View Poll Results: Do u remove the tripod head when put into the luggage bag?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 44.12%
  • No

19 55.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do u remove the tripod head when travel?

Default Do u remove the tripod head when travel?

hi,

Do you remove the tripod head when you put your tripod in to the luggage bag and check it in when traveling by flight? Will the head get damage when the luggage bag size is exactly the length of the tripod?

I am not sure if I should remove the head.

TQ

Default Re: Do u remove the tripod head when travel?

Well i had no choice,i couldnt fit the tripod into the bag with the head

no, get a bigger luggage bag.

Are we allowed to carry-on the tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    Yes, I tried a few times so far no problem. The best is check when you are getting your boarding pass, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    no, get a bigger luggage bag.
    The size difference of those square luggage bag are quite big, sometimes for short trip u just dont feel like bringing the big bag
    Last edited by vinwin; 21st March 2007 at 11:28 PM.

Can I have a stupid question ..

Did any one carry the tripod in handluggage? Is this ok?
    Last edited by standingup; 22nd March 2007 at 12:38 AM.
    A person is useless unless he is standing up for himself, for his future, and for his dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by standingup View Post
    Can I have a stupid question ..

Did any one carry the tripod in handluggage? Is this ok?
    Yup, it's the same as carring it with bare hand, the x-ray will detect it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinwin View Post
    Yup, it's the same as carring it with bare hand, the x-ray will detect it.
    No lah..What I meant was : Do they consider it as "things" that could cause injuries to other (like can-opener, knife..). You know the tripod look heavy. Would some body use that to knock down the pilot and hijack?..
    Last edited by standingup; 22nd March 2007 at 12:54 AM.
    A person is useless unless he is standing up for himself, for his future, and for his dreams.

Yup, I've always removed the head when travelling long distance. You'll never know when the bag is going to be thrown. Some of the brands have levers/dials that protrude out a little too much for comfort. A little knock at the right angle will twist/bend that off. Last thing you want is to lug that heavy bag all the way to the mountain top and find the QR plate or friction grip stuck.

Never had problems hand carrying standard size tripods on board any flights.

I've always handcarry on my tripod with no problem, only that in Narita airport I had to remove the tripod head cuz they had this regulation of handcarry luggage not longer than 60cm and my tripod with head is about 70cm, so I had to remove my tripod head before they let me pass the security. Weird ruling I think, cuz I'll just put the tripod head back on after I clear the security.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    Yes.. And No..

Best to check at ticket counter AND airport security...

I had bad experience in Hanoi returning to S'pore:
    I asked the ticketing counter staff whether I can bring tripod onboard as hand-carry and was told no problem.. But when going through immgration checkpoint, the airport security stopped me saying tripod must be sent in as checked-in luggage..
    So I went to the ticketing counter to get it checked in.. The counter staff say "no need" and can board plane with it..
    So I went back to immigration and got stopped again by security saying need to check-in..
    So I went to the ticketing counter to get it checked in.. The counter staff say "no need" and can board plane with it..
    So I went back to immigration and got stopped again by security saying need to check-in..
    You get the idea right..?

Basically ding-dong back and forth almost half hour, eventually the tripod was cling-wrapped (US$3, i think) then was sent in cargo hold...

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    Yes.. And No..

Best to check at ticket counter AND airport security...

I had bad experience in Hanoi returning to S'pore:
    I asked the ticketing counter staff whether I can bring tripod onboard as hand-carry and was told no problem.. But when going through immgration checkpoint, the airport security stopped me saying tripod must be sent in as checked-in luggage..
    You get the idea right..?

Basically ding-dong back and forth almost half hour, eventually the tripod was cling-wrapped (US$3, i think) then was sent in cargo hold...
    You meant Hanoi, some where in Vietnam ah?

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean View Post
    I've always handcarry on my tripod with no problem, only that in Narita airport I had to remove the tripod head cuz they had this regulation of handcarry luggage not longer than 60cm and my tripod with head is about 70cm, so I had to remove my tripod head before they let me pass the security. Weird ruling I think, cuz I'll just put the tripod head back on after I clear the security.
    Same here. Just threw my tripod into the overhead cabin and let the ball head bounce around. Unless you are using very precise ones like from Arca Swiss, ordinary ball heads are much tougher. My sis dropped the 30KG luggage (hard case type) directly onto my ballhead (attached to tripod) and the head was fine...

You meant Hanoi, some where in Vietnam ah?
    Yup.. Travelling from S'pore to Hanoi was okay... Returning from Hanoi to S'pore was issue..

Quote Originally Posted by tamiya_model View Post
    Same here. Just threw my tripod into the overhead cabin and let the ball head bounce around. Unless you are using very precise ones like from Arca Swiss, ordinary ball heads are much tougher. My sis dropped the 30KG luggage (hard case type) directly onto my ballhead (attached to tripod) and the head was fine...
    Arca swiss can also survive banging....from experience

No lah..What I meant was : Do they consider it as "things" that could cause injuries to other (like can-opener, knife..). You know the tripod look heavy. Would some body use that to knock down the pilot and hijack?..
    eh actually that wud be pretty funny... front page

MAN HIJACKS PLANE WITH CAMERA TRIPOD.......

put terrorist to shame man!

I am concern that if we screw and unscrew the tripod head for many time, it will become loose ... Is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by vinwin View Post
    I am concern that if we screw and unscrew the tripod head for many time, it will become loose ... Is this possible?
    are you kidding me? just don't screw the thing so tight lah.... you don't know how to judge you own strength... ? use some white teflon tape if you are so scared.

for me, when travel, i would reverse the head so that it is protected by the legs and the total length is also lower. I havent tried this, but i think you can further protect it by put it in the middle of the luggage and wrap a T shirt or something around the head, then the legs hold it --> strong frame - shock reducer - sensitive item

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast