Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Flash Please

Default Re: No Flash Please

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Tell him, everytime you shoot, your flash only illuminates 1/20000 of a second, unless he's so pathetic to use very slow shutter, the likelyhood that in the interval his shutter is open (1/30s?) and your flash illuminates his image is very very slim! unless both of you release the shutter at the same instance. Still there's different shutter lag and reaction time.......
    dude, those using flashes dont just fire one and go away. they BURST alot, and the magnitude just got worst with just a few of them flashing.

the models dont take their sweet time to walk. they take 5 to 8 seconds to reach the end of the runway, pose for 2 seconds and that's it! out of these 10 seconds, if that single perfect shot you had was screwed by someone elses flash, how you feel?!

please, look at the crowd. if everyone doesn't use flash, it would already say something!

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Is DSLR allowed in the SFF ?
    no idea too.. the last one i went was in 2005 and I brought one in hanging balantly on my neck with no problems.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Prior to a professionally staged runway show, the lighting crew would do a test run with the photographers. The lights would have to be strong enough to give a minimum shutter speed so that the motion by the models would not blur the shot. The lighting has to be consistent for easy white balance setup. It has to be consistent throughout the runway too (hard to do so the experienced photogs usually pick the spots with the best light to press the trigger). The makeup crew and/or designer may also check with their photographers to make sure that the shots would turn out right. These are all done WITHOUT flash.

Of course, when the show starts and a ton of photographers are at the pit, its often hard to control who flashes and who does not. If you are considerate, you would consider turning off the flash. More often than not, the whole bunch of official photogs would shout, "NO FLASH!". Or they might just ask the lighting crew to up the lights so that its fast enough even for those with f5.6 lens......... "More LIGHTS!"

The 70-200 f2.8 is a fav for runways.... fast and does not distort. Time to save up for one if you wanna do this kind of photography... or get the cheaper f4 version and up the ISO... or get a cheap prime.....

There is a reason why people do the things they do. Understanding that reason would help you learn more and progress. Btw, the SFF lighting is quite bad this year. The gray runway also does not reflect enough light back up. Someone should really ask the lighting crew to up the lights. But hey, its fashion.... frivolous and fickle... hehe. Don't get so worked up over this. Since you are doing this as a hobby, strive to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    dude, those using flashes dont just fire one and go away. they BURST alot, and the magnitude just got worst with just a few of them flashing.

the models dont take their sweet time to walk. they take 5 to 8 seconds to reach the end of the runway, pose for 2 seconds and that's it! out of these 10 seconds, if that single perfect shot you had was screwed by someone elses flash, how you feel?!

please, look at the crowd. if everyone doesn't use flash, it would already say something!
    Then if that's the case, too bad lor.. no flash lor.. Got to be considerate.. I am someone who like to shoot without flash if the stage lighting is good enough. You are right that if everyone else keeps flashing, then I would not even have a chance for my shot... even when I keep it at 1/60. I overlooked this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12