leejay, and a few others. there is a reason why this happened. i think if people look within, they know what the answer is without it being said. the ones that don't look within FIRST will not get the big picture.

anyways, better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    I think why the news picked up on the story is not the defeat. It is the CRUSHING defeat, scores of what? 90 something to a single digit..... And by who? Raffles Institutution... supposingly the school of elites and our future leaders. So it is like a debate between Havard and some unknown school.... and Havard loses big time..... 101 percent humilation.....

I pity the losers.... dont know how they will be treated by their peers in school.....

Quote Originally Posted by johnlim View Post
    Perhaps, this is a wake-up call to all of us! Why must the Rafflesians always be the best in everything? Why not others?

We have always stereotyped these people as the best, that is why when they do not perform to our expectation, then something or somewhere is wrong in our education system.

I think it is the rigid mindset of the whole nation, that best school having the highest score should be the best and nobody can replace them.

It is very bad for our nation if the government think these students can only be our future government. Higher education equal to better government?

When you think you are the best, thats when you are the weakest.........look at the Titanic (watching it now on TV), the captian thought he had an unsinkable ship and went almost full power.

Staying on top is harder then reaching it.......

Anyway, good grades doesn't say anything about a student, or a school for that matter.

HS

Shattering a few illusions is always good.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast