Thread: ram query

Default ram query

i specifically asked for 4GB ram.

now when i check system under control panel, it shows 3.25gb only.

is this normal?

Default Re: ram query

What do you mean? What kind of system are you using? Is your graphics card or other devices sharing ram??

Even if graphic sharing, it's still way too low ...it is about 775MB missing

But then can't be installation wrong because usually it is physically 4 x 1GB

Maybe Jeanie eye blur, see the wrong figure

it normal .. i have 768mb in my system .. it will only reflect 752. so it is normal

Quote Originally Posted by Luval View Post
    it normal .. i have 768mb in my system .. it will only reflect 752. so it is normal
    Huh?
    I have 768MB of RAM and my system shows me 768MB.

Some drop is normal. Its due to the fact that 1GB is actually 1024MB... So some conversion factors is involved. But the case Jeanie faced is too steep a drop. I agree 775MB is too much. But apart from resource sharing, there are seldom other reasons that can make the ram "disappear"?

Check your board specs. Some boards are unable to allocate above 3Gb; For these type of boards majority of ram above 3Gb may end up being useless. Thus if you had put up 3 Gb of ram, it'll show up as 3Gb; put in 4Gb of ram it shows up as 3.25Gb; put in 5Gb of ram, it shows up as 3.5Gb (this is an example only).

I think Win XP is not able to address all 4 gigabytes of ram. Read on some hardware forums that ppl use Win XP Pro 64 bit if they want to use 4 or more gigs of ram.

Thread moved to Kopitiam due to non-photography topic.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

in the case of the latest Intel iMacs from Apple, they can only support up to a max. of 3GB. even if you put in two sticks of 2GB, only 3GB will be recognised and usable.

could this be the same with your computer's motherboard, a hardware limitation?

in any case, there are memory testers out there. do a search and run some tests. a lot of RAMs come with lifetime warranty nowadays, shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.

good luck!

was the ram installed properly in the slots? eg; channel configuration?/seated properly & latched in ram slots? OS could also be another factor as the 32bit windows xp could not address 4gb properly, also try flashing the mb cmos to update the bios to see if it helps.
    Last edited by AQVA; 20th March 2007 at 11:50 AM.

32-bit windows? that's normal, 1GB is set aside for kernel

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137/en-us

upgrade to 64-bit or other OS if u wanna use the full 4GB