Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 273

Thread: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

  1. #241
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    yah.....then bounce back....
    The worst thing is no feedback at all.

  2. #242
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Even my VP (in the States) don't earn that much after converting 1.52x to SGD.

    How come our garment always post higher figures?
    http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/o...salaries.shtml
    So, that they can get even higher salary?
    I agreed to what Hoky mentioned here. Here don't have any natural disasters compared to the US. And more over, less people to manage. How come the ratio is so drastically different? Makes me wonder why?

  3. #243

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    I am kind of curious,

    HOW MANY MINSTERs DID WE LOSE TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR?

    ie did we lose a few ministers in the past decade who LEFT the government to pursure more lucrative positions inthe PRIVATE sector?

    Government keep saying the our talented ministers can command much more pay in private sectors, so did any of them left for the private sector?

    If there are really quite a few of these cases, maybe the pay rise is justified.

  4. #244
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,746

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    True, especially some of the profeesional they compared to, most need to have very long experience in that specific field, most even need to study in that field, take further examination, build up reputation etc. Are the ministers really qualify for those specific terms to get that pay?

    Just wonder if a minister is out of job, can he find a job with a similar or better pay as a minister post?

  5. #245
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,812

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    True, especially some of the profeesional they compared to, most need to have very long experience in that specific field, most even need to study in that field, take further examination, build up reputation etc. Are the ministers really qualify for those specific terms to get that pay?

    Just wonder if a minister is out of job, can he find a job with a similar or better pay as a minister post?
    Yes... ! in fact the pay of CEO in private sector can be 8-9 times higher than their current pay... especially in huge foreign banks.

  6. #246

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    Yes... ! in fact the pay of CEO in private sector can be 8-9 times higher than their current pay... especially in huge foreign banks.
    oh yes, so which minister in the past left government to become CEO of foreign banks? I very blur one. If that is the case, I agree totally we should up the pay to keep talents in the government.

  7. #247
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    Yes... ! in fact the pay of CEO in private sector can be 8-9 times higher than their current pay... especially in huge foreign banks.
    A handfull of them from private sector went back to be ministers too. You people knew who they are (I believe).

  8. #248
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    guys, sidetrack a little.
    less than 5k a month,
    how you guys afford those canon mark 1 blah blah blah and those d2x d2h, 600mm f4 blah blah blah blah blah?



    you must at least save 1/3 of your take home.else, dont even think of getting a wife, starting a family.

    sorry for being blunt.
    You must be earning huge dough man. No offence here dudest.

  9. #249
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,954

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    I find it quite strange, if it is true, for someone serving as an MP or Minister, who is already quite well paid, to say then that they should be paid higher otherwise they would go into the private sector and earn more. If someone is getting 1 million in salary as a Minister and says they should be paid 2 million or more 'cos they could go out into the private sector and earn 4 million as a CEO of a company or Partner in a law firm - I'd say go ahead and leave. 'Cos that says to me, they are not there as a Minister with the best interests of the people/country in their mind, their main priority is looking after themselves and wondering how much they can earn doing something else. They could both be equally competent at being a Minister, but I'd rather someone who was decently paid as a Minister who wants to be there to make the country a better place, than someone who is there because the pay is really good.

  10. #250
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    But it's the truth, that's reality.

    You think Air Force One is free ar. Or entertainment in the form of invading another country? Not cheap ok!
    Well, if someone bomb the hell out off your country men. Will you get pissed off? Look at Pearl Harbour & 911 my friend.

  11. #251
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Adding on to this..real politicians doesn't work for pay, they should work for the people..if they want a bigger or fatter pay package, just go to private sector..the door is always open..
    Here is totally different bro. There's always one sayings: There's no free lunch in this world. Cheers

  12. #252
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Well, if someone bomb the hell out off your country men. Will you get pissed off? Look at Pearl Harbour & 911 my friend.
    he makes more realistic decisions that affects the lives of thousands if not millions. The lives of those not only within US are also affected.

    His country faces a more realistic and imminent threat that others. Yet I think his pay is peanuts compared to those in the private sector.

    We too, make decisions that affects thousands and millions, that is to upgrade the lift that stops every floor or to get that new fanciful walkway.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  13. #253
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    well, they are paid to handle peasants that complain non-stop from morning to death.

    but they are not doing a good job from what i see.
    Just look at Potong Pasir.

  14. #254
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    he makes more realistic decisions that affects the lives of thousands if not millions. The lives of those not only within US are also affected.

    His country faces a more realistic and imminent threat that others. Yet I think his pay is peanuts compared to those in the private sector.

    We too, make decisions that affects thousands and millions, that is to upgrade the lift that stops every floor or to get that new fanciful walkway.
    This is becos more people are getting old than the younger ones (just like Japan & other countries). I believe in another 20 yrs, most HDB flats will have lifts stops at every floor.

  15. #255

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Just look at Potong Pasir.
    they are not paid enough. what you pay is what you get.

    looked at other areas, MP all highly paid, that's why those areas sooo peaceful, cos everyone is happy! they are very glad P a P is in their district! look at straits times, everyone is so happy there! i am happy here in bishan too! why? cos no opposition can even touch bishan. p a p is a monoploy here! we are so happy!! let's wave our hands and support them!

    go p a p . go p a p . go p a p.

    i hope you sense the sacarsm
    e are all happy citizens of singapore under the wonderous political dominance of p a p.
    Last edited by satay16; 26th March 2007 at 05:10 PM.

  16. #256
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,812

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Xpose View Post
    singapore engineers too pampered? Think again.....1.7k as salary for a diploma application engineer holding the role of supporting customers for 3 CAD and CAM softwares, training, Projects, IT administrator, Training material course writer, technical manual writer, office renovator......no OT pay but still stay overnight in office trying to rush out projects almost working from 9am to past midnight everyday and end of yr bonus still tell you only got 1/2 a month no aws......this kind of job who want to do can pls call me....I will be glad to let you take over my position.
    hey pal..time to work smart.. do u know how to surf online job search ?

  17. #257
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    they are not paid enough. what you pay is what you get.

    looked at other areas, MP all highly paid, that's why those areas sooo peaceful, cos everyone is happy! they are very glad P a P is in their district! look at straits times, everyone is so happy there! i am happy here in bishan too! why? cos no opposition can even touch bishan. p a p is a monoploy here! we are so happy!! let's wave our hands and support them!

    go p a p . go p a p . go p a p.

    i hope you sense the sacarsm
    e are all happy citizens of singapore under the wonderous political dominance of p a p.
    Long live p a p...
    Last edited by Spectrum; 26th March 2007 at 05:16 PM.

  18. #258

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    if singapore's GDP, crime rate, corruption figures etc are 300-500 percent BETTER than any other country in the world, then i say you have a case to justify paying ministers and top civil srevants that kind of salary.

    but the fact is, we dont even come in the top for some of these criteria. yet in those countries that do, they are paid far less than what our ministers are paid.

    frankly, the corruption argument doesnt wash anymore.

  19. #259
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    I find it quite strange, if it is true, for someone serving as an MP or Minister, who is already quite well paid, to say then that they should be paid higher otherwise they would go into the private sector and earn more. If someone is getting 1 million in salary as a Minister and says they should be paid 2 million or more 'cos they could go out into the private sector and earn 4 million as a CEO of a company or Partner in a law firm - I'd say go ahead and leave. 'Cos that says to me, they are not there as a Minister with the best interests of the people/country in their mind, their main priority is looking after themselves and wondering how much they can earn doing something else. They could both be equally competent at being a Minister, but I'd rather someone who was decently paid as a Minister who wants to be there to make the country a better place, than someone who is there because the pay is really good.
    lol loyalty not there mah.

    But then, I yet to see a highly paid capable man from the private sector takes a pay cut and goes into the parliament to become a MP
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  20. #260
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,120

    Default Re: Engineers making $0.62 million!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    if singapore's GDP, crime rate, corruption figures etc are 300-500 percent BETTER than any other country in the world, then i say you have a case to justify paying ministers and top civil srevants that kind of salary.

    but the fact is, we dont even come in the top for some of these criteria. yet in those countries that do, they are paid far less than what our ministers are paid.

    frankly, the corruption argument doesnt wash anymore.
    base on land size and population..we have far too many ministers to feed..furthermore they are being paid so much more..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3811121314 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •