Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overseas trip

Default Re: Overseas trip

When in doubt, bring a cheapo PnS, or a cheaper film SLR.

It is safe! Bring your camera. That is what it is for! taking pics!
    Dont be afraid, the most you lose a camera but bringing it u gain experience and memories!!!

Bring a few zip-lock bags when u are in boat.But no worries, the boat they use are relatively big.
    Some other things that you may want to bring:
    1. extra memory cards
    2. plug adapter (for battery charger)
    3. extra batteries if u are using external flash
    4.filter (sun is strong)

Common sense applies when in foreign country.Keep it close, keep it dry.
    Keep camera bag as hand carry(try not to check in). remember hand carry bag is limited to 7kg.
    In area that is cultural sensitive, ask first before u snap.
    If u want to have your own pics ticken, ask friends to do it or ang moh tourist.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    When in doubt, bring a cheapo PnS, or a cheaper film SLR.
    thumb up for a cheapo PnS.. small n compact.. cool.. hee...

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    relatively safer than some and very much more safe than some others. of cos there are some similar places too.
    Singapore also has robbery, gang-fight, murder, cheating etc, no different than other cities. The only main difference is Singapore laws are harsh, to deter ppl from commiting crimes.
    To TS, I think countries like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam are as safe as Singapore, but u still need to be careful to avoid petty crimes such as pickpockets, fake jewelery etc.

Quote Originally Posted by happyepower View Post
    hi all!

need as much comments as possible. my sch is planning to bring pupils to going to cambodia... i am one of those selected but not confirm yet...

thinking of bringing my d80 there and i am not sure if its safe... and what equipments shld i bring there?

and is backpack or sling better for these kinda trips?

thanks in advance.....

PS: i know smethin likedat have been posted before but i nt sure where is it so sori n plz giv comments....
    I dunno much abt Cambodia...but i hope my experience in Taipei may help

U should get a backpack to carry ur D80 and maybe a notebook. If ur luggage allows perhaps bring another bag, be it a sling type or smaller backpack style.

Why another bag?

There will be days u might be doing something that might not need all the equipment on ur body. Not forgetting restrictions or laziness. An example will be shopping - u dun really need to bring a tripod.

Since scenery is great at that place, a tripod is a must. Extra batteries, flash, charger, cleaning kit should not be forgotten.

ANd one last thing, u are damn lucky to own a DSLR, considering u r a sec sch student. Some of us may need to be in the working society in order to purchase our own digicam. So, take good care of ur cam

It is safe! Bring your camera. That is what it is for! taking pics!
    Dont be afraid, the most you lose a camera but bringing it u gain experience and memories!!!

Bring a few zip-lock bags when u are in boat.But no worries, the boat they use are relatively big.
    Some other things that you may want to bring:
    1. extra memory cards
    2. plug adapter (for battery charger)
    3. extra batteries if u are using external flash
    4.filter (sun is strong)

Common sense applies when in foreign country.Keep it close, keep it dry.
    Keep camera bag as hand carry(try not to check in). remember hand carry bag is limited to 7kg.
    In area that is cultural sensitive, ask first before u snap.
    If u want to have your own pics ticken, ask friends to do it or ang moh tourist.

Have fun!
    Thanks

Singapore also has robbery, gang-fight, murder, cheating etc, no different than other cities. The only main difference is Singapore laws are harsh, to deter ppl from commiting crimes.
    To TS, I think countries like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam are as safe as Singapore, but u still need to be careful to avoid petty crimes such as pickpockets, fake jewelery etc.
    i agree,but i also believe SGP much safer is cos SGP small

I dunno much abt Cambodia...but i hope my experience in Taipei may help

U should get a backpack to carry ur D80 and maybe a notebook. If ur luggage allows perhaps bring another bag, be it a sling type or smaller backpack style.

Why another bag?

There will be days u might be doing something that might not need all the equipment on ur body. Not forgetting restrictions or laziness. An example will be shopping - u dun really need to bring a tripod.

Since scenery is great at that place, a tripod is a must. Extra batteries, flash, charger, cleaning kit should not be forgotten.

ANd one last thing, u are damn lucky to own a DSLR, considering u r a sec sch student. Some of us may need to be in the working society in order to purchase our own digicam. So, take good care of ur cam
    i dun think i will be bringing a tripodcos i will not be able to carry so much and walk everywhere... ( must rem tat sch are all veri budget1)

Anyway thanks all!!!

Thanks

i agree,but i also believe SGP much safer is cos SGP small

i dun think i will be bringing a tripodcos i will not be able to carry so much and walk everywhere... ( must rem tat sch are all veri budget1)

Anyway thanks all!!!
    I strongly suggest u bring one. U never know when u need the steadies to get a particular shot...

Thanks

Anyway thanks all!!!
    no need to always bring them around. in fact most ppl dun. leave it in the hotel, bring out when you think you need it.

should i bring a normal tripod or i shld bring a manfotto tripod? cos the norm light n more portable...

IMO, I would rather risk lossing the camera than to lose any opportunities to capture some memorable shots.

Quote Originally Posted by CT 3833 View Post
    IMO, I would rather risk lossing the camera than to lose any opportunities to capture some memorable shots.
    hahaha, but when you really loose your equipment, do you still think you will think that way?

should i bring a normal tripod or i shld bring a manfotto tripod? cos the norm light n more portable...
    are you concerned about rock solid sharpness which you may or may not be able to tell? if you find that you can't tell the difference, and you are worried about weight esp if you need to travel far from hotel, then you can consider a lighter tripod in non-windy plains such as cambodia.

Quote Originally Posted by CT 3833 View Post
    very garang.. heeh..

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    very garang.. heeh..
    whats garang? can someone enlighten me?

whats garang? can someone enlighten me?
    garang - a slang term for acting brave, hero, strong..

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    garang - a slang term for acting brave, hero, strong..
    oh thanks...

another qns is there any thing there i should observe when takin pic? like temple all those...??

it's safe to bring your dslr to cambodia, but ofcourse you should look after your things too.. i've been there last year and brought a backpack to balance the weight on my shoulders.. we had long walks that time and do bring a big water bottle for hydration..

oh thanks...

another qns is there any thing there i should observe when takin pic? like temple all those...??
    perhaps ask for permission first.. as a way of showing respect to others..

oh thanks...

in general, it depends on what you shoot and where you shoot.

for people, it depends on your distance from the subject. anything near, you shoot at least smile or make gestures before shooting. if you can communicate with them and would like to do so, you can do it before shooting.

for open spaces, there is usually more freedom. if walled up, some places may restrict photography for security reasons, e.g. customs, DMZ, but some places unethically restrict photography so that they can sell you lousy shots of postcards. watch out for signboard, and do things discretely at your discretion. asking may not help becos they may or may not speak your languages, and in the mentality of these people, it is always safer for them to say no, even if it is actually allowed.

for enclosed sheltered places, again security locations, and some places where flash may affect the antiques or preserved materials, e.g museums. even if you do not use flash, they can never ensure that is done, so museums usually flatly ban you from bringing in, making you leave your expensive stuff with them at your own insurance cover - which means if they lose or damage your stuff, your own problems.

for sensitive events, ask. e.g. funerals, ceremonies, cremation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    in general, it depends on what you shoot and where you shoot.

for people, it depends on your distance from the subject. anything near, you shoot at least smile or make gestures before shooting. if you can communicate with them and would like to do so, you can do it before shooting.

for open spaces, there is usually more freedom. if walled up, some places may restrict photography for security reasons, e.g. customs, DMZ, but some places unethically restrict photography so that they can sell you lousy shots of postcards. watch out for signboard, and do things discretely at your discretion. asking may not help becos they may or may not speak your languages, and in the mentality of these people, it is always safer for them to say no, even if it is actually allowed.

for enclosed sheltered places, again security locations, and some places where flash may affect the antiques or preserved materials, e.g museums. even if you do not use flash, they can never ensure that is done, so museums usually flatly ban you from bringing in, making you leave your expensive stuff with them at your own insurance cover - which means if they lose or damage your stuff, your own problems.

for sensitive events, ask. e.g. funerals, ceremonies, cremation etc.
    gd breakdown. hehe..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast