Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How does traffic police snap speeders?

Default Re: How does traffic police snap speeders?

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Not heavy enough. The lines in the ground work by pressure altering the electrical properties of a cable. When enough weight is on it, i.e a car, bus, or truck, it will alter the electrical properties enough that the sensor picks up the change. Lighter objects like people, dogs, cats, bicycles, they won't push down with enough force.
    In that case what about motorbike? A small-size guy in a small 125cc motorbike heavy enough to trigger the sensor? A big fat man riding a bicycle will trigger the sensor as well?

I think both traffic lights and cameras are triggered not by weight, but by metallic objects disrupting a metal detector buried underneath the road.

For this reason, a bicycle will not trigger the camera. Also, motorcycles may fail to trigger traffic lights at some t-junctions.

Quote Originally Posted by kongping View Post
    I think both traffic lights and cameras are triggered not by weight, but by metallic objects disrupting a metal detector buried underneath the road.

For this reason, a bicycle will not trigger the camera. Also, motorcycles may fail to trigger traffic lights at some t-junctions.
    Yes, as long as you passes the four square on the floor...may traffic junction got 4 sqaure to detect a present of a vehicle.
    Some tips... sometime you can ask the traffic light to become green faster just by putting your 4 wheels on the 4 square box....just give it a try.

no need flash de... cam can auto brighten the image up right?

Quote Originally Posted by kongping View Post

Eh? Where'd you hear that? Pressure sensitive pads would be a much cheaper option than metal detectors IMO..

FYI as much as cameras are concern anyone trying to beat the cameras should check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-qv4gYAE8

you will need a TVR s6 tracelling at 170MPH to beat them ... in essence... don't try...lol must be some bloody fast camera with no press lag time probably wide angle for a better view high iso with low fllash since strong flash tends to blind drivers and ... one bloody expensive piece of equipment... must be digital or u will find TP chaning films everyday considering the numbers of ah bengs with evos and wrx on the road. lol

reckon its a DSLR ?? consider grabbing a new dslr along TPE?

Eh? Where'd you hear that? Pressure sensitive pads would be a much cheaper option than metal detectors IMO..
    I reckon speed cameras use radars? cheaper ? coz i do realise that on highway they literally turn the camera direction once in a while ( to catch west bound or east bound traffic) so would be more pratical if its a radar mounted inside won't it .... haha

Yes, it is using a coil which detects metal by induction, which is why you see slots cut on the road. I have seen the system when I was on industrial attachment. Definitely not pressure sensitive pads because they will wear out quickly.

yes, is by detecting metal object, they are laying wires underneath the road.

for speed camera, means you have to trigger two sensors in a distance within a certain timing.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    yes, is by detecting metal object, they are laying wires underneath the road.

for speed camera, means you have to trigger two sensors in a distance within a certain timing.
    I suspect speed cameras are using radar or lidar. Embeded sensors for speed detection is quite difficult to implement and should be more expensive. In heavy traffic, I would expect metal sensor to give a lot of false triggers.

After this thread, I actually tried to look out for the embedded sensors, so far for the ones at Yishun, PIE, CTE and ECP...I did not see any cut lines for the sensors.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    I suspect speed cameras are using radar or lidar. Embeded sensors for speed detection is quite difficult to implement and should be more expensive. In heavy traffic, I would expect metal sensor to give a lot of false triggers.

After this thread, I actually tried to look out for the embedded sensors, so far for the ones at Yishun, PIE, CTE and ECP...I did not see any cut lines for the sensors.

BC
    you can't speed if the traffic is heavy,
    the lines will be disappear after road resurfacing.

someone told me these, cos they are the contractors for embedding the wires at traffic junction, they were fooling around with a metal trolley to trigger the wire sensors, so the can took a group photo at the middle of the junction, and then they got a warning latter from ROV (that was many years ago.)

someone told me these, cos they are the contractors for embedding the wires at traffic junction, they were fooling around with a metal trolley to trigger the wire sensors, so the can took a group photo at the middle of the junction, and then they got a warning latter from ROV (that was many years ago.)
    ... it must be quite a task for push the trolley >90km/h to trigger the camera.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    ... it must be quite a task for push the trolley >90km/h to trigger the camera.

BC
    speed limit camera & traffic junction camera work differently.

one is triggered when the vehicles drove past two wire sensors within certain timing.

another one is triggered when the vehicles drove past two wire sensors during the period of the red lights is on for that direction of traffic.

I'm referring to the camera at the traffic junction, no the speed limit camera.

from the day you are caught, how many days to receive the 'letter' from traffic police?

Its flash + camera. I've donated thousands to the Government and should be awarded some kinda plaque for it. The damn system is so good and sensitive that I even got booked riding my motorbike and the damn speed camera flashed, even though I was riding along the white line (ie. between the 2 lanes), tmd... In Singapore, u cannot escape one la, have to keep paying. Only Mas Selamat knows the secret...

haha.. since this thread is digged up..

just wondering.. how about inside the KPE? the speed cameras are not like those along the CTE/PIE etc? These are something like CCTV is it? but theres such CCTV cameras everywhere along the KPE!

Its really a pain to drive constantly below 70kph.. and everytime i drive in KPE.. I would be snailing along under 70 while I see others zoom past me.. really wonder how they dare to do it without getting caught..

Quote Originally Posted by rOnGrEn View Post
    haha.. since this thread is digged up..

just wondering.. how about inside the KPE? the speed cameras are not like those along the CTE/PIE etc? These are something like CCTV is it? but theres such CCTV cameras everywhere along the KPE!

Its really a pain to drive constantly below 70kph.. and everytime i drive in KPE.. I would be snailing along under 70 while I see others zoom past me.. really wonder how they dare to do it without getting caught..
    Now that u mentioned. KPE's 70kph is another trick the zheng hu use. let me uncover the plot. By enforcing a limit of 70kph, traffic will soon amount to incessant traffic jams (bcos 70kph wat), and when it jams, zheng hu got excuse to build ERP in KPE and charge citizens more money for using it. After the ERP gantries are up and charges go up, then they will say ok, traffic getting better, and they will review the speed limit to 90kph and earn more money becos more traffic can pass the ERP at any given minute.... Clever.

And those PR talk about any speed higher than 70kph would cause accidents are bollocks. Look at Germany's autobahns- no speed limit, but fewer accidents than Spore's crappy 50kph roads.... Its all about the $$$ (ERP)...

lol nice one... driving at 70/80kmh is a torture... somehow quite alot of people are still speeding along KPE at way above 70. Do they get caught or issit juz another trick to make the all-conforming singaporeans snail along at 70.

Anyone tried speeding and tailgating such that if the camera snaps the front car will get the ticket and u manage to escape without a ticket ?
    L plate photographer (= D2x, nikon 24-120VR, bigma 50-500, 50 1.8, SB600

Quote Originally Posted by gunawan View Post
    Now that u mentioned. KPE's 70kph is another trick the zheng hu use. let me uncover the plot. By enforcing a limit of 70kph, traffic will soon amount to incessant traffic jams (bcos 70kph wat), and when it jams, zheng hu got excuse to build ERP in KPE and charge citizens more money for using it. After the ERP gantries are up and charges go up, then they will say ok, traffic getting better, and they will review the speed limit to 90kph and earn more money becos more traffic can pass the ERP at any given minute.... Clever.

And those PR talk about any speed higher than 70kph would cause accidents are bollocks. Look at Germany's autobahns- no speed limit, but fewer accidents than Spore's crappy 50kph roads.... Its all about the $$$ (ERP)...
    Most vehicle's speedometer are a tad optimistic, the indicated speed is often -5 to -10km/h from the true speed.

So when you are humming along at 70km/h... you're probably only doing 60-ish km/h. The other cars can cruise along at 80km/h as indicated on their speedometers... this, coupled with a little 'leeway' programmed on to the speed cameras, means no one gets snapped.

Just slap on a GPS unit and you will have a rough indication of how much your car's speedometer 'overreads'. While holidaying in Australia I set a Renault Megane's cruise control at 120km/h. The in-car GPS unit speed readout is 115km/h. I was stopped by highway patrol somewhere in Victoria and their radar gun readout is... 115km/h...

you want to try you luck in KPE for speeding above 70km? I tell you the cameras are real and it function, if you speed, you will get letters from Traffic Police.

a few months ago I speeding inside KPE, about half way thru I sensed flash and I slow down. one week later, I received two letters from TP, two offends less than 5min apart.

anyway, the camera will take two shots at a specific time lag, so all they need to do is measure the distance traveled of your car between this two photos, it will tell at speed you are traveling.

how they detect speeding is laying two set of wires (sensor of magnetic filed) on the road at specific spacing, once a large mass of metal object passes both of them within a certain timing, it will trigger the camera.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast