Thread: 50mm f/1.8 double vision

Default 50mm f/1.8 double vision

Can someone tell me if this is normal ? It was about early morning and i jus took out the camera, put on the 50mm 1.8 and shoot my dinning room lights.

Was very surprised that I saw 2 reflection in green on the pictures ?

Can someone enlighten me why this happens ?

Default Re: 50mm f/1.8 double vision

Quote Originally Posted by StevO View Post
    Can someone tell me if this is normal ? It was about early morning and i jus took out the camera, put on the 50mm 1.8 and shoot my dinning room lights.

Was very surprised that I saw 2 reflection in green on the pictures ?

Can someone enlighten me why this happens ?

lens flare, you got any filters on?

All i have is the trusty Hoya UV lens protector filter. What lens filter should i get to counter this ?

Quote Originally Posted by StevO View Post
    All i have is the trusty Hoya UV lens protector filter. What lens filter should i get to counter this ?
    Its mostly likely a reflection off your filter.

There's no filter to counter this afaik. Best solution is to remove ur filter for such direct light shots.

Forgive me for being a little out of point, but your pics really look like a couple of those dodgy "UFO sighting" pictures. Strange effects - would be really creepy with some pp.

On a more serious note, the 50mm 1.8 has pretty recessed glass, which may actually cause the reflection from the filter (because of long distance from between the glass and the filter). You could buy a really good quality pro-filter, but that would cost you almost 2/3 the price of the lens. No point. Would be better just to shoot without a filter; especially since the recessed glass means last chance of dust and grime getting in. And, if I guess correct, most of the shooting with this lens would be indoors anyway, hence not too much problem.

Sure looks like UFO, given the greenish glow. Try shooting without the filter, should answer your query. Cheers.

I should stop lying now. We are actually preparing to zap you guys (Re : Independence day) when some idiots was pointing his 50mm lens at us and we were worried that it was some earthing laser to counter our attack , we stopped and fly off.

Until you give me your 18-200VR lens, I will take over your woman models !

You better stop sprewing crap and close this thread.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by posez View Post
    Forgive me for being a little out of point, but your pics really look like a couple of those dodgy "UFO sighting" pictures. Strange effects - would be really creepy with some pp.

On a more serious note, the 50mm 1.8 has pretty recessed glass, which may actually cause the reflection from the filter (because of long distance from between the glass and the filter). You could buy a really good quality pro-filter, but that would cost you almost 2/3 the price of the lens. No point. Would be better just to shoot without a filter; especially since the recessed glass means last chance of dust and grime getting in. And, if I guess correct, most of the shooting with this lens would be indoors anyway, hence not too much problem.
    I just brought a 50mm with the same Hoya UV filter. Do you meant this kind of lens does not need a filter? 'Cus of the 'long distance' between them.
    So shd i put away the filter for good?
    Think i try it tonight and c how?
    BTW, not sure y i can't see the pictures posted???

Quote Originally Posted by Leykid1634 View Post
    I just brought a 50mm with the same Hoya UV filter. Do you meant this kind of lens does not need a filter? 'Cus of the 'long distance' between them.
    So shd i put away the filter for good?
    Think i try it tonight and c how?
    BTW, not sure y i can't see the pictures posted???
    Yup... I always discourage using protective filters on this lens. Anyway, I have stop using protective filters for most of my lenses (dun have many to begin with... ) ... hate capturing those flares and the loss of contrast.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Yup... I always discourage using protective filters on this lens. Anyway, I have stop using protective filters for most of my lenses (dun have many to begin with... ) ... hate capturing those flares and the loss of contrast.

BC
    But expert says filter will reduced flare (i thought).
    Or only those high-end ones....
    I don't think i can affort.

But expert says filter will reduced flare (i thought).
    Or only those high-end ones....
    I don't think i can affort.
    Nope. Extra glass = extra chances of getting flare... even when using the best filters. (no matter how good the coating is... glass are always reflective... coating only reduces it.)

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Nope. Extra glass = extra chances of getting flare... even when using the best filters. (no matter how good the coating is... glass are always reflective... coating only reduces it.)

BC
    Oh ! thanks for the explanation.

BTW, I just taken some photos of my bulb wall lamp (with different angles), but I dont see any flare or reflections. Lucky me i think.

BTW, I just taken some photos of my bulb wall lamp (with different angles), but I dont see any flare or reflections. Lucky me i think.
    Try with and without filter on scene with strong light sources... you will see some difference.

BC

Eh, but really, no need filter for this lens lah

Sorry for OT. Posez, nice lens you have there.. 18-70mm 3.5-3.6
    Better then a constant f4 ehh. ;-p
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog