Thread: War Photographer (James Nachtwey) by Christian Frei

Default War Photographer (James Nachtwey) by Christian Frei

Just wanted to share with aspiring photojournalist and photographers in general about this great film documenting some of the on-the-ground workings of the well respected American photographer James Nachtwey.

What really impresses me about this film is the fact that it documents James when he is really out there in conflict areas, so it's really upfront and in your face so you can almost feel what he is going through; from dodging gunfire to the adverse effects of tear gas. Furthermore the film employs the use of microcams mounted on Nachtwey's camera so that you can see his point of view when he is shooting, every turn of the dial on his canon body and every click of the shutter right as the event unfolds.

Other than excellent location photography, interviews from news correspondents like Christiane Amanpour, editors from Stern magazine and host of other professionals in journalism really give insight on the workings of Nachtwey and photojournalism in general.

For those who have gotten the chance to see the film, do hope you can share your thoughts on it...

I'm quite sure you can't get the dvd locally, I probably didn't search hard enough. Got mine through Amazon which cost a reasonable S$53 inclusive of shipping. So for those really interested, I recommend that you get the dvd.

On being a photographer:

"We're not the ones infront of the camera, we're behind the camera. We're not performers, we're not atheletes or actors or dancers. The way we move our bodies is not our message. We are invisible."

Default Re: War Photographer (James Nachtwey) by Christian Frei

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk View Post
    Just wanted to share with aspiring photojournalist and photographers in general about this great film documenting some of the on-the-ground workings of the well respected American photographer James Nachtwey.

What really impresses me about this film is the fact that it documents James when he is really out there in conflict areas, so it's really upfront and in your face so you can almost feel what he is going through; from dodging gunfire to the adverse effects of tear gas. Furthermore the film employs the use of microcams mounted on Nachtwey's camera so that you can see his point of view when he is shooting, every turn of the dial on his canon body and every click of the shutter right as the event unfolds.

Other than excellent location photography, interviews from news correspondents like Christiane Amanpour, editors from Stern magazine and host of other professionals in journalism really give insight on the workings of Nachtwey and photojournalism in general.

For those who have gotten the chance to see the film, do hope you can share your thoughts on it...

I'm quite sure you can't get the dvd locally, I probably didn't search hard enough. Got mine through Amazon which cost a reasonable S$53 inclusive of shipping. So for those really interested, I recommend that you get the dvd.

On being a photographer:

"We're not the ones infront of the camera, we're behind the camera. We're not performers, we're not atheletes or actors or dancers. The way we move our bodies is not our message. We are invisible."
    Yup, Amazing film and it I respect him for his dedication to his craft.

And err, you can get the dvd here. I bought mine from HMV @ Citilink. Price about the same as what you paid for.

Default Re: War Photographer (James Nachtwey) by Christian Frei

lol and hence the 'probably didn't search hard enough' part... just when i thought i was a regular vistor to the hmv dvd section..