Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lens for shooting Babies

Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

Regarding the flash and baby's eye issue, is it some kind os social myth???
    Just wonder, if the flash is harmful to the baby's eye, then the baby's eyes cannot expose to the mid day sun light at all??? As the Sun light is much stronger than the flash, especially compare to the bounced flash. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    Regarding the flash and baby's eye issue, is it some kind os social myth???
    Just wonder, if the flash is harmful to the baby's eye, then the baby's eyes cannot expose to the mid day sun light at all??? As the Sun light is much stronger than the flash, especially compare to the bounced flash. What do you think?
    May I ask, who in the right frame of mind allows their kids to look at the sun? All of them would cover up the babies and prevent them from getting too much light at their faces.

As for myth or not, I'm honestly not sure. But personally, I'd rather believe this rather than risk any harm to the kids...

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    May I ask, who in the right frame of mind allows their kids to look at the sun? All of them would cover up the babies and prevent them from getting too much light at their faces.

As for myth or not, I'm honestly not sure. But personally, I'd rather believe this rather than risk any harm to the kids...
    Not sure there are any clinical trial been done on this issue like the flash damage the baby eye. But probably not since no one has raise this issue before or see the significance to trial it?

Thought babies some how need to expose to the sun from time to time, especially if they have mild jaundice. Well, won't the baby have a chance to look at the sun by any chance?

Sure you can believe what you want like everyone else do

I think we are just sharing info here. It's depend on the person want to believe what they see or not.

But if the one sided view have been promoted too much, it will finally become an urban myth.

Not sure there are any clinical trial been done on this issue like the flash damage the baby eye. But probably not since no one has raise this issue before or see the significance to trial it?

Thought babies some how need to expose to the sun from time to time, especially if they have mild jaundice. Well, won't the baby have a chance to look at the sun by any chance?

I think we are just sharing info here. It's depend on the person want to believe what they see or not.

But if the one sided view have been promoted too much, it will finally become an urban myth.
    Jaundice kids, I have some experience with... at least 2 of my younger cousins and 1 kid whom my mom looked after had jaundice... and yes, they were brought down for their usual sun tanning sessions... But each time, I'd notice my aunties and my mom using a small towel to cover up their eyes or sometimes their faces.

Just an observation which I made. In the end, you're free to believe in whichever you prefer to.

Cheers,

FYI bro, both my twins had jaundice at the first week. And when they were under the blue light, both their eyes have to be cover (at all time). Even now at the Special Care Unit, the lights are normally dimely lit, not that kind of bright light.... Light babies eyes are still developing, even for full term new born babies. Their eyes vision is not fully developed and adjusted to the lights yet, u would be surprise, that new born can't really see images. They can only see black and white and blurring images..........

I think logically, all parents would want to keep the flash away from their darlings. I think they would be more precious then the flash or quality of the pics...... cheers everyone~! No quarrel hor..............

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post

Agree. Even adults should not stare at the sun directly or they could go blind. Maybe someone can sacrifice himself in the name of truth, and satre at the sun for a long period of time to see what effects there is....hmm....not me ah!

In the case of jaundice, no matter if you are sunning the baby or putting him/her on the billibed, you still need to cover the eyes.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

so the child nowaday has been well taking care of, all with their eye cover during their tan

Whether the baby eyes are developing or not, I am not sure, but there are no saying that their can't expose to strong light. If flash light has been causing serious permanent damage to the eyes, I am sure we would have know by now already. But the case is we never heard of any??? We do appreciate kind advice from people, but sometime not all advices are good.

My point is just to make our live easier, by using not direct flash to the baby's eye, but bounced flash, we can get good photo of the young cute baby. Do you believe the bounce flash light would be stonger than the outer metal/mirror reflected sunlight? Or we should let babies wear sunglasses when they are at outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Agree. Even adults should not stare at the sun directly or they could go blind. Maybe someone can sacrifice himself in the name of truth, and satre at the sun for a long period of time to see what effects there is....hmm....not me ah!

In the case of jaundice, no matter if you are sunning the baby or putting him/her on the billibed, you still need to cover the eyes.
    I believe most of us have stare at the sun for a quick moment before, otherwise why would we know that the sunlight is so strong, but none of us are blinded or causing serious permenant damage, well, I won't know about small degradation though

If our eyes or the baby's eyes are so fagile, I believe most of our ancestor may have been blinded premature already

But flash is also being flashed through a very short period of time only... will it likely to cause damage, especially bounced flash???

Its not the intensity of the light. Its the 'sudden' - ness that is the problem. My cousin's baby has developed a phobia for cameras because of this. She cried each time she sees someone with a camera. I don't want that for my child.

Bounce flash would have the same effect in this case since it is not the intensity of the light that causes distress. Some children are just more sensitive to it and I don't want to take chances. Even when I turn on the fluroscent light, when it flickers before it comes on, we cover the baby's eyes with our hands. Kiasu? Perhaps.

With the technology we have today, there is no need to use flash at all. We can get pretty decent pictures with available light, high ISO and a wide aperture (1.4/1.8/2.0).

Why there isn't any clinical study on “are camera flashes harmful to babies eyes?”

The answers maybe too simple, so nobody willing to do a research, and no institutions, corporations willing to fund the studies.

AFAIK, all these complains are come from parents.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If I have the funding, my hypothesis for the study is:

"Does strong lighting on infant's eyes make them shortsighted when they grow up"

Just wondering, why more kids these days are wearing specs??? Could it be due to photography is getting more affordable and popular? Just thinking aloud, dun flame me.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Why there isn't any clinical study on “are camera flashes harmful to babies eyes?”

The answers maybe too simple, so nobody willing to do a research, and no institutions, corporations willing to fund the studies.

AFAIK, all these complains are come from parents.

I believe most of us have stare at the sun for a quick moment before, otherwise why would we know that the sunlight is so strong, but none of us are blinded or causing serious permenant damage, well, I won't know about small degradation though

If our eyes or the baby's eyes are so fagile, I believe most of our ancestor may have been blinded premature already

But flash is also being flashed through a very short period of time only... will it likely to cause damage, especially bounced flash???
    It's ok. You are not taking photos of my kids...

so the child nowaday has been well taking care of, all with their eye cover during their tan

Whether the baby eyes are developing or not, I am not sure, but there are no saying that their can't expose to strong light. If flash light has been causing serious permanent damage to the eyes, I am sure we would have know by now already. But the case is we never heard of any??? We do appreciate kind advice from people, but sometime not all advices are good.

My point is just to make our live easier, by using not direct flash to the baby's eye, but bounced flash, we can get good photo of the young cute baby. Do you believe the bounce flash light would be stonger than the outer metal/mirror reflected sunlight? Or we should let babies wear sunglasses when they are at outdoor
    The advice from the PD and rental companies for sunning and the use of the Billibed is to cover the eyes during the period.

You don't know whether your ancestor were blinded or not. We don't keep track of such things. Anyway, can you stand looking at the sun for long period of time? Your eyes will show you that you cannot do that.

If you are so interested to proof your case, then go and do a search for medical studies/ reports.

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    If I have the funding, my hypothesis for the study is:

"Does strong lighting on infant's eyes make them shortsighted when they grow up"

Just wondering, why more kids these days are wearing specs??? Could it be due to photography is getting more affordable and popular? Just thinking aloud, dun flame me.
    if you have the fund, why waste money on these studies? go and design a baby safe flash light, you can be rich in no time, cos for my twenty years in photography business, I never come across of this thing, I'm sure many parents will thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    The advice from the PD and rental companies for sunning and the use of the Billibed is to cover the eyes during the period.

You don't know whether your ancestor were blinded or not. We don't keep track of such things. Anyway, can you stand looking at the sun for long period of time? Your eyes will show you that you cannot do that.

If you are so interested to proof your case, then go and do a search for medical studies/ reports.
    Well, why need to look at the sun for a long time , I was comparing the flash and the sun, where flash only last a few milisecond only.

I am not so keen to proof my case through research, but just state what I know and common logic. I only think this flash and baby eyes thing will finally become a urban myth....

Don't worry, I have no intention of using flash to take photo of your kids.

Before I can design to claim that it will not harm, I must 1st proof that the existing thingy harms mah... Also, if I duno what element of bright and the way it harms the eye, how to design something to remove the harmful effect?

Anyway, just a tot....yet to be proof in either case...so....

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    if you have the fund, why waste money on these studies? go and design a baby safe flash light, you can be rich in no time, cos for my twenty years in photography business, I never come across of this thing, I'm sure many parents will thank you for that.

Cool man Why get personal? Its just a discussion.

Well, why need to look at the sun for a long time , I was comparing the flash and the sun, where flash only last a few milisecond only.

I am not so keen to proof my case through research, but just state what I know and common logic. I only think this flash and baby eyes thing will finally become a urban myth....

hahhahahah, sun light is stronger or flash is stronger??
    on a sunny day, we can get espouse of f16, that is after the sun light have already travel 93,000,000 Miles.

anyway, let drop this subject, I'm out of here.

Yeah admin, maybe we stop this thread here. This is suppose to be a discussion and a happy occassion for me...... lets not take all this out of proportion.

LOCK UP MAN!! Cheers everyone and early wishes for a good weekends!!!

Anyone got car seats to seat new born, please let me know. Willing to take over........ at a price of course..... cheers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234