Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How many filters for each individual lense?

  1. #1

    Smile How many filters for each individual lense?

    How many filters for each individual lense needed?

    For eg: if you are using macro lense & a zoom lense, will you get an individual filter for each lense since both are diff sizes...What sort of filter would you first buy?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac123 View Post
    How many filters for each individual lense needed?

    For eg: if you are using macro lense & a zoom lense, will you get an individual filter for each lense since both are diff sizes...What sort of filter would you first buy?

    Thanks
    Skylight or UV or NC, one for each lens. The rest like ND, Circ Pol, Soft one for each diameter.

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac123 View Post
    How many filters for each individual lense needed?

    For eg: if you are using macro lense & a zoom lense, will you get an individual filter for each lense since both are diff sizes...What sort of filter would you first buy?

    Thanks
    AS many as you require...

    I'll get a protection filter for most of my lenses, but some may not need one (e.g. 50mm f1.8, well recessed)

    And then you'd need effects filters (this you'd choose on which you'd need most often.

    I'll get a CP-L for the lenses which I may want to take scenery photos or shots near water. Also I'd get some ND's to darken the scene, again most prob for scenery shots.

    Other filters like yellow, red, etc are for my BnW film usage...

  4. #4

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Skylight or UV or NC, one for each lens. The rest like ND, Circ Pol, Soft one for each diameter.
    It's a normal UV or the multi-coated one. As the multi-coated one is quite exp.

  5. #5
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac123 View Post
    It's a normal UV or the multi-coated one. As the multi-coated one is quite exp.
    Get the BEST you can afford. No point degrading the whole image quality due to a lousy piece of filter.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Get the BEST you can afford. No point degrading the whole image quality due to a lousy piece of filter.
    I thot of getting d multi-coated filter (B=W). Do you know how much is it? I've checked from cathay, it's around 100 plus...Do you use one for d macro lens too? Thank you.
    Last edited by Mac123; 23rd March 2007 at 03:30 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    guys, just a suggestion: get those filters that work on any size lens thread...
    forgot what they call them
    so you only need to buy 1 set of filters that works on all your lenses!

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac123 View Post
    I thot of getting d multi-coated filter (B=W). Do you know how much is it? I've checked from cathay, it's around 100 plus...Do you use one for d macro lens too? Thank you.
    Macro lenses, it all depends on which one. Some are pretty well recessed, like the 60mm f2.8 from Nikon.

    So for those, you may not need to use a filter.

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    Quote Originally Posted by michhy View Post
    guys, just a suggestion: get those filters that work on any size lens thread...
    forgot what they call them
    so you only need to buy 1 set of filters that works on all your lenses!
    That's for the effects filters. Protective filters are best fitted on permanently (i.e. a Nikon NC or B+W UV filter on your better lenses)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: How many filters for each individual lense?

    I only have one lens now... but this would be what i'd do...
    get a UV filter for all lenses... cir-pol for each of my filter sizes... ND and GND for my wide-angle lens filter size... only if i have money i'll get ND filters for other sizes...

    right now i use B+W... it's expensive.. but i rather buy once and not bother about upgrading or stuff like that...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •