Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76

Thread: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    ShHhhhhhh ....



    Seriously - go check out the pioneer / yamaha - HTiBs ... good enough. The more you know the more
    next you'll start to look at the wires and say... "so thin.. very lossy.. must upgrade cables" then the water hoses will come in..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  2. #42
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Check this out...it will solve your problem....some went below $2k at KEC if I remember correctly.... http://www.klipsch.com/products/list...f-systems.aspx

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Check this out...it will solve your problem....some went below $2k at KEC if I remember correctly.... http://www.klipsch.com/products/list...f-systems.aspx
    ... The quintet 3 series - probably. Cinema 6 - unlikely.

    Their subs already entry level cost at least 800-900 odd.

    Unless TS goes for a quintet 3 series, second hand sub, second hand AV amp and probably an entry level DVD player - since only utilising component video. That aside, still $$$ has to be poured on cables .. which, then yanyewkay's post will start to take effect

    KEC doesn't sell Klipsch. Tat Chuan does. Unless the person went to mix and match.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    I think I went there, but say S$1500 budget is too low for a proper set up, end up diverted to another shop

    The other shop recommend me:
    Onkyo
    Speakers: SKF 3600 (front), SKS 3600 (centre + surround)
    Sub woofer: Rogers ASB-100
    Marantz SR3001
    Marantz DV-4600
    All for S$1380, but I don't know worth it or not
    The setup should be good enough for normal user. Does the quote include the cables ?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    The setup should be good enough for normal user. Does the quote include the cables ?
    Downside - you wouldn't get the fluid transition from speaker to speaker on certain panning surround scenes from your movie since all speakers are not of the same manufacturer and same specs.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Downside - you wouldn't get the fluid transition from speaker to speaker on certain panning surround scenes from your movie since all speakers are not of the same manufacturer and same specs.
    It guess tt kind of effect also depend on your source esp. from code 1 DVD. Does normal channels from media corp have such effect ?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    The setup should be good enough for normal user. Does the quote include the cables ?
    that doesn't include cable, so need to add on $100+? Also need to add the set up fees (socket etc to hang the back speakers on the wall?)
    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Downside - you wouldn't get the fluid transition from speaker to speaker on certain panning surround scenes from your movie since all speakers are not of the same manufacturer and same specs.
    The speakers are actually from same Onkyo set, but the Woofer is not.

    Also the Marantz Amp output is 70W/speaker, just wonder can it drive up the speakers? Which is 100w/speaker. I think the woofer is even more than that. Sorry, asking noob question as I am a noob in this

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    It guess tt kind of effect also depend on your source esp. from code 1 DVD. Does normal channels from media corp have such effect ?
    Only applies to 5.1/6.1/7.1 content - you'll notice during the panning sequence... that's why its important to have timbre matching - same woofers/tweeters/cabinets used throughout all 5 channels.

    For mediacorp programming, most likely you'll be running the Dolby Pro Logic/II, DTS Neo, CS II surround modes to have a "pseudo" effect. You won't get problems when running in this mode, but somehow the speaker that has its timbre mismatched will definitely sound out of place.

    Another thing is how well the amp does this is pretty depedant on the DSP chip. Yamaha seems to be the best at this. Denon still sounds abit muffled (again, its a personal POV - others' listening tastes might differ)
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 28th March 2007 at 10:14 AM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    that doesn't include cable, so need to add on $100+? Also need to add the set up fees (socket etc to hang the back speakers on the wall?)

    The speakers are actually from same Onkyo set, but the Woofer is not.

    Also the Marantz Amp output is 70W/speaker, just wonder can it drive up the speakers? Which is 100w/speaker. I think the woofer is even more than that. Sorry, asking noob question as I am a noob in this
    Depending how "neat a freak" you are for your home. I use surround stands for my rear surrounds. Cabling all run through trunking across the corners of my living room. All DIY. Cabling is the worst in any HT setup. Especially for surrounds I'm using industrial grade belden cablings for my longer runs.

    Same onkyo set? Same drivers? Same tweeters? .. how come i see the fronts stated as rogers? 70w/speaker is pretty "ok" but if you want to go loud, you'll need more juice.

    Able to drive the speakers? That'll depend on the ohm load on the speaker and the sensitivity of the speaker. eg. 4ohm being the harder to drive/ 8ohm being easier to drive. As for sensitivity, 86-**** seems to be the norm. Anything higher will definitely be better.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Only applies to 5.1/6.1/7.1 content - you'll notice during the panning sequence... that's why its important to have timbre matching - same woofers/tweeters/cabinets used throughout all 5 channels.

    For mediacorp programming, most likely you'll be running the Dolby Pro Logic/II, DTS Neo, CS II surround modes to have a "pseudo" effect. You won't get problems when running in this mode, but somehow the speaker that has its timbre mismatched will definitely sound out of place.

    Another thing is how well the amp does this is pretty depedant on the DSP chip. Yamaha seems to be the best at this. Denon still sounds abit muffled (again, its a personal POV - others' listening tastes might differ)
    I see.

    if zcf do not watch 5.1/6.1/7.1 content, I think normal setup is good enough. Want better effect can watch at the cinema
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Depending how "neat a freak" you are for your home. I use surround stands for my rear surrounds. Cabling all run through trunking across the corners of my living room. All DIY. Cabling is the worst in any HT setup. Especially for surrounds I'm using industrial grade belden cablings for my longer runs.

    Same onkyo set? Same drivers? Same tweeters? .. how come i see the fronts stated as rogers? 70w/speaker is pretty "ok" but if you want to go loud, you'll need more juice.

    Able to drive the speakers? That'll depend on the ohm load on the speaker and the sensitivity of the speaker. eg. 4ohm being the harder to drive/ 8ohm being easier to drive. As for sensitivity, 86-**** seems to be the norm. Anything higher will definitely be better.
    I think my text arrangement is a bit confusing, it's only the sub woofer is Rogers, the rest of the speakers are Onkyo.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    I see.

    if zcf do not watch 5.1/6.1/7.1 content, I think normal setup is good enough. Want better effect can watch at the cinema
    So can consider this set up
    Or other selection of sub-woofer, amp or player to recommend?

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    So can consider this set up
    Or other selection of sub-woofer, amp or player to recommend?
    Likely possible. This setup is done up by the shop nearest to the showroom for Dynaudio & Tat Chuan right? ...

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    I think my text arrangement is a bit confusing, it's only the sub woofer is Rogers, the rest of the speakers are Onkyo.
    Read wrongly my bad

    Think the only limiting factor would be your budget. Should you take a listen at the klipsch promedia rather than the onkyo and pair them up with either a marantz or yamaha ... you'll know what you'll be missing.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Bro zcf,
    as an ex audiophile...to avoid excessive spending
    i would advise u go to carrefour and choose the cheapest ht system...if u dun mind preferably 2nd hand also can considered from echoloft bns or xtremeplace
    The money and time spend on 'latest'system which going to be superseded by newer,improved technology in an six months time is just isn't worth it....
    water hose size cable aside......there also the danger of hooked to the so call dedicated mainline/power line/rewiring of yr whole house with so-called audiophile grade wiring..
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    Bro zcf,
    as an ex audiophile...to avoid excessive spending
    i would advise u go to carrefour and choose the cheapest ht system...if u dun mind preferably 2nd hand also can considered from echoloft bns or xtremeplace
    The money and time spend on 'latest'system which going to be superseded by newer,improved technology in an six months time is just isn't worth it....
    water hose size cable aside......there also the danger of hooked to the so call dedicated mainline/power line/rewiring of yr whole house with so-called audiophile grade wiring..
    Just spotted echoloft has a Paradigm PDR-8 for sale $200 ... not bad.

    Anyway HT is a very costly path, so might as well get a decent system and don't touch it after that (which i'm doing so at the moment).

    As for going 2nd hand, 1 has to becareful since capacitors, eletronic components etc doesn't last past 5 years...

    Carrefour is a place i'll go for groceries, not HT. Its like asking people to buy lenses from Courts and pay full price rather than going to various camera shops to get your lenses.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Just spotted echoloft has a Paradigm PDR-8 for sale $200 ... not bad.

    Anyway HT is a very costly path, so might as well get a decent system and don't touch it after that (which i'm doing so at the moment).

    As for going 2nd hand, 1 has to becareful since capacitors, eletronic components etc doesn't last past 5 years...

    Carrefour is a place i'll go for groceries, not HT. Its like asking people to buy lenses from Courts and pay full price rather than going to various camera shops to get your lenses.
    ai yo just suggesting he get those $199 or $299 ht system(made in china)brand.
    if not carrefour...go giant supermart
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    ai yo just suggesting he get those $199 or $299 ht system(made in china)brand.
    if not carrefour...go giant supermart
    I guarrantee you it will not last past 1 year.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    I guarrantee you it will not last past 1 year.
    neither the technology for the new one
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Siglap
    Posts
    1,652

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    neither the technology for the new one
    Now is seriously not the right time to buy.

    With all the new HD, sound formats coming out and HDMI revisions... I seriously will adopt a sit and wait approach.

  20. #60
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Home Theatre Set up for a HDB living room

    To be VERY TRUTHFULLY HONEST here... it's no point investing in a good sound system when you're gonna be using it in the living room. Too much sound loss and the design won't be easy.

    Get a room just for entertainment and soundproof it, then you're set.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •