Thread: Tips of getting started to find ppl to form a studio.

Default Tips of getting started to find ppl to form a studio.

To ppl interested in setting up a studio,

1. At least involve 3 ppl. So that when got disagreedment, the 3rd person will be important, like casting a votes.

2. Must be able to commit. Get full timers on photography i believe is a must, so that bussiness can grow w/o disrpution.

3. Share same area of photography, like all got do weddings, etc, then slowly see which area will be the niche for individuals.

4. Must have a transparency systems in studio, so that no body can claim anything.
    eg: Like booking the usage of studio in advance.

5. Basic agreedments on rental must be able to acheive, so that nobody can back out last min. eg: whoever wanna leave must pay 6 mths in advance for rental.

6. Who will lead? Leader gotta ensure all follow rules.

7. Must have at least 2 person who knows lightings, i mean good enough to shoot a glass.

8. 1 person must own a car.

9. Direction of studio must be there. Alot of studio owners, new or old, got no direction at all, so beware.

I type it last min, so will update when got time to really think. Pt number 9 is very very important.

Default Re: Tips of getting started to find ppl to form a studio.

10. When selecting photographers, first important criteria will be character. Honest will bring harmony to studio. Imagine a cheater in studio, who lies here and there.

11. There will be conflicts on who spent more, so just need to sit and talk.

13. Insurrance must buy, imagine fire or thieft, then quarrels will erupt.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    10. When selecting photographers, first important criteria will be character. Honest will bring harmony to studio. Imagine a cheater in studio, who lies here and there.

11. There will be conflicts on who spent more, so just need to sit and talk.

13. Insurrance must buy, imagine fire or thieft, then quarrels will erupt.
    i totally agree on the 10. personality. and qualities count..

the photogs must also click... what Chinese would call Mo4Qi4... sometimes you can have good honest hardworking people but they just don't click... but can only know this in time...

True photographer must be able to click, but that will only tells in time.

Before starting to set up, first need to ask, how to bring in bussiness. How to reach out to the crowd u wanna get.

Bussiness will not come to you, you gotta search for it. Setting up studio means throwing $$$ in it, you need to rent a place, deposit say 2 mths rental, renovate it, buy stuffs..............account for telephone, deposit afew hundreds cos bussiness apply, utilities deposit $500 cos bussiness etc, meaning throwing say abt at least 5k to 6k in it, depending. But is that all??? I haven include the lightings system okay!!!

No way, cos monthly landlord will come and ask for $$$, same goes to water and electricity, not to forget telephone and ur handphone.

Then how abt internet? Then u need to set up website? Then u need to get client's list, print name cards, send out large amount of email to ppl, especially PR company as a start.

Then how? Sit and wait, no, u gotta make arrangements to meet customer, Advertising agency if u going into commercial.

Then how? Still no bussiness? Pray?

No, u need to work double hard to get instant income, u can join roadshow, but thats means throwing $$$ in it, so can join hand with bridal shop, but they pay low and late.

So how? This is the least u need to figure out b4 u wanna set up a studio.

There are alot studio out there, some wanna ppl to rent from them cos they are not earning much, some can eat papaya cos they born rich? Which u belongs to???
    Last edited by fotoudavid; 29th March 2007 at 07:09 PM.

Well said! Indeed it is more than simply the technicality of acquiring hardware and a place for a studio. Most folks tend to forget that one needs to have marketing and business qualities to run the business apart from knowing photography.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Well said! Indeed it is more than simply the technicality of acquiring hardware and a place for a studio. Most folks tend to forget that one needs to have marketing and business qualities to run the business apart from knowing photography.
    i suffer b4, and i fall hard, but never give up.

Must really know how to select partners.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    i suffer b4, and i fall hard, but never give up.

Must really know how to select partners.
    so,what r u trying to say in this link?pls advice
    ur u trying to get partners or ???????????
    i in this line since 95....time are better during the old days
    PLS ADVICE

Quote Originally Posted by studiolabmaster View Post
    so,what r u trying to say in this link?pls advice
    ur u trying to get partners or ???????????
    i in this line since 95....time are better during the old days
    PLS ADVICE
    Hi there,

I got many colleagues now, and have been in harmony since 2002, though got abit hiccups here and there, but manage to solve it, issue here is sit down and talk.
    So my point here is to let ppl who are interested to set up studio to think before act. I believe you have alot experience to share too, why not put it here, let the young to digest, to believe and think.

Times are indeed better before, but today still can make it, depends how you wanna be.

Direction must be clear, and visions for studio must be far. Talk easy, do it difficult.

My shifu recently also have 2 more commercial photographers join in, i dun know abt his systems, but it works. Base on what i know aby my shifu, he is a honest guy, never beat ard the bush, so i believe tansparancy is what he manage to crave out.

By sharing, or forming a group is the key to cut down bussiness cost, but will also direct to self destruction, manage it with care and transparancy is important.

You see, when got 3 or more photographers together, some clients will switch side, they may be your client for last year, but this year after viewing your colleague works, client decided to use your colleague, how are you going to handle? Again transparency comes in.

You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

merger and spliting is always happening, the only way is to avoid conflicts.
    By laying out terms and conditions in paper is good, avoid verbal agreedments.

Deregistered

I share Smurfman's sentiments too.

My own startup was a mad rollercoaster at the start, with people coming and going, and not a few "friendships" lost. For I get to see what kinds of "friends" and "partners" I want to have. Some just want a free ride, others just want to eat you up. But there are some good people around. You just need to find the right people to work with, the right good people to have around you.

That was in 2004. Later half of 2005 saw the right people coming into my circle and that helped growth and was a great spur to the business. Today we've a pool of my former PAs coming together with us for regular sharing/makan/coffee. And a few of them still help out every now and then, continuing to add value to the business. The level of openness amongst us can be counted as very rare in Asian societies, I daresay.

I do not doubt for a moment that I have my fair share of enemies, too - folks who are envious, or just hateful of the fact we parted ways. There will always be people who won't see eye-to-eye with you. Or crazy people who just want conflicts. Just keep them out of your life and you'll be a lot happier.

Know what you want and where you are going, too. If there is complementation, so much the better. If not, keep clear lines of responsibility. There are many who can do lots, but are spent passing the time. There are also those who are merely dreaming. Then there are those who've changed the game. Which do you want to be?

this is a very rare post for me in this forum, to reveal so much....

Selecting capable intelligent people

Once there was this saying: you are what you write.
    Sharing brings out the beauty in us.
    What about this set of start up questions and observations from experienced entrepreneurs?

1. Is the initial set of employees in a new venture can be also known as the “founders” team?

2. Does anyone ever has as much intensity or concern as the founder?

3. Are you prepared that eventually a high percentage of your team or employees will inevitably desert, move to greener pasture or be fired.

4. Do you agree that the one principle which a man must follow if he wants to succeed is to learn all about hiring, training, and human behavior?

5. That all members of the “founders” team must learned the fundamentals and then teach others how to sell their products and services. They have to follow a written formula of hiring others to do jobs initially handled by the pioneering founder.

6. Selecting people most suitable for the need of the team takes time, testing and long period of interviewing. Avoid at all cost enormously aggressive people who put their placement needs in front of your special requirements. Remember you will succeed with bright, energetic, sincere, honest, grateful people of the highest integrity. It is not so easy to find such individuals especially among those with an armload of educational qualifications.

7. What are the top desirable qualities that would fit the job descriptions of being a member of the “founders” team?

------------------------------------------------------
    Every individuals will have at least one or more major flaw
    or drawback and most likely a few lesser ones. Once you identify
    this weakness you have to work around it so are the people
    who work with you as they go about making same adjustments to
    your own shortcomings.