Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Z-bar LED lights

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Z-bar LED lights

    Hi guys,

    Anyone owns one of this?

    Selling at ishop orchard cineleisure. Intending to use as study lamp and indoor subject shoots. Worth the buy?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    i saw at mustafa also.. seriously speaking it's over priced for that row of LEDs that don't output much power. I find it better for 'mood lighting' than as a study lamp.

    Indoor subject shots, probably only as the fill-in in those shadows and definitely not the main light. It just isn't bright enough.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    Thanks for the comment yanyewkay!

    Any other experiences anyone?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    Not worth it.

    The Big Z Bar at iShop has got 2 bulbs out of the 66 bulbs malfunction.

    And it's supposed to to last for 30,000 hours.

    Ikea lamp, $12 + Energy saving bulbs $15 (3 in a pack).

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    agree... these stuffs are more like paying for the designer looks. Jus trying to see the difference is worth it
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    go for it if d look is to die for.

    but in terms of brightness a compact fluo lamp is brighter & more energy efficient.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    They don't seem to be selling them here but there are now LED light bulbs available with the standard connectors. Wonder when we will see them in shops.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    Ya... think LEDs are better for the eyes than fluo rite?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Guilin of Spore
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    IIRC,

    The Z-bar dun emits much heat as compared to our normal lamps. And it is REALLY bright.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    IIRC,

    The Z-bar dun emits much heat as compared to our normal lamps. And it is REALLY bright.
    Do you own one? YOu uknow of other places that sells this besides iShop?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    fluo tubes and the energy saving bulbs don't emit as much heat as incandescant bulbs too
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Guilin of Spore
    Posts
    381

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Do you own one? YOu uknow of other places that sells this besides iShop?
    I played with one @ iShop.....

    The only bad thing is that it was new, so replacements of spoilt LED might be some problem. The last time i heard is to change the WHOLE part of the LEDs. But who knows? Maybe now can just change LED by LED.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    I played with one @ iShop.....

    The only bad thing is that it was new, so replacements of spoilt LED might be some problem. The last time i heard is to change the WHOLE part of the LEDs. But who knows? Maybe now can just change LED by LED.
    They have 2 models right? Which one better?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    I would check the following before buying:

    1. Does it flicker at 50 Hz? Even though it is LED but if it is AC powered there is a chance that the driving circuit does not generate a stable current to drive the LEDs.

    2. How's the colour spectrum? Is it full or heavily tinted?

    I am using daylight balanced compact fluorescent lights now and it is really nice.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    Z-Bar vs 3M polarized table lamp?

    i wonder if there's a comparison test for this 2 products. lifespan both r v gd. compact fluo bulbs can change, tt LED module oso can (but will cost more).


    LEDs (Z-Bar) vs compact Fluo?

    which is more enrgy efficient? which has betta color temp? compact Fluo got 2700K, 3500K-4000K & 6000K color temp range. d Z-Bar is in 6000K(+/- abit) range. LEDs used in tt lamp is of a shorter wavelength compared to compact fluo, so confuse glare w/ brightness w/ intensity of a light source.

    any way Z-Bar got several designs. if really keen, get d 1s w/ 2 joints. IMO, d single arm design may b abit glaring since d bulbs cant raise high above reading material.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    Z-Bar vs 3M polarized table lamp?

    i wonder if there's a comparison test for this 2 products. lifespan both r v gd. compact fluo bulbs can change, tt LED module oso can (but will cost more).


    LEDs (Z-Bar) vs compact Fluo?

    which is more enrgy efficient? which has betta color temp? compact Fluo got 2700K, 3500K-4000K & 6000K color temp range. d Z-Bar is in 6000K(+/- abit) range. LEDs used in tt lamp is of a shorter wavelength compared to compact fluo, so confuse glare w/ brightness w/ intensity of a light source.

    any way Z-Bar got several designs. if really keen, get d 1s w/ 2 joints. IMO, d single arm design may b abit glaring since d bulbs cant raise high above reading material.
    Any pictures to show? where can get besides ishop?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    told you liao.. mustafa had it. I just seen it like 2 weeks ago. on the 3 or 4th floor where they sell light bulbs
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    like how much?
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Z-bar LED lights

    seen them at Home-Fix. not sure if all branch carry this item.

    price $120-$170(abt there).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •