Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: How does traffic police snap speeders?

Default Re: How does traffic police snap speeders?

True, my honda CRV speedometer read out is 5-7 kmh slower than my Garmin read out. This is true for a toyota picnic too.
    L plate photographer (= D2x, nikon 24-120VR, bigma 50-500, 50 1.8, SB600

what on earth is "zheng hu"?
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    what on earth is "zheng hu"?
    "garment" in hockkian, if you don't know hockkian, than in mandarin is "zhang fu"
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

what on earth is "hockkian"?

Quote Originally Posted by Qingkai View Post
    True, my honda CRV speedometer read out is 5-7 kmh slower than my Garmin read out. This is true for a toyota picnic too.
    The car speedometer needs to be calibrated with the tire size. if you have an oversized tire, your speedometer reading will become slower and you will be speeding without knowing.

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

This is a very common problem and many people have no clue why they were caught speeding with really huge tires.

Best advise is not to speed.

As for speed detecting devices, there are quite a few types. the hand held or car mounted units are speed radars that deflects a signal off a metal part of your car and it will accurately calculate the speed within a couple seconds. Technologies have improved and even by stealth-ing the car with special paint, it can still get detected.

There are gadgets that detect speed radars, but these are illegal to be used in spore. caught in possession, the fine is $2000 and above. I have used them before overseas and are quite accurate. But policemen would usually use them after a hill or bend - which is a technique to counter the use of such radar detecting devices.
    Last edited by contaxable; 26th January 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Where is the speed trap camera exact position inside the KPE?

How do you tell the difference between a normal CCTV camera and one that is a speed trap camera inside the KPE? Best is got pictures cause all look the same to me

Quote Originally Posted by gunawan View Post
    Now that u mentioned. KPE's 70kph is another trick the zheng hu use. let me uncover the plot. By enforcing a limit of 70kph, traffic will soon amount to incessant traffic jams (bcos 70kph wat), and when it jams, zheng hu got excuse to build ERP in KPE and charge citizens more money for using it. After the ERP gantries are up and charges go up, then they will say ok, traffic getting better, and they will review the speed limit to 90kph and earn more money becos more traffic can pass the ERP at any given minute.... Clever.

And those PR talk about any speed higher than 70kph would cause accidents are bollocks. Look at Germany's autobahns- no speed limit, but fewer accidents than Spore's crappy 50kph roads.... Its all about the $$$ (ERP)...
    how about this other plot.

Singaporean drivers are hopeless when it comes to driving and road courtesy. by enforcing a blanket rule of 70km/h in an enclosed area, there is not just a bid to raise a bit of revenue when it comes to you breaking the law, but to ensure that the majority of people with a working brain in between their ears would observe the 70km/h limit, drive at that limit, and HOPEFULLY reduce the amount of accidents that occur, thereby diverting more preciously needed resources within the healthcare sector away from the A&E and into other treatment areas.

makes sense?

your example of the autobahn is only valid if you control the number of people who live in Germany, the number of people who use the autobahn, and the amount of driving experience the average German has. oh, and not to mention, the average amount of courtesy and conscientiousness (if these two variables can be measured) in the average German driver, as opposed to the average do-not-give-way-die-die-must-be-in-front-of-car-signalling-to-get-out-of-lane drivers.

and PS. Northern Territories in Australia used to have their country freeways on the no speed limit policy. they introduced speed limits after discovering that irresponsible and asinine morons were abusing it and causing the bulk of the accidents by driving at break neck speed whilst intoxicated, etc.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 27th January 2009 at 10:33 PM.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    Where is the speed trap camera exact position inside the KPE?

How do you tell the difference between a normal CCTV camera and one that is a speed trap camera inside the KPE? Best is got pictures cause all look the same to me
    I thought I read/heard somewhere that the KPE uses point to point speed cameras. meaning your time of entry into the tunnel is recorded, and your time taken to exit the tunnel is recorded. and if your time is faster than the average time taken to travel from point A to point B, they can conclude that you are speeding and from there do calculations to find out how much you were speeding by.

something along those lines.
    chicken fight!

hmmmm... make me panic liao.. see next week got receive summon ornot..

i sped 140 at pie to rush home for emergency.. hias......

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    hmmmm... make me panic liao.. see next week got receive summon ornot..

i sped 140 at pie to rush home for emergency.. hias......
    PIE so far still ok depending on which stretch and wat time..
    its those on the overhead bridge tats worrying..u dun noe when n where they will be..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

hope dun have lah. but dun have lah.

sorry my one speeding is not PIE. its CTE. bridge after exit at Bishan, before AMK ave 5 exit.

now hope didnt kenna.. hias....

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    hope dun have lah. but dun have lah.

sorry my one speeding is not PIE. its CTE. bridge after exit at Bishan, before AMK ave 5 exit.

now hope didnt kenna.. hias....
    there is one speed camera at CTE located at Potong Pasir, if you are speeding at the section, good luck!

btw, install a GPS unit, it will warn you all the red light cameras and an speed cameras.

If a certain car is causing one to get a few tickets a year, go change to a different car. Most SUV would make one drive slowly and at the same time enjoy the scenery. Trust me, a different car usually brings out a different driver.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    If a certain car is causing one to get a few tickets a year, go change to a different car. Most SUV would make one drive slowly and at the same time enjoy the scenery. Trust me, a different car usually brings out a different driver.
    changing one's driving habits is much cheaper (maybe even free!) than changing a car.

as Jeremy Clakrson once put it (when comparing fuel economy between a BMW M3 and a Toyota Prius), it is not the car that you drive, but the way that you drive it.
    chicken fight!

If you break the rule you pay for the price. Why blame Zheng Fu, blame yourself.

Cantonese saying... when you enter a friend's home, call out the owner and when you are in a temple, you pray!

I committed traffic offences and when I am caught, I blame myself.

You need rules and regulations in any country otherwise you will in a state of 'Bo Zheng Hu'

Quote Originally Posted by gunawan View Post
    Now that u mentioned. KPE's 70kph is another trick the zheng hu use. let me uncover the plot. By enforcing a limit of 70kph, traffic will soon amount to incessant traffic jams (bcos 70kph wat), and when it jams, zheng hu got excuse to build ERP in KPE and charge citizens more money for using it. After the ERP gantries are up and charges go up, then they will say ok, traffic getting better, and they will review the speed limit to 90kph and earn more money becos more traffic can pass the ERP at any given minute.... Clever.

And those PR talk about any speed higher than 70kph would cause accidents are bollocks. Look at Germany's autobahns- no speed limit, but fewer accidents than Spore's crappy 50kph roads.... Its all about the $$$ (ERP)...
    What a joke!

U think they have nothing better to do but to setup such an idea to earn $$$$$????

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    Ok, this is probably the best place to ask, since it's photography related..

just curious, those speedcams along expressways, they dont emit flashes when they shoot at night, how the heck can they snap speeding vehicles?

red light cameras on the other hand flashes pretty hard both day and night thou...
    last time
    - police A saw a speeding car, radio police B waiting in front telling him the rego number.
    Police B stops the speeding car and hands out summon

now I believe
    - radar, hence some countries ban the use of radar detector. Doppler shift should be sufficient to measure the speed of the vehicle. Don't ask me how they process the reflected signals from multiple cars but I'm sure Doppler effect is good for moving objects just need to extend the theory.

Errr, in the KPE tunnel, there's no way of getting GPS signals. All blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by kongping View Post
    Most vehicle's speedometer are a tad optimistic, the indicated speed is often -5 to -10km/h from the true speed.

So when you are humming along at 70km/h... you're probably only doing 60-ish km/h. The other cars can cruise along at 80km/h as indicated on their speedometers... this, coupled with a little 'leeway' programmed on to the speed cameras, means no one gets snapped.

Just slap on a GPS unit and you will have a rough indication of how much your car's speedometer 'overreads'. While holidaying in Australia I set a Renault Megane's cruise control at 120km/h. The in-car GPS unit speed readout is 115km/h. I was stopped by highway patrol somewhere in Victoria and their radar gun readout is... 115km/h...

distance of KPE tunnel / time taken to travel
    eat. drink. shoot

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast