Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

  1. #1

    Default Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Sorry, very new to buy network cables/tools

    how much do these items cost ?
    a. 1x Cat 5 Cable drum.
    - What is the standard length ?
    - What is the recommended quality ?
    - How much does it cost ?

    b. 1x RJ45 Crimp Tool
    - How much does it cost ?

    c. 50x or 100x RJ45 Connector
    - How much does it cost ?

    Any recommended shop ? Thanks

    BTW, the cables are for 100M bandwidth.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Sorry, very new to buy network cables/tools

    how much do these items cost ?
    a. 1x Cat 5 Cable drum.
    - What is the standard length ?
    - What is the recommended quality ?
    - How much does it cost ?

    b. 1x RJ45 Crimp Tool
    - How much does it cost ?

    c. 50x or 100x RJ45 Connector
    - How much does it cost ?

    Any recommended shop ? Thanks

    BTW, the cables are for 100M bandwidth.
    You can try SLS level 6. There is a shop (ISTM, I think) that sell what you are looking for.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    You can try SLS level 6. There is a shop (ISTM, I think) that sell what you are looking for.
    Thanks. Any idea how much do these items cost ? Need an rough range so that will not get CHOPPED CARROT HEAD
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  4. #4
    Member Adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Small island....
    Posts
    1,673

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Usually comes in a box of:

    1000feet
    costs: between $150 - $200 (depending on brand)

    I believe the current standard is already CAT 5e.

    RJ45 plugs costs about 50cts to 80cts (depending on brand)

    Buy a good RJ45 crimp tool as a good one will last for years. costs about $38 - $60.


    For cables and RJ45 plugs I recommend "AMP". But of course, the choice is yours.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Thanks. Any idea how much do these items cost ? Need an rough range so that will not get CHOPPED CARROT HEAD
    Cannot remember .... too long never buy them ....
    So far they are reasonable in their pricing ....
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  6. #6

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    how much do these items cost ?
    a. 1x Cat 5 Cable drum.
    - What is the standard length ?
    - What is the recommended quality ?
    - How much does it cost ?
    Depends on what applications you are running, 10/100? Gigabit ? Voip ?
    Standard length usually 305m (1000ft) in a box
    For long term usage, use CAT6. Temp office etc use CAT5e
    Price varies, some "Made in China" brands are dirt cheap but remember, what you pay for is what you get.




    b. 1x RJ45 Crimp Tool
    - How much does it cost ?
    Varies with quality. PM me for details.

    c. 50x or 100x RJ45 Connector
    - How much does it cost ?
    I believe you are trying to make your own patchcords ? That's fine for CAT5e provided you test each cord after crimping. But see if you really should be using stranded cables for the patchcords instead of the usual solid core cables that SLT sells.

    Any recommended shop ? Thanks

  7. #7

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Thanks Adiemus, Ola and fireblade05 for the information.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    You might wanna try LHS at Sim Lim Tower Level 2. Ask for Robert.

  9. #9
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus View Post
    Usually comes in a box of:

    1000feet
    costs: between $150 - $200 (depending on brand)

    I believe the current standard is already CAT 5e.

    RJ45 plugs costs about 50cts to 80cts (depending on brand)

    Buy a good RJ45 crimp tool as a good one will last for years. costs about $38 - $60.


    For cables and RJ45 plugs I recommend "AMP". But of course, the choice is yours.


    Dunno leh

    My contractor quote me $95 a drum. 300 metres. Dunno what brannd.

    Plugs 20cents each.

    U want i can PM the contractor no. to u

    Cramping tools i bought mine at $40 leh from 5 gold shop.
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  10. #10

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Thanks frenchbean and Static.

    I have gotten the similar quotation from my vendor.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post


    Dunno leh

    My contractor quote me $95 a drum. 300 metres. Dunno what brannd.

    Plugs 20cents each.

    U want i can PM the contractor no. to u

    Cramping tools i bought mine at $40 leh from 5 gold shop.
    gold crimper? lao eh... 40 bucks is a steal man...

    think tis is cat5e, those draka or something brand ones... single strand 8 core type.

    Plugs should be non AMP kind...

    still need to buy those fancy protective rubber for the plugs... comes in matching color as well.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  12. #12
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    My fave shop is located on the 6th floor, behind the alleys, problem is I cannot remember the name of the shop, they specialise in cables etc. I always get from them.

  13. #13
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    gold crimper? lao eh... 40 bucks is a steal man...

    .
    I like gold mah. I even craved my name on it.

    U know hor, got one gold shop in outram even got sell Canon & Nikon stuff.
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Rough pricing from 3 months back when I did up the network for 100+ comps is as follows:

    AMP (Tyco Electronics) Cat 5E cable 1 reel 1000 ft - ~$130 - $140
    Can't remember the pricing for Cat 6 but should be about $190 per reel

    AMP RJ-45 UTP heads (100 pack) - $35 (UHF Technology or ask Robert to match the price)

    AMP rachet crimper - $190 (LHS)
    Some china made rachet crimper (works as well as the AMP) - $70+ (UHF Technology)

    AMP cat 6 SL UTP sockets - $6

    AMP base + 2-gang faceplate for wall sockets - ~$1

    AMP 24 port Cat 6 patch panels - $270 ($230 is possible if ex-stock from before price rise but very unlikely)

    Some of the prices are pretty low because I got them through my system-integrator. He earned enough from the $120k+ contract so YMMV.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    i personally think getting cat 6 cables is better investment, but cat5e is still acceptable lah. anyway if you are running PoE, make sure get those with 4 pairs
    Last edited by mervlam; 27th March 2007 at 03:31 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Thanks guys for the information

    Just curious, why the price range for RJ45 Crimp Tool is so much difference ? Cheap one can cost $40 and expensive one for $190. I have heard there is one cost > $400.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Thanks guys for the information

    Just curious, why the price range for RJ45 Crimp Tool is so much difference ? Cheap one can cost $40 and expensive one for $190. I have heard there is one cost > $400.
    depending on the country & company manufactured... original crimpers normally cost a hell lot more... those made in taiwan and china are mostly a fraction of the price...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Thanks guys for the information

    Just curious, why the price range for RJ45 Crimp Tool is so much difference ? Cheap one can cost $40 and expensive one for $190. I have heard there is one cost > $400.
    Part of the reason why the price is very high is to discourage end users from making their own patchcords. Prior CAT6, you could consistently crimp your own patchcords and get away with it. But CAT6 has more stringent requirements and the only way to consistently make a good patchcord is to do it in the factory.

    Sometimes, it might be better off asking a SI to do the cords for you. PM me your requirements, I think I have some CAT5e UTP patchcords that I can sell off cheaply.

  19. #19
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    My fave shop is located on the 6th floor, behind the alleys, problem is I cannot remember the name of the shop, they specialise in cables etc. I always get from them.
    Just remembered, the shop name is Meico Lotus.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Need Help on Getting Network Cables / Tools

    I just got a quote of this RJ45 Crimp Tool Modern KS-315 for $55 and a box of Tyco RJ45 Connector for $50 (100 pcs) . Is it overprice ?
    Last edited by megaweb; 27th March 2007 at 11:38 AM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •