Thread: Compact Flash question

Default Compact Flash question

Hi,

If my camera can take both Type I and Type II CF card, and the Type II is $20 cheaper than the Type I (SimpleTech 512MB), are there any compelling reason to go for the Type I?

Thanks!

Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Default Re: Compact Flash question

Originally posted by roygoh
    Hi,

If my camera can take both Type I and Type II CF card, and the Type II is $20 cheaper than the Type I (SimpleTech 512MB), are there any compelling reason to go for the Type I?

Thanks!

Roy
    I believe the price diff is because of the brand. Is the type I also SimpleTech? CF card has many diff speed, that's why you see all the price diff.

Type II is thicker. FYI IBM Microdrive is a type II card. Some people say that type II is faster, but I dont have any fact to prove.

cheers

Default Re: Re: Compact Flash question

Originally posted by hanoman
    I believe the price diff is because of the brand. Is the type I also SimpleTech? CF card has many diff speed, that's why you see all the price diff.

Type II is thicker. FYI IBM Microdrive is a type II card. Some people say that type II is faster, but I dont have any fact to prove.

cheers
    You are right. The difference was because of brand and also from different online shops.

I found both Type I and Type II SimpleTech 512MB from the same website selling for US$139. SimpleTech is also offering $50 mail in rebate if the purchase is made in Mar.

Without free shipping and no tax, the final price will then be US$89.

That's the best deal I can find for now.

Thanks!

Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

By the way can anyone comment on the quality and performance of SimpleTech, as compared to Sandisk and Lexar?

Default Re: Re: Re: Compact Flash question

May I know which website that was?

You are right. The difference was because of brand and also from different online shops.

I found both Type I and Type II SimpleTech 512MB from the same website selling for US$139. SimpleTech is also offering $50 mail in rebate if the purchase is made in Mar.

Without free shipping and no tax, the final price will then be US$89.

That's the best deal I can find for now.

Thanks!

Roy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Compact Flash question

Originally posted by Radix Lecti
    May I know which website that was?
    www.cdw.com

Another option is www.buy.com. $155.99 - $10 coupon - $50 rebate = $95.99.

By the way can anyone comment on the quality and performance of SimpleTech, as compared to Sandisk and Lexar?
    Read this though it is a little dated. Avoid the normal SanDisk like plague.

Default Re: Compact Flash question

Hi,

Roy
    Yes. Most cameras that take Type II CF will also take Type I. Those that only take Type I cannot take Type II since Type II is thicker. Therefore, more cameras can use Type I than Type II. You have to see if this is an important factor.

Speed is not determined by Type I or II, but on the CF itself.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Compact Flash question

www.cdw.com

Another option is www.buy.com. $155.99 - $10 coupon - $50 rebate = $95.99.
    But be careful. Not all companies honor rebates outside the US. In other words, some companies require the rebates to be sent to a US address, so you can only go this route if you have a friend or address in US.

Default Re: Re: Compact Flash question

Originally posted by chriszzz
    Yes. Most cameras that take Type II CF will also take Type I. Those that only take Type I cannot take Type II since Type II is thicker. Therefore, more cameras can use Type I than Type II. You have to see if this is an important factor.

Speed is not determined by Type I or II, but on the CF itself.
    CF I is automatically compatible to CF II as defined in the standards. But CF II is slightly thicker, 3.3 vs 5mm, that is why it is physically impossible to put CF II into a CF I only slot.

Anyway, you did notice his location...

Originally posted by Watcher
    Read this though it is a little dated. Avoid the normal SanDisk like plague.
    Thanks! That's the information I am looking for.

Noticed that the SimpleTech 512MB I am considering is included in that review, and wow, the street price back then was $400???

Thanks again!

And thanks to all who have replied. Have a nice day!

- Roy