Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rom

Default Re: Rom

Quote Originally Posted by x-iii View Post
    well, i'll think of it as they are giving me an opportunity, rather than they are throwing the responsibility to me. so yep, i'll keep in mind.. i also have a very bad habit of reviewing every photo after i have taken them. guess that's the bad part about digital cameras!
    actually my personal view is that getting a friend to shoot means that that friend is not going to enjoy the event ... oh well

practise abit with the flash before the event, since you mentioned it's a high ceiling situation, watchout where you're bouncing the light if you choose not to shoot with direct flash

they dun hire pro and use u b'cos the trust that you can do it mah... have faith in yourself !

Quote Originally Posted by happyepower View Post
    they dun hire pro and use u b'cos the trust that you can do it mah... have faith in yourself !
    that is a very optimistic view. But some times it isn't so. but nonetheless, you can just go and give it a try. Even if you are not the "official" photographer, I'm sure you'd be taking lots of photos anyway right? It's a good time for practice.

in a way is good. because the tension is gone and if you can inject some humor within. it will be more enjoyable for the couple and you as well. the pictures will definitely turn out to have a more "enjoyable" mood. or rather the couple can remember their ROM day better as well.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    ps, just notice you mention the ROM is take place at SRC (Singapore Recreation Club), well, can spend money on the venue, reluctant to hire a photographer, that's the reality.

good luck!
    Now haven't we all encountered this before. Heh. Or better yet, those that want pro standard photos but not willing to pay even a lower-than-industry-standard rate.

your tips on positioning. Would be critical for new shooters not familiar with the layout of the room at ROM.

Yeah, if they called on you for help, they must have some confidence in your abilities. If they want your help only just because no need to pay, well, as they say, when you pay peanuts...

either way, don't stress it. I personally think you shouldn't over-stress yourself with so much technical details. It will take your focus away from what is most important - capturing the moment. If you're not very confident about this, just borrow a flashgun, use your kit lens, put P-mode, auto-everything for the important must-have shots. Bounce the flash if ceiling permits, if not, just aim straight at the subjects.

If you want to get creative, turn off the flash once in a while. (only for non-critical shots, pls)

Seriously, these will produce more than acceptable shots (provided your basic composition is ok, lah).

As for the ROM procedures, these days, it's like damn fast, lor. Before you know it, everything is over. Just hover over the shoulders of the people at the table (not too close, though!) and shoot anything that moves! Exchanging of ring, couple kissing, witnesses signing papers, etc.

Yes, it really is that simple.

All the best.

my fren once asked me to cover but im not confident enough since i have been shooting macro and scenary maninly. but u covered sch event before shd be quite ok.

ROM whether impt or not....depends if they are going to have wedding dinner n other ceremony or not. My fren dun seems to have + i am not into portrait so i advise them to hire pro...which they did lah.

if i dun remember wrongly, the pledge thingy will take abit of time, so u can take many pics during that timing. dun 4get on the couple's families also...

we did have a group photo after that ^^ heee
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

oh ya.. can't neglect their families too. haha. tomorrow's the big day. thanks all

Happy shooting

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    My advise? Ask your friend to hire a pro. No matter how informal they say the ceremony may be, it is still an important event for them.

i rest my case.

Hi, this is my 1st time in a chat. Was reading up for tips on ROM phototaking when I chanced upon this thread. Also facing the same anxiety as friends have urged me to be photographer for the half day event at hotel. Have only used an external flash once with the D80. Reading up and asking questions around. Any expert advice for shooting inside a ballroom? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by JessLeo View Post
    Hi, this is my 1st time in a chat. Was reading up for tips on ROM phototaking when I chanced upon this thread. Also facing the same anxiety as friends have urged me to be photographer for the half day event at hotel. Have only used an external flash once with the D80. Reading up and asking questions around. Any expert advice for shooting inside a ballroom? Thx.
    Use a bounce card or simply direct. Try it out indoors before you take it up...

Quote Originally Posted by x-iii View Post
    I was recently asked by a friend to take photos for her ROM ceremony... It's rather informal but they didn't hire a pro... So I guess my responsibility is quite heavy.
    Anyway, do you have any advice for ROM ceremony only? Like what's the most important moment of that ceremony... Is it advisable to get an external flash unit since it's mostly indoors? I'm currently on a tight budget... Canon 430EX is abit over.. And I only have 350D kit lens (18-55mm). Sufficient?
    From my experience, ya set is sufficient for the room where the signing takes place. Last time I'm still using film slr for the event twice for my friends. Same as ya situation, they can't afford a pro for this.

Since u r using digital, use multi shoot and spot metering (if not centre metering) and set ya iso higher as u r not allow to use flash in the room. Also, there's one designate box to stand in. take as many as possible with all the settings that u think it's apporiate. Practice before the actual day for fast capturing as this is a one time event, no re-run.

Other than that, the rest is up to ya feel to take. That few minutes are crucial and the rest are just gathering event. Most important, don't shake ya cam when taking the crucial moment.

Michael

use bounce flash and flash diffuser if the ambient lighting is not ample.. an open LS would be good for such occasion.. i prefer to shoot without LS indoors in order to capture the ambient lighting into the photo as well.. =) u may consider getting wide angle lens to capture people into a table shot..

Hi, thanks for the advice on flash. Can anyone offer his experience on settings to use in the room if no flash is used. Appreciate.

Hi, thanks for the advice on flash. Can anyone offer his experience on settings to use in the room if no flash is used. Appreciate.
    There is no fixed setting,trial and error.

Before the event begins, take a few test shots to determine which is good and use it.

Maybe can try ISO 400 or higher. Rest is up to ya liking of the imaging.

Michael

use P mode to shoot in ROM room, use iso 400... the process is only 15min and time is quite rush.. so i find P mode work well in that scenario..

use raw.. it can help save a few photos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast