Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Do you think you have control over your future?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    We can only steer toward our goals in the future.
    But do you know what your goals are?

    Sure! you say - loudly, stamp your feet, and bang the table - I WANT TO GO TO THE ZOO.

    Sure go.

    But is going to the zoo what you ought to do?

    You may say it doesn't matter. Any goal is good as any, it only matters that you have one.

    OK then if any goal will do, why not let me tell you what to do - and stop shouting and stamping your feet - and just listen.

    But no, you cannot let people control your life. You must have control.

    But isnt the argument going full circle, even before it has started? Its not established firstly whether you have control at all, so why insist on something that you don't and cannot have?

    But even if I accept your argument that any goal can do as long as it is something you decided for yourself, the following may happen.

    On the way to the zoo, it rained, a massive jam started on the SLE, and ended you eating char kway teow at Jalan Kayu, and than going down with a bad bad tummy ache, and missed buying the 4D you been chasing for the past 2 years, which, predictably, then opened first prize the next day.

    Maybe you ought not go to the zoo. Even anything but the zoo. Talk about luck.

    But then you don't know, especially of the future. All you know is what people tell you - and you believe them - that you cannot let others decide for you.

    So bottomline: no knowledge no control.

    Anyone dare say he knows the future?
    Last edited by espion; 21st March 2007 at 01:34 PM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    u can plan for the future, but not control it.

    who knows next day u kena accident? u can control it so that u'll not kena accident or no jam till cannot go zoo?

  3. #23
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    We can't really control our future. We can only steer toward our goals in the future. So many unpredictable parameters that will affect our future.
    I think this is the closest to what I've been thinking of.

    We can set the direction but what how the future is going to play out can be beyond us.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    I know I want to eat ice cream, and later went to buy ice cream
    so does that means I know my future?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by michhy View Post
    I know I want to eat ice cream, and later went to buy ice cream
    so does that means I know my future?
    watch out for the bird flying above when walking on the street

  6. #26

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    watch out for the bird flying above when walking on the street
    Or for the newbie photography with itchy fingers from clubsnap who took your picture of you licking the ice cream and post it later for critique in the forum, and then you become world infamous, like the Afgan (sic) girl.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    money of coz

  8. #28
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    it is my actions, not my thoughts, that determine my future.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

  9. #29

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by michhy View Post
    I know I want to eat ice cream, and later went to buy ice cream
    so does that means I know my future?
    Its moot, its hypothetical.

    For something may happen between now even as you think about buying an ice cream, and the later before you go buy the ice cream.

    For you may have read the latest post here and started to think twice ...

    In some sense your lost control to someone typing rubbish here.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by michhy View Post
    I know I want to eat ice cream, and later went to buy ice cream
    so does that means I know my future?
    You made a choice... "I want to eat ice cream"

    The you took some action... "and later went to buy ice cream"

    The real situation??
    1) Shop is open and you bought and ate ice cream... your predicted future came true

    2) Shop is open and you bought but on the way out, some bird decided to bomb your ice cream... your predicted future did not come true

    3) Shop is open and you bought but on the way out, some bird decided to bomb your ice cream...BUT YOU DID NOT NOTICE IT AND ATE IT... your predicted future come true... but now you are in a toilet trying to get the crap out (additional unpredicted part of your future)

    4) Shop is open and you bought but on the way out, some bird decided to bomb your ice cream...BUT Hiro Nakamura warps into your reality and slaps the crap out of the way and you ate the ice cream... your predicted future come true... but only in an episode of Heroes...

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    Or for the newbie photography with itchy fingers from clubsnap who took your picture of you licking the ice cream and post it later for critique in the forum, and then you become world infamous, like the Afgan (sic) girl.
    Now... the question is... if you DID NOT lick the ice cream (let's say he bites a chunk of ice cream instead)... would the newbie photog become a world famous...

  12. #32

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by quekky View Post
    u can plan for the future, but not control it.
    Why plan then? Make yourself happy? Give yourself the illusion of control?

    So you may say what is the alternative to planning?

    Well we need to shift the paradigm first before we can answer the question.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    You made a choice... "I want to eat ice cream"

    The you took some action... "and later went to buy ice cream"

    The real situation??
    1) Shop is open and you bought and ate ice cream... your predicted future came true

    2) Shop is open and you bought but on the way out, some bird decided to bomb your ice cream... your predicted future did not come true

    3) Shop is open and you bought but on the way out, some bird decided to bomb your ice cream...BUT YOU DID NOT NOTICE IT AND ATE IT... your predicted future come true... but now you are in a toilet trying to get the crap out (additional unpredicted part of your future)

    4) Shop is open and you bought but on the way out, some bird decided to bomb your ice cream...BUT Hiro Nakamura warps into your reality and slaps the crap out of the way and you ate the ice cream... your predicted future come true... but only in an episode of Heroes...

    What happens if you walk into the ice cream shop and there is a bikini-clad model sitting on top of the ice cream box?

    Wouldn't ice cream turns into eye cream?

  14. #34

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    Now... the question is... if you DID NOT lick the ice cream (let's say he bites a chunk of ice cream instead)... would the newbie photog become a world famous...
    Well if never lick but bite, then the ice cream fell off from the cone.

    And he looked around and thinking no one is seeing him, picked it up, and had a second bite, all unknowing that the newbie photographer from clubsnap is shooting every step in the entire sequence: bite, ice cream dropped to ground, looked around, pick it up, and second bite.

    And the newbie titled the pic, Second Bite. Then surely very world infamous instantly.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Wouldn't ice cream turns into eye cream?
    Or some other cream ...

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    What happens if you walk into the ice cream shop and there is a bikini-clad model sitting on top of the ice cream box?

    Wouldn't ice cream turns into eye cream?
    Call Mattlock for a mass shoot???
    Mmm..... sweet hot fudge.... creamy vanilla.... rocky road..... lick, slurp, drip...

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    Well if never lick but bite, then the ice cream fell off from the cone.

    And he looked around and thinking no one is seeing him, picked it up, and had a second bite, all unknowing that the newbie photographer from clubsnap is shooting every step in the entire sequence: bite, ice cream dropped to ground, looked around, pick it up, and second bite.

    And the newbie titled the pic, Second Bite. Then surely very world infamous instantly.
    Hahah!

  18. #38

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    *stamps his feet*

    I want to go to the zoo!

    *goes the zoo*

    There, I controlled my future.

    I wonder if Sion stamps his feet before putting on the pink shoes.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    *stamps his feet*

    I want to go to the zoo!
    *smack smack*

    si gin nah, zoo zoo zoo, zoo your head lah zoo, you think you money alot is it?

  20. #40

    Default Re: Do you think you have control over your future?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    *smack smack*

    si gin nah, zoo zoo zoo, zoo your head lah zoo, you think you money alot is it?
    The last time I went I got free pass! =D =D =D

    Papa don't preach!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •