Thread: Question about dry box.

Default Question about dry box.

I would like to know whether it is normal to have a dry-box that show humidity around 60-70% after 24 hours in Singapore ?
    What is the expected humidity that can be achieve with dry box ?
    Will a dry-cabinet do the job better ?

Default Re: Question about dry box.

A dry cabinet would definitely be better. The recommended humidity for my dry cabinet is between 45% and 55%.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Dry box i believe dun have fix humidity one, because it got no control of the humidity at all.

My dry box will have 70% if open up. But will drop to 40% within 1hr once it has been closed.

If your dry box got 70% humidity, it might indicate it is leaking, because 70% actually is the humidity you get in normal environment.

If got budget, go for dry cabinet, digital control one might save your time trying to adjust to the correct humidity. But a bit costly......

Borrow your thread if u don;t mind since it's about RH level. I went to digi-cab to get my faulty power adapter changed and at the same time, bought a spare digital hygrometer for my 60l Derox cabi handed down from my dad. Didn't trust the analog meter which seem to be perpetually at 60-70% but was sure the box is working.
    The guy told me my older meter in my 20l box is better as it updates constantly while the newer one updates every 30mins. Doesn't really bother me.
    Anyway, the new one is always showing a lower reading than the older digital meter. I placed both in the same cabi and the old is showing 42% while the new is showing 32%. I set the dial at the 3 o'clock position. which is showing the correct reading

For those that own the older digi-cab dehumidifier, did u know while the drying unit is gauranteed for 5 years, the power adapter is not? I had to buy one for $25.
    Last edited by scenic98; 22nd March 2007 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rendrat View Post
    I would like to know whether it is normal to have a dry-box that show humidity around 60-70% after 24 hours in Singapore ?
    What is the expected humidity that can be achieve with dry box ?
    Will a dry-cabinet do the job better ?
    If you dry box is showing 60-70% it means your humidity is too high or your meter is wrong. Either way, you need to fix something.

I just bought a new dry cabinet and I put the hygrometer from my old cabinet inside too.
    New meter (digital): 50% Old meter (analog): 40% approx.
    New meter (digital): 40% Old meter (analog): 30%

So my old hygrometer is registering lower humidity than my new meter. I have been operating my old dry cabinet at 50% (60% by new digital meter) for the last 8 years and so far no fungus.

In any case, don't trust your hygrometer unless you have it calibrated or benchmarked with another meter. And try to stay below 50% in case the meter is slightly inaccurate. Pray hard and store your infected lenses separately.
    Last edited by An drew; 22nd March 2007 at 04:25 PM.

The problem with humidity, unfortunately, is that it is very poorly understood. But in general, an analogue hygrometer has a very slow response, compared to a digital hygrometer. so very often, it will be safer to refer to the digital meter.

In any case, fungus generally grow when the ambient humidity is dominantly higher than 75%. Singapore, unfortunately, is considered one of the most humid countries in the whole world, with humidity around 70% most of the time. That's why having a dry cabinet becomes so important here. And if your dry box/ cabinet is reading 60-70%, then it is not working. But if the humidity is kept below 60%, then you should be safe from fungus.

In relation to this question, where can I get an affordable small dry cabinet? Any recommended shops?
    See.Shoot.Share

Quote Originally Posted by docdeng View Post
    In relation to this question, where can I get an affordable small dry cabinet? Any recommended shops?
    john 3:16, AP, CP or even carrefour
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|