Thread: Newbie Needs Help

Default Newbie Needs Help

Hi people,
    Newbie here. New to photography and need help to take decent shoot.
    Own a CASIO EXILIM Z60. Always take lousy picture at night. Need help in the setting.
    How do i improve on the brightness and clarity?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited by guruking; 29th March 2007 at 09:18 PM.

Default Re: Newbie Needs Help

for the first one, you need a exposure lock on the current scene with fill-in flash to get the dark background.

second one, you need a tripod and a reduction in your iso settings.

if i am not wrg, wide aperture, high ISO, stable tripod... if u can use timer so u reduce even more shaking correct me if i am wrg

Quote Originally Posted by happyepower View Post
    if i am not wrg, wide aperture, high ISO, stable tripod... if u can use timer so u reduce even more shaking correct me if i am wrg
    i think iso use lowest best. since have tripod already, having lower iso can have lesser noise.

i thought when in low light and have tripod, one is encourage to bring up the ISO? dun tell me i got it competely opposite.

for nite photoshoot, u need to use tripod to prevent cam shake. use the night landscape for shooting. think your cam should have that mode. nite photoshoot needs higher iso.. there might be higher noise in the photo as well..

the second pic if i did nt guess wrgly, is the ISo high? n u r using ur hand...

Quote Originally Posted by happyepower View Post
    i thought when in low light and have tripod, one is encourage to bring up the ISO? dun tell me i got it competely opposite.
    well........ i use high iso only in low light photography without tripod.

if low light but with tripod, then handshake is not a problem. so can afford to have lesser noise and decrease ISO.

I didnt use tripod for both photo.

Can i conclude:
    1. for night scenery shoot, i need a tripod? if no tripod how?
    2. for non scenery shoot, need higher ISO..i.e. ISO 200 and above?

Quote Originally Posted by guruking View Post

Can i conclude:
    1. If you do not have a tripod, get one. Alternatively, find a stable support to put your camera (eg on a table).

2. Well, it depends on the situation. If can get a stable support, then shoot using low ISO which will lessen the noise. If handheld, you got to bump up your ISO to get a decent shot but do watch out for handshake and consider the noise level. You may want to try different settings and see which suits your style best.

Personally, I would advise you to get a cheap but steady tripod. Since your camera is quite light, shouldn't be difficult to get a decent tripod.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

If the place is very dark, your first shot considers the best effect by many cameras.

as for 2nd shot, you have to use a support like tripod to capture better shots.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by guruking View Post

Can i conclude:
    no tripod, den find a object to lean against also can.. like outdoors, can lean against lamp post or tree trunk as examples..

2. non-scenary dun realli command high iso.. it is usually night scenes that need high iso..

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    no tripod, den find a object to lean against also can.. like outdoors, can lean against lamp post or tree trunk as examples..

2. non-scenary dun realli command high iso.. it is usually night scenes that need high iso..
    erm.. bro.. night scenery u use high iso for what? got tripod then use low iso... less noise...

when freezing motion.. use higher iso.. maybe 400 or even 800 and fill in flash... this will allow u to get some lighted background.. and the flash will illuminate ur subject... but if it's too dark then forget it.. just use the flash and slightly lower iso.. maybe 200...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    erm.. bro.. night scenery u use high iso for what? got tripod then use low iso... less noise...

when freezing motion.. use higher iso.. maybe 400 or even 800 and fill in flash... this will allow u to get some lighted background.. and the flash will illuminate ur subject... but if it's too dark then forget it.. just use the flash and slightly lower iso.. maybe 200...
    if no tripod, den no choice also.. up the iso lor.... this is only applicable to night scenary..

wow....sound very chiem....think must shoot and experiment but scare i miss out the impt scene.

For me, basically use a tripod, mirror lock-up, cable release and low ISO to reduce the noise. If I have some subjects in the foreground, then perhaps use a slow sync flash?