Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 92

Thread: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

  1. #61
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ...It just needs one day of disaster to create big hoo-ha hor...

    Do you know how much stadiums cost to build or not?

    Google "stadium construction price" hor. I see a lot of "billions" mentioned, not millions.

    I love how people like to state things without any facts to back them up.
    hehehehe!!

    to quote someone from CS... TELL ME!! wahahahahaha
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  2. #62

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    I can tell you something right now. Wireless router from Singnet sucks like hell, what 9WIRE or 2WIRE or what. Laggy like hell only at night. Don't know what's up with it. Temperamental. But anyways:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    This one should be in USD too.
    The price of the new football stadium for the New York Giants and New York Jets has risen by $600 million to $1.4 billion.

    "Costs continue to go up," said Alice McGillion, a spokeswoman for New Meadowlands Stadium Corp., a company that represents the team owners.

    The teams awarded a contract to Swedish construction company Skanska AB, which said Friday it had received a $998 million order to design and build the open-air stadium at the Meadowlands sports complex in East Rutherford, N.J.

    "It shows the continued momentum and we are on the timeline that we need to be for a 2010 opening," McGillion said Friday.

    The teams, which announced the joint venture in 2005, originally estimated costs at about $800 million.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirate...note-key_facts
    The stadium project cost £390 million, but not all was for the actual construction of the stadium itself.[2]
    0.o

    http://goliath.ecnext.com/comsite5/b...d=0199-5029915
    The Gulf Coast hurricanes may push construction costs sharply higher for several years, experts say, potentially adding millions of dollars in costs to the $625 million football stadium as well as other public projects in their early stages.
    Also in USD hor.

    Enough boh?

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    if this thread is meant to be an accumulation of dislikes for anything new, i've nothing to say.

    if it's meant to be a review on one of the design proposal, i think we can come up with better arguement rather than 'how to do the kallang wave' 'this looks like toilet bowl' 'are we having waterpolo and soccer together' 'are the audience going to fall into water' 'wait the soccer ball fly into the water how' etc.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    if this thread is meant to be an accumulation of dislikes for anything new, i've nothing to say.

    if it's meant to be a review on one of the design proposal, i think we can come up with better arguement rather than 'how to do the kallang wave' 'this looks like toilet bowl' 'are we having waterpolo and soccer together' 'are the audience going to fall into water' 'wait the soccer ball fly into the water how' etc.
    still dun like the first design.

    let's wait for the next two.

    saving grace, perhaps?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  5. #65

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    if this thread is meant to be an accumulation of dislikes for anything new, i've nothing to say.

    if it's meant to be a review on one of the design proposal, i think we can come up with better arguement rather than 'how to do the kallang wave' 'this looks like toilet bowl' 'are we having waterpolo and soccer together' 'are the audience going to fall into water' 'wait the soccer ball fly into the water how' etc.
    Wellll we like to think that we are a stupid bunch! =D =D =D

    Actually in National Stadium soccer ball also can fly into Kallang Basin mar!

  6. #66

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    if this thread is meant to be an accumulation of dislikes for anything new, i've nothing to say.

    if it's meant to be a review on one of the design proposal, i think we can come up with better arguement rather than 'how to do the kallang wave' 'this looks like toilet bowl' 'are we having waterpolo and soccer together' 'are the audience going to fall into water' 'wait the soccer ball fly into the water how' etc.
    it is not about disliking anything new. it is about disliking having things which people dun need urgently now, things which uses money that can be actually spent in better things like subsidies etc.

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    seriously, it's sickening how people can complain that the system here lacks creativity, lacks freedom etc. and then when something different happens everyone jumps in to crucify it.

    at least when we disagree, we disagree with well thought arguement ... no wonder Singapore kids lost the debate ... anyway, i think we shouldn't be overly disturbed over a toilet seat cover when there are plenty of toilet seat covers all over the world which people take pride and joy in. let's see the other proposals before being too quick on dismissing anything. who knows, proposal 2 and 3 might range from sea urchin to octopus ... sushi anyone?

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    it is not about disliking anything new. it is about disliking having things which people dun need urgently now, things which uses money that can be actually spent in better things like subsidies etc.
    then go and collect signatures, submit petition, rally support from communities, write long essays to straitstimes forum etc etc and tell the authorities that there are enough people to not want a new stadium.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    National pride also important, lah. I agree we need a world class sports hub. Attract more investors, foreign talent, etc. Then if F1 comes in, lagi best.

    Malaysia already got Shah Alam Stadium, we all cannot lose out leh!

    I'd like a new stadium, but well, I think the gold colour stadium is a bit orbit lor...

  10. #70

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    then go and collect signatures, submit petition, rally support from communities, write long essays to straitstimes forum etc etc and tell the authorities that there are enough people to not want a new stadium.
    be realistic. you think singapore governmant will allow that? if there have to be a reason why i dun mind this new stadium, it will be that i can do nothing about it. if that's your argument, fine, you win. because i can do nothing about it, i should just shut up. btw, mods should remove almost all the kopitiam threads too, cos almost every thread is like that. none of the CSers can do anything about the issues raised.

    edit: but i do find this new stadium very appealling. the water-front and the funky shape is really very refreshing. i just find that by stating so openly that garment is spending so much on a new stadium, it really seems to be like mocking at those poors who really need moeny now.
    Last edited by satay16; 3rd April 2007 at 01:51 AM.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    be realistic. you think singapore governmant will allow that? if there have to be a reason why i dun mind this new stadium, it will be that i can do nothing about it. if that's your argument, fine, you win. because i can do nothing about it, i should just shut up. btw, mods should remove almost all the kopitiam threads too, cos almost every thread is like that. none of the CSers can do anything about the issues raised.
    why won't the authorities allow it? remember the effort counts, you haven't seen how some people fought really hard with the authorities regarding the tearing down of Stamford Library. though their contributions did not change the course of things then, what they left are valuable experience for future reference and we know the library did not go without a well fought arguement against the final decision. that stays as a record, in future when similar things are going to happen, we can look back at that particular chapter to start the discourse going again. it's not always about winning the authorities, it speaks of how much the people care enough to even make the effort to offer alternatives to the norm.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    why won't the authorities allow it? remember the effort counts, you haven't seen how some people fought really hard with the authorities regarding the tearing down of Stamford Library. though their contributions did not change the course of things then, what they left are valuable experience for future reference and we know the library did not go without a well fought arguement against the final decision. that stays as a record, in future when similar things are going to happen, we can look back at that particular chapter to start the discourse going again. it's not always about winning the authorities, it speaks of how much the people care enough to even make the effort to offer alternatives to the norm.
    but i just find it really like a mockery. poor needs money, and government here openly declaring throwing 600 million into a stadium. it just doesn't seem right.

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    edit: but i do find this new stadium very appealling. the water-front and the funky shape is really very refreshing. i just find that by stating so openly that garment is spending so much on a new stadium, it really seems to be like mocking at those poors who really need moeny now.
    CS has a no politics policy, so i can't say too much about that. i believe the straitstimes forum will welcome your letter on the issue you see.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I love how people like to state things without any facts to back them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    geee, but i hate that.
    satay16, i hope you mean what you say.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    will the soccer ball fly out of tat gap ? wat a waste to have a gap there ? it can be created with more seats....

  16. #76

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    why won't the authorities allow it? remember the effort counts, you haven't seen how some people fought really hard with the authorities regarding the tearing down of Stamford Library. though their contributions did not change the course of things then, what they left are valuable experience for future reference and we know the library did not go without a well fought arguement against the final decision. that stays as a record, in future when similar things are going to happen, we can look back at that particular chapter to start the discourse going again. it's not always about winning the authorities, it speaks of how much the people care enough to even make the effort to offer alternatives to the norm.
    Hi, the best example of effort being rewarded is Chek Jawa. =)

    There, now satay can suck thumb and keep quiet already.. I'm sure you remember what this was about? =D

  17. #77

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    but i just find it really like a mockery. poor needs money, and government here openly declaring throwing 600 million into a stadium. it just doesn't seem right.
    ...The poor always need money... If not they will not be poor...

    And I hope I'm not being too condescending in saying that there will always be poor. And we still have to move on, while trying to help them out along the way. But a fine balance has to be maintained. You cannot just spoonfeed them, no? Else where would there be any incentive to work harder?

    I can tell you that every country has its poor, and there are times when you cannot just spend all the extra money on the poor. It is a very ludicrous suggestion to say that the 600 million should be spent on some new-fangled progress package or something. Do you think China has its poor? Definitely. Yet look at the Olympics drive. It is draining a lot of resources.

  18. #78
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    it is not a resentment against new or fanciful design. hey, i've accepted the durian designs long ago, what else i couldn't accept??



    main grouse, the design is pathetic and if it reminds me of the world's oldest profession, then again i might haf the world's most fantastic imagination, but it really looks awful.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    so wads the "wow" factor? the form (horseshoe design) or d function (a place tt will b used by many), or d price?

    hope the new stadium will b a place we will b proud enough to call our own!

  20. #80

    Default Re: Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare
    Do you know how much stadiums cost to build or not?
    Google "stadium construction price" hor. I see a lot of "billions" mentioned, not millions.
    I love how people like to state things without any facts to back them up.

    If we need to cough up billions of dollars to build a stadium, then i think we are getting our priorities wrong.

    I love how people focus on the wow factor over a social issue.

    Last edited by Deceased; 4th April 2007 at 01:53 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •