Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prosumer in dry cabinet

Default Prosumer in dry cabinet

Not sure if this had been asked before. I tried to search but can't find. Question is as per subject. Do I need to put my prosumer into a dry cabinet?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Prosumer in dry cabinet

Yes, if you're really worried, you should. Singapore is a humid place.

But hey, I don't. So if you want to gamble like me.. You're welcome to! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Rol View Post
    Not sure if this had been asked before. I tried to search but can't find. Question is as per subject. Do I need to put my prosumer into a dry cabinet?

Thanks in advance!
    You can. Especially if you don't use it frequently. Fungus can grow and will grow.

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    You can. Especially if you don't use it frequently. Fungus can grow and will grow.
    But if you use it frequently, fungus won't grow? Hrmph.

Not being flippant, but can explain the logic?

if you have enought space for ur prosumer y not?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    But if you use it frequently, fungus won't grow? Hrmph.

Not being flippant, but can explain the logic?
    Air is constantly circulated when you use your camera. Fungus can grow when the air is stagnant enough, with enough moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    Air is constantly circulated when you use your camera. Fungus can grow when the air is stagnant enough, with enough moisture.
    Ah, I get it.

So we should all go out and shoot more!

But the lens in a prosumer and other ons are a closed system right? Will fungus get in? Dunno if my logic's correct =)

But the lens in a prosumer and other ons are a closed system right? Will fungus get in? Dunno if my logic's correct =)
    erm.. water can get in.. so air confirm can get in... but i believe it's less likely to get fungus on a prosumer and consumer.. normal people don't have dry cabs to keep their cameras and they all work fine...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    erm.. water can get in.. so air confirm can get in... but i believe it's less likely to get fungus on a prosumer and consumer.. normal people don't have dry cabs to keep their cameras and they all work fine...
    Makes sense..thanks!

your camera is not air tight, fungus will grow if the humidity is right.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

there's are 3 fish tanks in my room where i store my camera. i'm pretty worried bout the moisture.. is sicila gell enough? is there anything more 'potent'?

Thanks in advance!

Yes...............

Quote Originally Posted by hacknet View Post
    there's are 3 fish tanks in my room where i store my camera. i'm pretty worried bout the moisture.. is sicila gell enough? is there anything more 'potent'?
    I once put my camera in my fish tank, too. Unfortunately it didn't work out too well because I didn't remove the water and the fishes first.

Silica gel tends to get saturated within days in our environment, more quickly if you didn't empty out the fishtank first. Gets very tiresome to recharge them once every 3 days. Some will suggest Thirst Hippo, etc. Also not recommended as you can't tell exactly what's the humidity in the tank. Too high, no point. Too low and the lubricants in the camera/lenses may dry out.

i kept my g2 in cam bag ... sometimes dry box with silicon gel (that i keep 4getting to change) ...and now age 4yrs old, is ok wo.

hee....but then again...if u are worried, just ensure u play with ur cam everything week. hee
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

In any case, if your silica gel gets saturated, use a hairdryer to dry it if you want to save the money from getting silica gel. The capacity of the silica gel may drop by about 10% but it will still work. This is known as regeneration, which is how those desiccant typed dry cabinet is doing as well.

hmm.. was told by a good friend that i can fry-dry the silica gell.. im waiting for mine to turn pink!

hmm.. was told by a good friend that i can fry-dry the silica gell.. im waiting for mine to turn pink!
    u technically can.. i know of people who use toaster ovens.. basically do anything that will evaporate the water... but i really wouldn't use my frying pan.. might spoil it u know... and i'm not sure what happens if it gets too hot...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

HAHA! i'm the impatient-itchy-backside sort. i'll probably try the frying pan method and see if it works out

HAHA! i'm the impatient-itchy-backside sort. i'll probably try the frying pan method and see if it works out
    it would be great fun for doing it every months, years after years, don't forget to get a flying pan just for the cooking silica, you can't use it for food anymore.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast