Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ITE student, 16 killed in road accident

Default Re: ITE student, 16 killed in road accident

Quote Originally Posted by Ramke View Post
    Hi All,

First of all My sincere condolence to the family.

Most of the time cyclists are youngsters. These youngsters normally very active,fast thinking and stylish. They are the future of singapore. I wont like to impose ban on cycle/cyclists What we cannot and should not do is :

1) Banning Cycles.
    2) Seperate lane for Cyclists.

What we can do:

a) In schools and Colleges, let them teach students about the value of life and teach them good riding/driving habits.
    b) Keep Notices inside the school and it should always be visible to all the students and teens about the good hapit of riding/driving. Indirectly, tell them what will happen if they do not ride/drive properly. Can quote some incidents to scare them of the bad habits.

c)At home parents should tell their children to be careful while they cycle out from home.

d) All news paper in Singapore, should allocate some space on their newspapers for this to tell the youngsters about good habit of riding/driving cycle/motorcycle/cars etc (considering young singaporeans are affected by this knowingly or unknowingly). I would appreciate, if they place some statistics everyday/once in a week on the paper for year about this kind of incidents (like foreign exchange rate) once a week, this should really scare not only youngsters also others and make them ride/drive vehicles properly with more caution.

Regards
    Ramke
    You can do that for SIngapore....but you still cannot address the problem from across the straits! They are alot worst then the cyclist or motorcyclist here. You just have to stand at BKE one day to observe, and you will understand what I mean. They think that their life is cheap or they have many to spare!

Roads and bike tracks and pavements should be banned.

Bring back the horse (with soft bumper bars attached) .... and maybe a bucket strapped to their arse.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Ban Cycling.... Ban this ban that. there will always be black sheep among the group. But in this case there are more black sheep. Why? Kids have access to bicycles, and the chances of a immature kid riding on all over the shop is more likely.

Same for motocycles, why ban it? My dad has been riding safely all his life. And some young punk zooms around and get hit and my dad gets ban from the road? Wat's the logic in that?

With great power comes great resposibility, likewise with great speed comes great responsibility. Dun Drink and drive... i mean anyhow cycle. follow the laws of road users while on the road. Signal on turns for give way or turning. Stop at stop lines, turn your head to check blind spots, slow down at junctions. dun try to cut lanes, do no try to cycle on the highway, use bicycle tracks as much as possible, avoid roads until nessesary, wave for courtesy on the roads by road users,it makes a whole lot of difference for motorist and gives them a reason for giving way to you.

Here in the east there are bicycle lanes which lead from east caost to pasir ris. Use them until you need get off the bicycle "highway" then procced on the roads.

If everyone had a lisence to CYCLE on the road that would be different. i think this would be the best solution for a SAFER cyclist and motor vehical road.
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by SianZronG View Post

If everyone had a lisence to CYCLE on the road that would be different. i think this would be the best solution for a SAFER cyclist and motor vehical road.

I can imagine it now:

1. People's bicycle licenses kenna "kan tong"
    2. Having to pay to park your bicycles.
    3. Installing IU units on bicycles.

Our GDP is about to increase again...

Anyway.....I feel that the MOST IMPORTANT POINT is.....

Use your God given fantastic senses & brain!!

The story goes like this...

I got a friend, who is a teacher told me. She and her teachers are very upset, 'cos this very good boy got knock down by a car and is in a coma right now. He crossed the road at the traffic light even when his friends tempted him to jaywalk. So he went to the traffic light and got hit.

So....he obey his parents, teachers, law..... but....... What's his brain for??

We are to use our senses and brain. Not fix rules and directives to BLINDLY follow.

Quote Originally Posted by manx View Post
    Anyway.....I feel that the MOST IMPORTANT POINT is.....

Use your God given fantastic senses & brain!!

The story goes like this...

I got a friend, who is a teacher told me. She and her teachers are very upset, 'cos this very good boy got knock down by a car and is in a coma right now. He crossed the road at the traffic light even when his friends tempted him to jaywalk. So he went to the traffic light and got hit.

So....he obey his parents, teachers, law..... but....... What's his brain for??

We are to use our senses and brain. Not fix rules and directives to BLINDLY follow.
    thanks for upping the thread, quite surprised I still never read the thing.... I am waiting for....

I think the problem is quite simple.

Car Drivers think they own the road and everyone should give way to them or even better get off the road all together.*

Motorcyclists think they can zoom around the road without consequence.

Cyclists think they have the best of both worlds, being able to use the road and the sidewalk.*

Any solution involving the word "ban" only serves to try and block the symtoms and does even come close to a "cure".

But until the general attitudes of singaporeans towards others improves this situation (among others, eg getting of the MRT without being blocked by a wall of bodies) will not improve.*

Back to the point.*

Car Drivers you are not the only ones entitled to use the roads, motorcyclists are just as entitled as you are and cyclists are also just as entitled to use the roads, however on the roads all three groups must obey the road rules. Unfortunately kids being kids and not knowing the road rules is where a problem lies and as with a prevous post, Education is the key.*

Once the attitudes change then we will see less death on singaporean roads.*

Quote Originally Posted by ndroo View Post
    That's real sad.

Guess the drivers and cyclists must be more careful, since a cycle lane is not possible. I almost slammed into cyclists few times before ... those young punks just 'fly' out of nowhere without even looking. Once I was driving into a multi-storey carpark and guess what ... a teenager on his bike appeared from the carpark entrance. He just ignored me when I horned (and offered him my middle finger) and rode away. Duh!
    so if your child gets hit and is a cyclist we will call him or her a young punk too then? ...should be more thoughtful bro

condolences

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    that is the problem. too bad the police do not enforce/ dont have traffic rules for cyclists. JP law actually classify cyclists as second class users of walkway. They are not allowed on the roads with cars.

1. Not allowed to honk at pedestrians to make way for them.
    2. Cannot interfere with the pedestrians` passage for their own sake.
    3. On crowded passages, they are to push instead of riding their bikes.

Well not entirely enforced, they are still pretty well behaved most of the time. Both sides make way for each other. That is the understanding that the society lacks.
    Have u seen how 'automatic' some ppl get on buses and MRT here?

Yesterday nearly got into a fight with someone on the crowded bus simply becos that guy had his elbow merely inches away and moving my head alone doesn't help so I have to raise my hand and touched his elbow gently to remind him that there's someone's face abt to be popped by his 'strong' elbow. He din realise his own mistake, start swearing and wanted to pick a fight.

Yes, with this kind of ppl around, without the lack of proper discipline and self-awareness around, I dun expect Japan or US kind of laws that calls for great civility on the part of the ppl themselves to work. Unless the people change, laws will never change.
    Last edited by jsbn; 20th March 2007 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Have u seen how 'automatic' some ppl get on buses and MRT here?

Yesterday nearly got into a fight with someone on the crowded bus simply becos that guy had his elbow merely inches away and moving my head alone doesn't help so I have to raise my hand and touched his elbow gently to remind him that there's someone's face abt to be popped by his 'strong' elbow. He din realise his own mistake, start swearing and wanted to pick a fight.

Yes, with this kind of ppl around, without the lack of proper discipline and self-awareness around, I dun expect Japan or US kind of laws that calls for great civility on the part of the ppl themselves to work. Unless the people change, laws will never change.
    u did not bring him on ? so wutz his size

Can bring him down if I really wanted but ask urself, what's the point?

I take his first blow, I break his wrist or his arm in return, he can't work, he might have children, he might have an aging mother or wife.

I simply smiled and apologised. Everything cooled off. Sorry to disappoint u, no Royal Rumble (I don't like fighting. But dun take that as a sign of weakness).

Short fuses are bad enuff, lack of self-awareness where ppl who are itching for a fight, in a society where ppl simply think of, "Win-win-win." and "I, me, mine. He/They/You Shld/Ought to/Must/Have to" instead of the reverse. Its next to impossible to enact all these new fancy utopian laws which it seems many ppl would like to have in their version of a 'democratic Singapore'.

vince123123
    Guests

A much higher proportion of cyclists and motorcyclists flout basic flow of traffic on lanes. Cyclists ride all over the shop, crossing many lanes into the path of motor vehicles, do not observe pedestrian crossing and think they are a motorised vehicle. Motorcyclists straddle two lanes, thinking that the dotted line is a sort of "motorcycle" expressway. Either that or they have serious hand-eye problems keeping in the centre of lanes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjames View Post
    Car Drivers you are not the only ones entitled to use the roads, motorcyclists are just as entitled as you are and cyclists are also just as entitled to use the roads, however on the roads all three groups must obey the road rules. Unfortunately kids being kids and not knowing the road rules is where a problem lies and as with a prevous post, Education is the key.*

whatever it is, cyclists may not be trained in traffic rules, anticipate or understand traffic.

so drivers must drive carefully.................responsibility is knowing the consequence & taking the right action to avoid any undesirable consequence.....sometimes I see drivers "speeding" in carparks, not terribly fast but without realsing that carparks have a lot of blindspots, or there may be kids who might for some reasons dashed out, etc. (blindspots = whatever you cannot see, don't ASSume!)

....so what if u think the bikers think they own the road?...........never let such negative thoughts or attitudes affect your safe & responsible driving..........keep safe distance, lane discipline, patience, never under estimate speed & braking distance, constantly check mirrors for any "reckless" bikers, .........even if you wish you could knock them down like in an arcade game, remember it is not a game, because there is such thing as guilt & conscience. They have families too.

Motor vehicles give us the power & freedom, but comes with responsibilities.
    Last edited by rokieto; 21st March 2007 at 01:26 AM.

I take taxis very often and i can say many drivers here are reckless just to save seconds.

In Europe. (But of course this is singapore not europe, nevertheles a point),
    there are laws that cars have to give way to cyclist.

Down here, everybody seems to have a negative thinking about cyclist and sometimes they go out of their way to scare them.

Sometimes cars even speed in carparks, which i find a very sad thing to see.
    Last edited by Rheo; 21st March 2007 at 01:30 AM.

ban ban ban..

or rather

blah blah blah..

singapore drivers are maniacs
    Last edited by Adrius; 21st March 2007 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Can bring him down if I really wanted but ask urself, what's the point?

I take his first blow, I break his wrist or his arm in return, he can't work, he might have children, he might have an aging mother or wife.

I simply smiled and apologised. Everything cooled off. Sorry to disappoint u, no Royal Rumble (I don't like fighting. But dun take that as a sign of weakness).

Short fuses are bad enuff, lack of self-awareness where ppl who are itching for a fight, in a society where ppl simply think of, "Win-win-win." and "I, me, mine. He/They/You Shld/Ought to/Must/Have to" instead of the reverse. Its next to impossible to enact all these new fancy utopian laws which it seems many ppl would like to have in their version of a 'democratic Singapore'.

jsbn, I admire your depth of thought in such a situation
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

IMHO, the drivers here in Singapore are just too impatient and horrid.
    Probably think they own the road seeing how much they paid for the cars, COE, ERP etc.
    There's very little tolerance shown towards cyclists.
    They would zoom past cyclists and stuff.
    Very despisable.
    I am a cyclist, I adhere to road rules, can't say for most of the drivers here.
    I cycled in the States as well, there are bicycle lanes on the road, drivers are courteous to drivers, they keep a distance away unlike here, even if I tried to take up as little space on the road by cycling on or near double yellow lines, cars still tried to squeeze past me.
    Seriously, need to inplant a courteous chip in their heads!~

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post
    so if your child gets hit and is a cyclist we will call him or her a young punk too then? ...should be more thoughtful bro
    Yes you can. And I will do the same to yours or anyone's. What's wrong with calling someone a young punk? To me it means 'an inexperienced young man' and nothing else worse than that.

Btw, I have nothing against cyclists or those on motorbikes. I used to ride on those too. I just hope people are more careful and not take for granted the drivers are always looking.
    Last edited by ndroo; 21st March 2007 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    jsbn, I admire your depth of thought in such a situation
    Training in Aikido for quite a while, it develops more than ur physical abilities, but a line of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    A lot of Malaysians sure kenna affected if this ban is imposed.
    not mainly malaysians.. chinaman and indian workers [not offence here]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast