Thread: Some questions and recommendation needed

Default Some questions and recommendation needed

Is the lens of an SLR-like camera interchangeable?

I am looking for a camera with the following options:
    -Either DSLR <$800
    -Or SLR-like with 3.0mp, 10x zoom. Must have aperture and shutter speed.

I am considering older models (brand new) as i am not particularly interested in the IT stuff. Would they be cheaper than a newly released model?

Thanks.
    Herman.

Default Re: Some questions and recommendation needed

=> Only SLR or DSLR can interchange lens

-Either DSLR <$800
    => It all depends on your needs

I am considering older models (brand new) as i am not particularly interested in the IT stuff. Would they be cheaper than a newly released model?
    => Not necessary cheaper, old model <> cheaper, it depends on the make and quality, especially so for lens.

For DSLR < $800 , guess you can go for 2nd hand DSLR...but bear in mind you will need to buy lens which will add up to > $800.

For DSLR-like digicam, I would recommend S3IS....which it have M / TV / Av mode for you to play around with aperture and shutter speed.
    However the lens is not changable, is a fixed lens, you can add filters or tele / macro / wide lens but keep in mind the "lens" mentioned here for this digicam is different from those lens mentioned for DSLR ^^. Is more like a filter...a better qualtiy one though. hee
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

Hi Herman,

Welcome to CS.

Quote Originally Posted by hermanchauw View Post

Not really clear on the question you've asked. I'll try OK.

An SLR allows you to change your lens according to the situation and perspective you want to achieve. (eg. it allows you to change your prime lens to a zoom lens of the same mount) But you cannot change the lens of another mount to your camera. (eg. You cannot use a Canon lens on a Nikon camera. (at least not without an adapter, not sure if there's one in the first place).

-Either DSLR <$800

Around $800, you can get a 2nd hand 6MP DSLR with kit lens from the B&S section quite easily.

Newly released models are generally more expensive (given the same specifications) but it really depends on what you want and older models (brand new) may not be easy to find in the market.

Thanks.
    Herman.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Wow, thanks for the prompt replies.

How durable are 2nd hand DSLRs? How can i guarantee that it has a long enough lifespan for the 2nd hand user?

Is the Canon S1 IS still sold in shops? How much would it cost now (2nd hand or brand nw)?

Which shops have the widest range of old models?

Thanks.
    Herman.

How durable are 2nd hand DSLRs? How can i guarantee that it has a long enough lifespan for the 2nd hand user?

=> It depends on which class of camera you are looking at, and how the previous owner use it. I've just bought myself a 3rd hand D100 and the condition is still good.

Is the Canon S1 IS still sold in shops? How much would it cost now (2nd hand or brand nw)?
    => Search the market place for prices or closed deals. Generally CS prices are lower than in shops.

Which shops have the widest range of old models?
    => Try walking down to Excelsior, Peninsula and Adelphi shopping centres, lots of used cameras/repair shops.

-Either DSLR <$800

Thanks.
    Herman.
    Herman, I think you're talking about prosumers (that's the codename for not exactly P&S, not exactly DSLR cameras here)..

DSLR will not get $800 for body even unless you get second-hand.
    Why you want prosumer with only 3.0 MGP? Very rare and hard to find. S1 IS is almost impossible to find, perhaps you can aim for H1, I know Rashkae and a few more people are selling it here and there.

Brand new older models will have certain constraints and performance is GENERALLY not that good.

Get a prosumer point and shoot. DONT get a DSLR because it's not what you need nor want. It may sound better to get a DSLR, but you will regret it.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

you can't. neither would the seller know.

when the manufacturer refuse to give at least 3 years of warranty (reasonable duration), and give only 1 year, you should know what kind of confidence level we have in the electronics nowadays.

if you are on budget, it is best to stick to compacts and prosumers and live with the limits. if you can stretch your budget and think you are fine with heavier and more conspicuous stuff, then DSLR, but bear in mind, your lens option is still limited heavily by budget.

$700-$1200 is meant for 2nd hand entry level/enthusiast level camera bodies maybe with kit lens, hence your budget option is really tight, considering nowdays most brand new compacts are selling $400-800.

2nd hand ....whether is it lasting depend on your luck and how old is the cam already.

bought my G2 2nd hand, which is already abt 1yr old when i bought it. And i have been using it since 2003 ^_^ good cam!!!

bought my 400D dslr, 2nd hand, but is only a 1 month old body, so as good as NEW hahahaha. but of course...the price is still pretty expensive....since only 1mth old.

you can consider buying 2nd hand S2 IS / S3 IS instead....since S1 is pretty old...shutter count might be high. S2 is newer, and S3 most likely still have warranty. All these are below $800.
    (S2 IS 2nd hand probably ard 400-500? not sure)
    Canon G2

night86mare

DSLR will not get $800 for body even unless you get second-hand.

I have checked dpreview, the cheapest DSLRs are selling at about USD500. 500 * (max 1.6) = 800. And that i suppose the price listed is brand new.

Why you want prosumer with only 3.0 MGP?

Why do i want to spend more money on mp that i would not or rarely use? I am not going to print big photos. And at 3R or 4R, 3mp is good enough. And i don't print photos very much.

Brand new older models will have certain constraints and performance is GENERALLY not that good.

Could you elaborate?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    It may sound better to get a DSLR, but you will regret it.
    Could you elaborate?

Thanks.

I have checked dpreview, the cheapest DSLRs are selling at about USD500. 500 * (max 1.6) = 800. And that i suppose the price listed is brand new.
    Are you in Singapore? You should really take into account shipping fees and whether got kit lens or not, I'm not sure about that, because I don't intend to buy from overseas.
    Why do i want to spend more money on mp that i would not or rarely use? I am not going to print big photos. And at 3R or 4R, 3mp is good enough. And i don't print photos very much.
    Honestly, even second-hand prosumers with lower MGP are not worth your money. Just giving you example, most of the stuff I've seen being sold will be about $350 upwards. Add a bit more and you get exponential returns. About $500 will get you a decent second-hand prosumer with warranty still if you look hard enough.

I'm not promoting the "what-if" mentality, really. It's good that you know what you want, and not just try to keep up with the jones, but honestly.. My advice will be to get 5 MGP upwards. You never know. Plus if you want to crop you'd be glad you got a 5 MGP instead of being stuck with just 3 MGP thing that doesn't cost any much lesser than 5 MGP.. With potential problem of repairs and all that due to the model being obsolete - therefore manufacturers might not produce spare parts, etc.. Hope you get what I mean. Just like why sometimes it is better to get a new car than old car.
    Could you elaborate?

Thanks.
    Simple. Would you agree that technology has the GENERAL idea of improvement, and not deprovement? Of course not all cameras and their replacement models get better and better, but in MOST cases, there will be improvements made to image quality, performance, weight, among other things. Why compromise if you have the $? And when you only have to add a little.

Seriously dude, it is a pain in the ass to look for a 3-4 MGP cam these days if you're talking prosumer. First-hand too. So why not just get something higher, that does better work at a very slightly higher price tag?

i think he is trying to mean ...he is OK with 3.0mp (or min. 3mp? ) ...not that he must get a cam exactly 3.0MP???
    Canon G2

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Are you in Singapore? You should really take into account shipping fees and whether got kit lens or not, I'm not sure about that, because I don't intend to buy from overseas.

Honestly, even second-hand prosumers with lower MGP are not worth your money. Just giving you example, most of the stuff I've seen being sold will be about $350 upwards. Add a bit more and you get exponential returns. About $500 will get you a decent second-hand prosumer with warranty still if you look hard enough.

I'm not promoting the "what-if" mentality, really. It's good that you know what you want, and not just try to keep up with the jones, but honestly.. My advice will be to get 5 MGP upwards. You never know. Plus if you want to crop you'd be glad you got a 5 MGP instead of being stuck with just 3 MGP thing that doesn't cost any much lesser than 5 MGP.. With potential problem of repairs and all that due to the model being obsolete - therefore manufacturers might not produce spare parts, etc.. Hope you get what I mean. Just like why sometimes it is better to get a new car than old car.

Simple. Would you agree that technology has the GENERAL idea of improvement, and not deprovement? Of course not all cameras and their replacement models get better and better, but in MOST cases, there will be improvements made to image quality, performance, weight, among other things. Why compromise if you have the $? And when you only have to add a little.

Seriously dude, it is a pain in the ass to look for a 3-4 MGP cam these days if you're talking prosumer. First-hand too. So why not just get something higher, that does better work at a very slightly higher price tag?
    Interesting points you brought up. I'll consider the S3 IS then, look good for my budget. But then, i'll look around more before spending my cash.

Why don't they make more options with low mp cameras? I see the trend in camera is the mps are getting more and more, even for the low end models, but still not more manual functions. I'd rather they keep the mp and improve more on the manual stuff.

On a side note, drifters like to get olders cars. From what i have read, it's because the cars and parts are cheaper.

Interesting points you brought up. I'll consider the S3 IS then, look good for my budget. But then, i'll look around more before spending my cash.

Why don't they make more options with low mp cameras? I see the trend in camera is the mps are getting more and more, even for the low end models, but still not more manual functions. I'd rather they keep the mp and improve more on the manual stuff.

On a side note, drifters like to get olders cars. From what i have read, it's because the cars and parts are cheaper.
    Haha, it depends I guess.

For your budget, these are the cams you might want to look at, assuming prosumer:

1) Sony H2/5/7/9 - H7 and H9 are not coming out yet. From my view, maybe I'm biased but these are good all-rounders. Very fast AF, sharp and good most of the time. Only trouble is not very wide - 35 mm widest. Image Stabiliser also there. Noise handling is best, imho.. With a good balance between detail and noise reduction. One con would be that it uses Memory Stick Pro Duo lor. Also cannot shoot RAW for H2/5 if I'm not wrong.

2) Panny FZ30/50/7 - Good IS, good lens, bad noise handling. As in, high ISO pictures have low noise but no detail.. Too aggressive noise reduction in-camera.

3) Canon S3 IS - good all-rounder, but haven't used it. One big plus point is the swivel LCD. IS is quite ok too, along with image-quality and noise-handling.

4) Fujifilm 6500fd - if you're going to shoot at lot of landscapes or situations where you need wide lens, this one gives 28mm widest. Manual lens style also, very good noise handling, best of the lot mentioned here. Trouble is no IS. =)

Quote Originally Posted by digi~ET View Post
    i think he is trying to mean ...he is OK with 3.0mp (or min. 3mp? ) ...not that he must get a cam exactly 3.0MP???
    Yes. I find 3mp is more than adequate for my purposes.