Thread: ............... Canon L lens .....................

Default ............... Canon L lens .....................

Dear pro ,
    I'm using a 75-300mm is usm lens to take surf pic , thinking of getting a 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter to take further object . How's e pic quality ?

If i would get a 70-200 f/4 L usm lens with 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter will the quality better than the 75-300mm is usm lens WITHOUT teleconverter ?

I'm using a 350d now , was thinkin of getting a 30d . How/wat does the USM affect on the pic quality or camera performance ?

Which give a better quality pic >
    Canon 75-300mm is usm + 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter or without teleconverter.
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 + 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter.
    Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 APO EX RF HSM Lens .

Can only afford either one of this 3 combination .

Regards ,
    Andi .
    Last edited by twin fins; 22nd March 2007 at 06:37 PM.

Default Re: ............... Canon L lens .....................

Quote Originally Posted by twin fins View Post
    Dear pro ,
    I'm using a 75-300mm is usm lens to take surf pic , thinking of getting a 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter to take further object . How's e pic quality ?

If i would get a 70-200 f/4 L usm lens with 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter will the quality better than the 75-300mm is usm lens WITHOUT teleconverter ?

I'm using a 350d now , was thinkin of getting a 30d . How/wat does the USM affect on the pic quality or camera performance ?

Which give a better quality pic >
    Canon 75-300mm is usm + 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter or without teleconverter.
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 + 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter.
    Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 APO EX RF HSM Lens .

Can only afford either one of this 3 combination .

Regards ,
    Andi .
    I wouldn't bother putting a TC on the 75-300.. it'll just be making things worse and wasting money.

The 70-200 you mentioned would be a more viable option. But i'll only put a 1.4x TC on it. I wouldn't even recommend putting a 2x on it unless its a prime.

The sigma well - its known as the bigma - you need to invest in a monopod as its 1 huge/heavy sucker. On good copies, its pretty good & sharp...have seen quite a few shots by this lens by CSers. But beware, if you're shooting low light, you'll cry when the AF starts to crawl. Having used 1 before, only once, the image through the viewfinder is quite dark at the 500mm end (F6.3) though reported back to your camera is 5.6

If you're going for the 70-200 + 1.4x TC or bigma, i'd recommend getting a monopod as well.

And what is wrong with the 350D ? Is it limiting you in anyway yet? (please don't bring resolution in - i'll forsee alot of others who will be slamming you)

Get your basics right first, decide what you want to shoot mainly and proceed on from there. Until you feel that the 350D is seriously limiting you, then its time for a change.
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 22nd March 2007 at 07:11 PM.

If u need to mount the 70-200 f/4L on a tripod or monopod, i'll recommend getting the tripod mount too ($147 w/GST) from Canon Svc Ctr as it'll be more balanced.

To TS, i won't get a TC if i were u as it'll somehow degrade quality. If u need more distance to take yr surfing pics, i recommend the 300 f/4 L IS instead.

By the way, USM does not affect pic quailty in anyway, just to make AF silent and fast.
    Last edited by Snoweagle; 23rd March 2007 at 12:14 AM.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Dear dethangel ,

" And what is wrong with the 350D ? Is it limiting you in anyway yet? (please don't bring resolution in - i'll forsee alot of others who will be slamming you)

Get your basics right first, decide what you want to shoot mainly and proceed on from there. Until you feel that the 350D is seriously limiting you, then its time for a change."

Nothing wrong wif the 350d , just that 3 frame per sec a li'l too slow for wakeboarding n surfing pic . 1d markII way out of budget , 30d is the closest i can effort .

Thx ..

perhaps you can consider a used 20D. 5 frames as well. around 1.2k at the BNS market now?

300 f4 is a good option. or else you can consider a 70-200 2.8 with 1.4. works well.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Quote Originally Posted by wanzw View Post
    perhaps you can consider a used 20D. 5 frames as well. around 1.2k at the BNS market now?

300 f4 is a good option. or else you can consider a 70-200 2.8 with 1.4. works well.

Pals coming from HK gonna help me get e brand new 30d body , 300mm lens is still a li'l small on my object . That's why am thinkin of gettin a TC ... . wat do u think ?

btw 30d $1580.00 , 20d $1390.00 . Which would u get ?
    Last edited by twin fins; 22nd March 2007 at 09:04 PM.

wah 30D so cheap now. of coz is 30D lor. lol. if out of budget then get a 70-200 2.8 and a TC then
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Quote Originally Posted by wanzw View Post
    wah 30D so cheap now. of coz is 30D lor. lol. if out of budget then get a 70-200 2.8 and a TC then

Really TIGHT budget , i don make $$$ from takin pic tho. . ..

Really TIGHT budget , i don make $$$ from takin pic tho. . ..
    if you are shooting wakeboarding/surfing pics.. mabby you want to consider 100-400 w/o TC.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    if you are shooting wakeboarding/surfing pics.. mabby you want to consider 100-400 w/o TC.

hi , ya talking bout CANON EF 100-400MM 1:4.5-5.6 right ? Wat's e damage for a USED lens ?

hi , ya talking bout CANON EF 100-400MM 1:4.5-5.6 right ? Wat's e damage for a USED lens ?
    2nd hand going rate is around 1.9-2.2K ...

Remember - like the 50-500, it requires a monopod, crawls when its around 5-6pm or when lighting is poor. But its lighter and you need to get used to the push/pull zoom. There are copy variations as well. So beware and test carefully.

Default ............... Canon L lens .....................

Anyone use a Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6 L USM Lens before ? Need to know the pic quality ...... Thx .

looks like you going for telephoto, why not consider the Sigma 100-300 f4 + Sigma TC? probably slightly less than 2k

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    2nd hand going rate is around 1.9-2.2K ...

Remember - like the 50-500, it requires a monopod, crawls when its around 5-6pm or when lighting is poor. But its lighter and you need to get used to the push/pull zoom. There are copy variations as well. So beware and test carefully.
    Hey there,

I have a 100-400L in perfect condition... I can consider letting it go.. I also have the 500D and extension tube that can be paired with that..

It's really a great lens.. You can handhold the lens very well in decent lighting.. However, the AF does get slow in dim light, and you will need a tripod(like any long lens) under dim light if you going slower than around 1/60s.

This lens is also not very good with teleconvertors... But it does great without...

I'm planning to let go of it since I shoot a lot of birdies... May consider getting a long prime that can be paired with a convertor to get longer focal length..
    Sony a7rii + Batis 2/25
    Gitzo 1530 + Markins Q3