Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    100% crop? If you mean straight from the camera, yes.

    Sharpness, contrast, saturation and brightness are set to 0, if I remember correctly.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    100% crop? If you mean straight from the camera, yes.

    Sharpness, contrast, saturation and brightness are set to 0, if I remember correctly.
    He means:

    1. Zooming 100% into the picture
    2. Crop a portion

    And post it in this thread.


    I'll maybe post a crop of the squirrel's eye later. Kinda feeling lazy to dig out my DVD archives.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    100% crop? If you mean straight from the camera, yes.

    Sharpness, contrast, saturation and brightness are set to 0, if I remember correctly.
    yes like Hoky have said... its pretty pointless to post a full resize pic here, even a cheapo kit lens can achieve reasonable sharpness at the small size.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    Oh. Understand. That's true. I just took the picture I have and posted it up. Haha.

    Last edited by cantaresg; 1st April 2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: adding picture

  5. #25

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    Question;

    No matter what I read, I still couldn't understand the meaning of 1:1 ratio for Macro lens.

    It says that a 1cm image will create exactly a 1cm image on your sensor. Seems easy to understand, but I can still fill up the whole frame with a focal range of 300m.

    i.e zoom in all the way and let a butterfly fill the whole frame and still achieve a focus. Isn't it the same as using a macro lens to fill up the frame?

    Anyone can explain?

    Thanks in advance

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    Quote Originally Posted by rc1q2w3e4r View Post
    Question;

    No matter what I read, I still couldn't understand the meaning of 1:1 ratio for Macro lens.

    It says that a 1cm image will create exactly a 1cm image on your sensor. Seems easy to understand, but I can still fill up the whole frame with a focal range of 300m.

    i.e zoom in all the way and let a butterfly fill the whole frame and still achieve a focus. Isn't it the same as using a macro lens to fill up the frame?

    Anyone can explain?

    Thanks in advance
    but can a 23mm object(real life) fill up the whole frame using this lens? if not you ain't achieve 1:1 and also the sharpness is way different when compared to a true 1:1 macro lens

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Agree.

    I have this lens and another one is Nikkor 60mm Micro.

    I prefer Sigma to shoot butterfly, dragonfly as I can shoot them from about 70cm distance.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    minimum focus distance is 95cm.. i have this lens as well.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    this lens is superb for newbies like me
    from this pic


    100% crop gets
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    this lens is superb for newbies like me
    from this pic


    100% crop gets
    Hi bro, you use a tripod for this shot? I old man leh...... hands not as steady as compared to a young man.....
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Hi bro, you use a tripod for this shot? I old man leh...... hands not as steady as compared to a young man.....
    handheld, lighting was good.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  11. #31

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    i shot this moth on my room's wall with my D70s & 70-300mm.
    Shutter speed: 1/8s
    Aperture: f/32



    Decent telephoto for its price, but it's quite soft at f/5.6. Usually i try to shoot above f/8.
    YMMV

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    765

    Default Re: Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO (how to improve)

    wonder why my picture looks a bit soft. wonder if its due to something wrong with camera which is down for servicing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •