View Poll Results: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 51.72%
  • No

    28 48.28%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 78

Thread: Does a Masters degree help in today's career progression?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    6th Avenue
    Posts
    637

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    u teaching life sciences and Biodmedical? Must be some Professor or something?
    Need not be a prof. i think, masters or even degree will do IMO.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by StudioFever View Post
    Need not be a prof. i think, masters or even degree will do IMO.

    Erm.. dun think a basic deg can be a poly lecturer.

  3. #23
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    u teaching life sciences and Biodmedical? Must be some Professor or something?
    Could be teaching assistant what. I taught life science undergrads when I was doing mi postgrad.

    Also, other than prof, there are teaching fellows (with PhD or masters) who teaches undergrads as well.

    For poly lecturers, it depends on course and polytechnic. Some lecturers don't even need degree, if they have relevent industrial experience lor.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat View Post
    Could be teaching assistant what. I taught life science undergrads when I was doing mi postgrad.

    Also, other than prof, there are teaching fellows (with PhD or masters) who teaches undergrads as well.

    For poly lecturers, it depends on course and polytechnic. Some lecturers don't even need degree, if they have relevent industrial experience lor.
    Haha still didnt get the joke...

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
    Tell me about it....

    Going away from here for my post-doc.
    Haha... for you man!

    Woww... seems like quite a lot of pple here are in this industry huh.

  6. #26

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    =(

    It depends on your case what. Everyone's case different.

    I mean, not that I'm trying to be flippant. But if your career is bus driver by choice, you get masters degree in any blardy thing sure won't help you in it?!

  7. #27

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    that is strange, i taught life sciences, biomedical sectors are current top notch industries in Singapore. Recently govt even pumped money into it.
    u trust our media?

    Biomed sectors are top notch INDUSTRY......note INDUSTRY.....not discipline, not field of study, not nature of research nor job profession!...... compounded by the fact that according to some people, local grads are guppies...i believe they refer to these local PhD grads....then how about the rest of us? without PhD?

    PLANKTON!

    u just produce and get eaten up...... who cares how much of u left after being chewed up.... at least guppies can be beautiful...they can have patterns, they are useful in studying genes, they can HELP DOCTORS (which the media proclaim, but in fact its more for scientists to ANALYZE and design specific drugs/antibodies to target, but nono, the docs are the ones dealing with patients, so they will get all the credit...) ....which explains y when i answer, i'm a research assistant, 99% i get the reaction.....wah....labwork very dirty hor. must experiment with "germs, and viruses".

    So tell me lar......if there is no plankton or producers, will there be whatever food for the guppies? if no guppies, got other fish? if no other fish, got whale?

    ultimately, y so many locals here leave for greener pastures, cos there ARE countries that values the contribution these plankton/micro-organisms called RESEARCH ASSISTANTS do!
    coupled with the fact that if u're their citizen, they DO offer training/special scholarships SOLELY for their citizens to up their knowledge....... WITHOUT a need to be a TOP NOTCH student!

    In SG, there are a couple of programs that is doing that...but while they offer a chance for people, ultimately if the pay sux, what good and use is that? at the end of the day, if going to work requires some form of financial planning.......what use will that be?
    Last edited by plsoong; 22nd March 2007 at 12:11 AM.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    =(
    I mean, not that I'm trying to be flippant. But if your career is bus driver by choice, you get masters degree in any blardy thing sure won't help you in it?!
    Not necessary. You can become the manager of the intechange, or SBS or TIBS.
    And I'm sure if you get a masters degree, you don't have to remain a bus driver, which I suspect is the exact reason why the bus driver wants to get a masters!!

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    So tell me lar......if there is no plankton or producers, will there be whatever food for the guppies? if no guppies, got other fish? if no other fish, got whale?
    No offence, and I totally get your point...
    But jus wanna point out that your food-chain illustration here is not very accuate.
    Actually whales eat plankton, not fish... so you didn't have to go that big round. And guppies don't eat plankton either; they eat fish pellets or bloodworms.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    Erm.. dun think a basic deg can be a poly lecturer.
    can - basic degree with experience.

    some poly also accept fresh grad with basic degree.

    just go to any of the poly website and check out the Career Oppouritunities Page, under Academic Positions.
    Last edited by Paul_Yeo; 22nd March 2007 at 07:13 AM.

  11. #31

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    I am a Master degree holder (overseas graduate), BUT my pay is less than some diploma holders.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    Erm.. dun think a basic deg can be a poly lecturer.
    can.


    <p>
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  13. #33

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    I am a Master Degree holder in IT and do not think that this qualification is all that impt for many industries and employers.

    Unless you wanna work for govt, the higher the qualification the better. For most companies, BSc is enough liao (the rest is all in your work performance).

    Sometimes it is not that employer see O levels people no up, there are many smart O level people around. The problem is that some of them lack some formal training and are not equipped with the knowledge to "talk" to their colleagues and customers. For example, asking an O level guy to do simple statistics on Excel is already a big challenge. Getting someone who is not so well-versed in english to read documents which are legally binded is risky. Worse, if the O level guy does not speak english well and "ta too ta too ta .." kind.

    The real smart O level and lower qualified person will not fight it out in the office knowing they are at disadvantage. Many of them become real estate agents, businessman etc and easily earns 10X what the degree holders earn.

    Even my buddy who is a degree holder gave up his $5500.mth IT job to be a real estate agent 1 year ago. Today, he is earning about $15K a month (not bad for a newbie!). His team mate who are all diploma holders and below but several years more experienced in the business are making $40-50k for most of the months in a year.

    When I compare myself with them, degree yes got master somemore ..but come to $$$ smell no smoke ... ...
    Last edited by ianpaice; 22nd March 2007 at 09:13 AM.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Real Estate, like insurance, is almost like a 24/7 job.

    Yes, $15K/mth. Just like I see a friend who's a Financial Planner, $0 basic but on commission alone, she's drawing well over $3K. A Poly grad. 24/7 job.

    The wife of a close friend, working with a particular telco as a saleslady, has her basic even lower than mine. On the borderline of $1K. But combined with her commission? Twice of that of my gross pay. She ain't getting that Top Sales Personnel for nuttin'. Has got less than 5 'O's. Works 12hr shift a day.

    Another friend, currently in a IT Security Job in a Bank. Ex-colleague. Drawing well over $5K/mth. Works possibly more than 12hrs a day.

    Me? I'm working in a job that gives me reasonably good satisfaction (nobody can be 100&#37; satisfied with their job, lets face it). IT Research Work. ITE Grad with NO FORMAL QUALIFICATIONS IN IT. Taking a degree that currently absolutely non-related to technology in any sense. Earning around a $2K range. Works between 8 to 10hrs per day.

    Bottomline? Where do you want to go? Just for that $$$$$$$ and willing to work like nuts? Personally, grunting abt one's high quals with a 'low' pay and having low quals but 'high' pay comparison is like comparing the length of your Penis with others.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Go for a Masters to learn more, as it is more specialised than a bachelor degree. Don't do it thinking you can get a job because of it. Knowledge is more important.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  16. #36

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ianpaice View Post
    I am a Master Degree holder in IT and do not think that this qualification is all that impt for many industries and employers.

    Unless you wanna work for govt, the higher the qualification the better. For most companies, BSc is enough liao (the rest is all in your work performance).

    Sometimes it is not that employer see O levels people no up, there are many smart O level people around. The problem is that some of them lack some formal training and are not equipped with the knowledge to "talk" to their colleagues and customers. For example, asking an O level guy to do simple statistics on Excel is already a big challenge. Getting someone who is not so well-versed in english to read documents which are legally binded is risky. Worse, if the O level guy does not speak english well and "ta too ta too ta .." kind.

    The real smart O level and lower qualified person will not fight it out in the office knowing they are at disadvantage. Many of them become real estate agents, businessman etc and easily earns 10X what the degree holders earn.

    Even my buddy who is a degree holder gave up his $5500.mth IT job to be a real estate agent 1 year ago. Today, he is earning about $15K a month (not bad for a newbie!). His team mate who are all diploma holders and below but several years more experienced in the business are making $40-50k for most of the months in a year.

    When I compare myself with them, degree yes got master somemore ..but come to $$$ smell no smoke ... ...
    personally I think we should just work hard to do whatever you like to do. Nowadays, when I visit those career fairs at suntec, there are more educational booths than actual job booths!!! Every tom dick and harry university wants to get more students because of $$$$$, suckers then line up and study some masters for the "feel good" factor.
    most become poorer, not smarter!

  17. #37

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    But if your career is bus driver by choice ...
    Tell me who CHOOSE to be bus driver?

    I would think more often than not people become bus driver because there is NO CHOICE.

  18. #38

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    Tell me who CHOOSE to be bus driver?

    I would think more often than not people become bus driver because there is NO CHOICE.
    nowadays, they are known as bus "Captains"

  19. #39

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    Tell me who CHOOSE to be bus driver?

    I would think more often than not people become bus driver because there is NO CHOICE.


    Whatever floats people's boats.. Me, I'd rather believe in the fact that there is probably at least ONE person in this world that might want to be a bus captain. =)

  20. #40

    Default Re: does a masters degree helps in today's career progression ?

    Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    nowadays, they are known as bus "Captains"
    Its the least - and costs nothing - that you can do for someone who is stuck with something that he dont want but still told that its his choice. I am sure the bus driver wants to choose to be his own boss, like everyone else.

    Usually you tell someone its their choice when you know they got no choice so that they have to live with the consequences and can't blame anyone for it, least of all to look for you for help.

    So now you know why the government tells you that you have a choice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •