Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I a failure?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Am I a failure?

i think you need to learn to walk first b4 you try to run

i agree with artofshuenalogy !! i often bring my camera out whereever i go !!! i treat it as relieve stress =D ... i admit my photographs are not good enough to be professional .. but i believe some day i reach that standards .... so u not only the one who fail =D ..
    Sometimes it is better to lose and do the right thing than to win and do the wrong thing.

hi hi,

ya right i should not give up yet...cos with all of your constructive comments i think one day i also can turn up some decent shots too....hohoho

ya i read a few of the books...so i know what is aperture, shutter speed etc but i think the books did not cover alot...so sometimes what you all have been discussing i am not sure also....got any books cover technical aspects eg. how focal length of lens will affect images etc etc?

i am sure another way is to read the threads in clubsnap which is always filled with enriching stuffs....

ya i hope to join the outing csers organise...just that my work in shift so weekend will crash with the outing...if not i will join....but don't worry if there is a free time slot i will join...hope to see you all there and hope you all can guide this newbie along...

thanks for the advice guys....

my motto: keep shooting and...alive too!!
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

Read and try more.

Don't just read and then sit there and don't practise it.. Then try to apply when there's no book to refer. After a while, you'd notice that there's not much to it, technically-wise, other than the vision you want to train to express what you want to express.

If you don't like your photos.... CONGRATS!!! You're definitely not a failure because you're critical about your work. You're better than those who can't even get(or simply refuse to) an honest evaluation of whatever they shoot. To shoot something that works for you, you first have to shoot things that doesn't work. Its natural.

Hi,

Don't give up! I'm fairly a newbie too. With my D50 from Jun'06 till today, I have clocked up 6000+ on the shutter count. Of these thousands, a few hundred are of "actual" photography -- vacation pics, family pics. The rest of the thousands are my "learning fee", and is still increasing as we go along Since it's all digital, there's no harm just trying different settings etc, just to see how the camera will work at a particular situation. With luck, I may at least improve the technical aspects of photo-taking. Whether my compositional skills will improve, ha ha, is most likely a different story altogether. Yeah yeah, NPNT, but hopefully I will get more interesting shots to post someday

So -- keep on trying!

you never do things my way..
    dun set target for a hobby, then you never fail.

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT View Post
    you never do things my way..
    dun set target for a hobby, then you never fail.
    Don't set target then how to improve?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    Don't set target then how to improve?
    Use feeling.
    Feel the FORCE, my young Pandawan.

I was just curious... Did you take a look at the exposure bar in your view finder (or led screen)? When you are using the camera in manual mode, if the bar reads -2 and is blinking, your picture is going to be very dark (very underexposed). If the bar reads +2 and is blinking, your picture is going to be rather white. So one of the first thing that you need to do is to get the exposure meter to read 0 while trying to get the aperture and shutter speed that you want to get. If you can't, try to boost the shutter speed. When you have a better feel on this, do some reading up on the topic on metering or exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    I was just curious... Did you take a look at the exposure bar in your view finder (or led screen)? When you are using the camera in manual mode, if the bar reads -2 and is blinking, your picture is going to be very dark (very underexposed). If the bar reads +2 and is blinking, your picture is going to be rather white. So one of the first thing that you need to do is to get the exposure meter to read 0 while trying to get the aperture and shutter speed that you want to get. If you can't, try to boost the shutter speed. When you have a better feel on this, do some reading up on the topic on metering or exposure.
    hi hi,

i thought if the exposure bar is set to zero it will always be zero? i never take a look except for the shutter speed and aperture size....can i ask one question? if in manual mode i adjust the shutter speed and aperture size...the other setting will change itself based on the setting i have set? like if i change the shutter speed or aperture the exposure itself will change???
    Canon IXUS 850 / Canon EOS 400D 18mm-55mm Kit Lens

Quote Originally Posted by cheekiang View Post
    hi hi,

i thought if the exposure bar is set to zero it will always be zero? i never take a look except for the shutter speed and aperture size....can i ask one question? if in manual mode i adjust the shutter speed and aperture size...the other setting will change itself based on the setting i have set? like if i change the shutter speed or aperture the exposure itself will change???
    In manual mode, you have full control of the exposure settings but you will still be assisted by the exposure bar.

No, manual means you get full control.

You have to manually adjust everything yourself.. =D

Well, that's correct. So as you change your shutter speed, you need to change your aperture such that the exposure bar will give you a reading between -2 and 2. It is preferred to read 0 if possible.
    Another way, which I more commonly do, is to set to AV (aperture priority) or TV (shutter priority). In the former, you change the aperture size, and the camera will decide the shutter speed for you. In the latter, you choose the shutter speed that you want and the camera will determine the aperture size for you. For now, stick to the camera's decision. After you are satisfied, you can try to override the camera's metering by using exposure compensation or changing the type of metering used.
    Note: Always watch for your shutter speed. If you are using any shutter speed smaller than your focal length, there may be camera shake. For example, on your kit lens, if you use 18mm, you may use shutter speeds as high as 30 without camera shake being noticeable. If you use a shutter speed of 5, you may find your picture blur due to your hands shaking.
    On the other hand, if you use 55mm, you can use up to 90 for shutter speed without considerable camera shake, but if you use a shutter speed of 30, you may find that the image is blur due to camera shake.

Those who pics you hv seen posted here (or any other places) that made our jaws dropped.... it was not an overnight thing. it takes months... if not years. if it's tat easy... it wont be fun anymore.. right?
    Olympus E-500 c/w dual kit lenses
    Olympus C-730 Ultra Zoom

you are a failure if u giveup now , hehee so keep trying not to be one well i like to use auto , p mode most of the time , 1 day i decide to try out M mode and i realise i dun reali noe how to use it properly so i told myself i can forget abt using auto and p again , die die stick to M and learn no matter how the pic turn out learn from my mistake from the pic , just keep trying , guess wat now i use M mode better than my wife nv giveup

Don't decourage by yourself or people comment about your photos.
    Keep on trying my friend and prastice make perfect.

Jia You
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

I may not be a pro like all of you dai gors out there, but I surely know my basics. Drop me a PM, I will come over and teach you, since this is my holiday I have taught basic photography at my club before la... so if you dun mind a newbie teaching another newbie, I am more than willing to help.

Okay, you need to take step back and slowly think this through.

Dont worry about your composition for now.
    Your immediate priority is to understand exposure.
    Exposure is the calculation of light/dark that you have to control via
    your APERTURE, ISO & SHUTTER SPEED.

Used together, each change in each component affect each other.
    HOW they affect each other is what you need to know.

WHEN you want to use each of them (exploit) is your key.
    WHY you choose the component is up to YOU.

This is the advantage of MANUAL mode.
    It allows you to do what YOU want.

put your cam on a tripod or table.
    focus on anything.
    Set to manual, adjust any of the 3 components till you get a 0 (zero)
    rating in your exposure reading.

Check what you get. it should be correctly exposed.

now using what YOU want to achieve in the shot, use the WHEN & HOW to get what you want.
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

no such thing as fail only when u give up

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast