Thread: HELP!!!! Lens got fungus and dust...

Default HELP!!!! Lens got fungus and dust...

Dearest CS members any idea how to remove the funbgus and lens without having to service it?
    Like D.I.Y? what are the tools needed?
    pls reply asap thx!

Default Re: HELP!!!! Lens got fungus and dust...

throw into a super dry box.

but the coating is gone for sure. no chance of recovery.

Hmm is it possible to open up the lens and clean it? like using cloth and all?

no.. you need special tools to open it. look at the funny slots and holes/depressions, those are for the tools to open it up.

Not to mention that after opening it, you might screw up the calibaration that may leave your lens unable to focus to infinity.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

so its impossible to do it except sending it for servicing? but how to tell if the lens is calibrated to infinity?

sorry to all.. but if i want to go ahead and open up the lens and repair it myself, what are the tools i need. thx for the reply

i'm just citing the focus to infinity as 1 issue, many other things can happen. other examples include assemblying the lens incorrectly causing severe image degradation. Some lenses look similiar front and back, but needs to be position correctly.

if the fungus doesn't affect the image output then don't bother cleaning it.

quote from a wise master:
    if you've got nothing major wrong, why go for operation to check the inside?

anyway, if you really interested, tools are available for purchase here:
    http://shashinki.com/shop/camera-too...de1940c1ab3da7

do document your process ok? then post up for us to see.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

btw, how are you going to "repair" your lens when the lens isn't even spoilt?

fungus, throw into super dry box.
    dust, leave it alone. it wun degrade the quality much(or none at all).

if you open up to clean using cloth and water, it will only introduce more dust.

Do search internet to see have anyone/instruction on opening up a similar lens before, that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    btw, how are you going to "repair" your lens when the lens isn't even spoilt?

fungus, throw into super dry box.
    dust, leave it alone. it wun degrade the quality much(or none at all).

if you open up to clean using cloth and water, it will only introduce more dust.
    Are you sure dry box can clear up fungus, it merely reduce the growth only. If the lens is blurred by the fungus already, even the fungus die later, it will still cause th blurness on the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Do search internet to see have anyone/instruction on opening up a similar lens before, that may help.

Are you sure dry box can clear up fungus, it merely reduce the growth only. If the lens is blurred by the fungus already, even the fungus die later, it will still cause th blurness on the lens.
    problem is i dunno the extent of fungus growth in TS's lens. when i got a few pretty old lenses that have some fungus, i always put it in a dry warm place like the radiator of the fridge. it solves the problem everytime i do it. i haven't tried on serious fungus growth b4 cos i haven't expereinced that. yet.

but i still find it more feasible for the TS to try a passive approach first. if it doesn't work, then pry open the lens. you cannot do the other way round if something goes wrong with the opening procedure.
    Last edited by satay16; 26th March 2007 at 05:43 PM.

hey thx alot i will do my research first. hmm will post the process if i really open the lens up and clean it thx alot

not sure why you want to open up the lens and clean it yourself, the tools, efforts and time may cost more then the cost of clean it by service center, and you my risk yourself of unable to make the lens work properly.

if the lens is a cheapo lens, just forget it and buy a new lens.

anyway, good luck if you still want to try it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio