Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rom

Default Re: Rom

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    just use whatever you have to shoot the ROM for them, but you need a hotshoe flash, your friend don't ever bother to fork out $200~$300 to hire someone, why you need to buy a flash to use on them? if you think you can buy and use the flash in future, by all mean.

many couples think ROM is a very small event, not willing to spend money to record it, not that they can't afford, many just think is not necessary, so this is really up to them.

I have seen many couples just happily let their friends or relatives using PnS to snap away during ceremonies, out of 10 couples, maybe only one or two couple really hire a photographers. this is the reality.

the ceremony itself is very short, less then 5mins, you have to work very fast, get your setting right before you go inside the room, (presume the ROM is take place at the Registry Office at the ground floor of ROM building). just stand next to the registrar, you able to get most of the shots from that angle, bear in mind that the room is very small, so don't think that you are able frame everyone in your picture, just concentrate on the couple, remember, ceremony is very short, no time for you to review your shots, and you miss any of the shots, that's it. don't forget to get a group shot of the registrar, the couple and the two witnesses, before leave the room.

when outside the room, can go and take all the group photos, when you are in doubt, just see what people do, than you follow.

ps, just notice you mention the ROM is take place at SRC (Singapore Recreation Club), well, can spend money on the venue, reluctant to hire a photographer, that's the reality.

good luck!

yes yes ,, agree on that . .ROM is 1 of the fastest event that can ever "flash" across your very eye and with that slow camera. It even faster without you realising it .. ..

good luck man..

anyway, wishing all ROM couples living happily ever after...

with or without photographers/nice photos

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    anyway, wishing all ROM couples living happily ever after...

with or without photographers/nice photos

Nice one.

Michael

To: All Pros and Full-time ROM Photgraphers,

I am sharing my life-time of researches and experiences with you, in relating to ROM Photos Service and To-be-ROM Couples ...

Here's my take ( take it with a pinch of salt, if it doesn't tally with your experiences ) :

[1] Couples who pay little for ROM Photo & Services, or took the minimum package -- Rarely, if ever, returns for the next life-time Photo service ( Pre-wedding or Wedding day ).

[2] Couples who pay alots for ROM Photo & Services, or took the Premium package -- Very High Chance of returning for the next life-time Photo service ( Pre-wedding or Wedding day ).

In short, [ Pay minimum = No return | Pay premium = Loyalty Customers ]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[3] Couples who are NOT into Professional ROM Photography service, are likely NOT into good appreciation of photo works and skills. Chances for paying for premium photo services in Pre-Wedding is low, while a low budget set for Wedding day is at a high probability.

[4] Couples who are NOT into Professional ROM Photography service, but engage a friend or relative to cover the shots. Chances for paying for premium photo services in Pre-Wedding is High, while a low budget set for Wedding day is at a high probability. *Remarks: This category of Couples are usually viewed ROM / Wedding events photographers as "cheap" freelancers, whom they are NOT willing to pay a premium. However, they would regards Pre-Wedding Bridal photos as a premium or of importance, and willingness to 'Top-up' or Upgrade their packages, if being convinced by the bridal operators.

In short, [ These 2 groupings are usually avoided by Premium Wedding Photographers | While usually Freelancers will be taking the crumbs from the 4th group ]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Note: The above info is solely for your own research and references only. Take it at your own risk
    Last edited by Enchanted; 19th June 2007 at 11:43 AM.

to digress a bit ... I was just asked by a buddy to back up the photographer he hired for the AD/wedding banquet.

First of all, I hate shooting events, and wedding is an event. Second of all, if I am shooting, evenas a back up, I wont be able to enjoy the wedding party. Third of all, I generally do not like to goto weddings, let alone shooting one. Last but not least, why hire a photographer if you do not have confidence that he/she will indeed deliver.

I really do not understand this, how can wedding couples feel that they can impose on their friends to shoot their weddings?

I have decided, I will politely decline to shoot.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Friend photographers dun get to eat the food during the dinner.. =D..

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    to digress a bit ... I was just asked by a buddy to back up the photographer he hired for the AD/wedding banquet.

First of all, I hate shooting events, and wedding is an event. Second of all, if I am shooting, evenas a back up, I wont be able to enjoy the wedding party. Third of all, I generally do not like to goto weddings, let alone shooting one. Last but not least, why hire a photographer if you do not have confidence that he/she will indeed deliver.

I really do not understand this, how can wedding couples feel that they can impose on their friends to shoot their weddings?

I have decided, I will politely decline to shoot.
    hey, I agree on your pointer in the 2nd para. n dun hire the photographer if u are not comfortable with the photographer.

I wont mind to shoot for friends, but i dun like to be back up. =)

One thing to add is that when shooting for friends in important events, even if its for a favor, there is some degree of responsibility and burden on the photographer. And if the photographer friend is carrying only one camera, imagine one of the following occurs while shooting an important fleeting moment:

- Camera body displays error message
    - Camera batt fails
    - CF card fails
    - Lens mechanism fails
    - Flash cannot fire

The risk of one of the following happening is low, but it does happen when you least expect it. Imagine the stress and having to explain the missed shots.

Having an active backup system helps.

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    hey, I agree on your pointer in the 2nd para. n dun hire the photographer if u are not comfortable with the photographer.

I wont mind to shoot for friends, but i dun like to be back up. =)
    It has nothing to do with being a back up.

If I take up the request to shoot, it becomes a job, and how am I, who is supposed to be a close friend, enjoy the wedding? I found that this is really an imposition from the part of the wedidng couple to put friends in these situation.

Well, saw some of the photos. If I were the couple, I will start to worry. However, getting a friend who does not shoot weddings or events to be a backup is not the solution.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

after attending weddings and shooting photos, i prefer the latter more.. it's just my personal feel... =)

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    after attending weddings and shooting photos, i prefer the latter more.. it's just my personal feel... =)
    you mean no drinking, no partying ....

ok, you shoot, I party
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

u can do it.
    read up and test flash techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    you mean no drinking, no partying ....

ok, you shoot, I party
    i grown out of partying.. party overdose.. alcohol overdose.. now is detox period..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123