Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79

Thread: Lens for shooting Babies

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Lens for shooting Babies

    My wife just gave birth to a set of twins..... would like to shoot some nice photos. Please advise what lens would be appropriate to buy eh? Will probably be shooting mainly at home.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    My wife just gave birth to a set of twins..... would like to shoot some nice photos. Please advise what lens would be appropriate to buy eh? Will probably be shooting mainly at home.
    Try a fast lens. Remember that the babies eyes are not capable of dealing with strong light yet, as such shoot without flash for the first 6 months...

    If you're using Nikon, consider the 50 f1.8 or f.14, 35 f2, etc....

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Try a fast lens. Remember that the babies eyes are not capable of dealing with strong light yet, as such shoot without flash for the first 6 months...

    If you're using Nikon, consider the 50 f1.8 or f.14, 35 f2, etc....
    Thanks for the reply bro.......... whats the price for a brand new Nikon 50 f1.8??

  4. #4
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Thanks for the reply bro.......... whats the price for a brand new Nikon 50 f1.8??
    cheap...

    $170 - $180

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    cheap...

    $170 - $180
    Will the pics come out good? Is there any better lens that will provide sharper pics? The twins are actually still in Special Care in KK, sometimes abit dark and light is abit low. Appreciate your advise bro!! Cheers!

  6. #6
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Will the pics come out good? Is there any better lens that will provide sharper pics? The twins are actually still in Special Care in KK, sometimes abit dark and light is abit low. Appreciate your advise bro!! Cheers!
    It's sharp enough with decent lighting... I prefer to use avail light from the window in such cases...

    I took some shots but as they are of my fren's baby, I'm not gonna post those pics. As mentioned, if you need a larger aperture, there is a 50mm f1.4, but it ain't cheap at abt $450...


  7. #7
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    I prefer the AF 50mm f/1.4D. It is a very under-rated lens -- the fact that it offers 2/3 more of a stop while being priced almost 3X !!!

    For indoors, it's a poor man's AF 85mm f/1.4D // AF 85mm f/1.8D.

    Generally, or at least for me, I don't want pics of woman or babies too sharp. An f-stop of f/2 - f/4, available light, with steady hands and your babies will be proud of you when they grows up.

    By the way, congratulations and wish them the very best of health!


    Best regards,
    yy

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S View Post
    I prefer the AF 50mm f/1.4D. It is a very under-rated lens -- the fact that it offers 2/3 more of a stop while being priced almost 3X !!!

    For indoors, it's a poor man's AF 85mm f/1.4D // AF 85mm f/1.8D.

    Generally, or at least for me, I don't want pics of woman or babies too sharp. An f-stop of f/2 - f/4, available light, with steady hands and your babies will be proud of you when they grows up.

    By the way, congratulations and wish them the very best of health!


    Best regards,
    yy
    Thanks bro. Babies are still in KK and doing well, can't wait for them to come home. Miss them every night man.

    From your view above, does it means if I can get the AF 85mm f/1.8D, it will be better? Afterall, it will also come in handy with taking potrait pics. Appreciate your advise.

  9. #9
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Both the 85mm & 50mm focal length have their own characteristics which I'm sure you are already aware.

    If space is a premium, a 50mm would be more ideal. Not that you can't capture your twins with the 85mm; just that you need a little more breathing space in between for full body shots... come to think of it, they'll still babies so it should be easy.

    Of course, as a potrait lens, either of the 85mm would be better.

    If you need something now and have the resources to upgrade later, buy the AF 50mm f/1.8D first... and the AF 85mm f/1.4D (or faster / better lens) later.

    If you can only spare one lens, buy the slower 85mm equivalent.

    Note that there are also the possibility of zooms.

    May your whole family be re-united soon!

    P.S. I'm speaking from a Nikon perspective -- I'm not sure about others but I think it holds.



    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Thanks bro. Babies are still in KK and doing well, can't wait for them to come home. Miss them every night man.

    From your view above, does it means if I can get the AF 85mm f/1.8D, it will be better? Afterall, it will also come in handy with taking potrait pics. Appreciate your advise.
    Last edited by yyD70S; 16th March 2007 at 07:34 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by yyD70S View Post
    Both the 85mm & 50mm focal length have their own characteristics which I'm sure you are already aware.

    If space is a premium, a 50mm would be more ideal. Not that you can't capture your twins with the 85mm; just that you need a little more breathing space in between for full body shots... come to think of it, they'll still babies so it should be easy.

    Of course, as a potrait lens, either of the 85mm would be better.

    If you need something now and have the resources to upgrade later, buy the AF 50mm f/1.8D first... and the AF 85mm f/1.4D (or faster / better lens) later.

    If you can only spare one lens, buy the slower 85mm equivalent.

    Note that there are also the possibility of zooms.

    May your whole family be re-united soon!

    P.S. I'm speaking from a Nikon perspective -- I'm not sure about others but I think it holds.

    Noted bro, will go for the 50mm and upgrade to 85mm 1.4 at a later stage. Thanks for your kind word and advice, cheers!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    First of all, Congratulations to yr newborns. Nothing is more precious than capturing those wonderful moments. Don,t waste any more time, get it tomorrow and take photographs of them asap.

    I would recomend the 50mm 1.4, very sharp lens, good bokeh and perform excellent in low light conditions.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Chan View Post
    First of all, Congratulations to yr newborns. Nothing is more precious than capturing those wonderful moments. Don,t waste any more time, get it tomorrow and take photographs of them asap.

    I would recomend the 50mm 1.4, very sharp lens, good bokeh and perform excellent in low light conditions.
    Thanks bro!! I already gotten the 50mm f/1.8d this morning....hehhe.... will be taking some shots in the afternoon or evening....... cheers!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    lens for babies... hmm... = lensbaby?

    ya, i think a 50mm f1.8 is good, can afford abit more, the 50mm f1.4 is more delicious, cost is almost double, but the quality of pictures is also multiplied... bokeh, color contrast etc...

    anyway, congrats! so 2 boy or 2 girl, or 1 boy 1 girl?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    lens for babies... hmm... = lensbaby?

    ya, i think a 50mm f1.8 is good, can afford abit more, the 50mm f1.4 is more delicious, cost is almost double, but the quality of pictures is also multiplied... bokeh, color contrast etc...

    anyway, congrats! so 2 boy or 2 girl, or 1 boy 1 girl?

    2 gals!! And I already have a gal (5yrs)..... so its POWER PUFF team!! I mati liao.... the big one play horse game with me everynight........ when the next 2 come..... I think they going to break my back!!!

    Yeah, maybe will try the 50mm f1.4 in future.... if I get somemore bonus in April'07...hehhe...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    2 gals!! And I already have a gal (5yrs)..... so its POWER PUFF team!! I mati liao.... the big one play horse game with me everynight........ when the next 2 come..... I think they going to break my back!!!

    Yeah, maybe will try the 50mm f1.4 in future.... if I get somemore bonus in April'07...hehhe...
    hahaha... sound like fun... next time u say u the banana boat lah, just lie down on a water bed or something, then let them crawl all over u lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    lens for babies... hmm... = lensbaby?

    ya, i think a 50mm f1.8 is good, can afford abit more, the 50mm f1.4 is more delicious, cost is almost double, but the quality of pictures is also multiplied... bokeh, color contrast etc...

    anyway, congrats! so 2 boy or 2 girl, or 1 boy 1 girl?
    Actually I thnk the lensbaby will be a good lens to try some interesting shot of babies.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  17. #17

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    [quote=Del_CtrlnoAlt;2919987]

    ya, i think a 50mm f1.8 is good, can afford abit more, the 50mm f1.4 is more delicious, cost is almost doublequote]


    Only double?

    anyway for babies and on ur 1.5X body, 50mm is good enough.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    can i know Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF good or not? compare to Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF ..?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by elvintay View Post
    can i know Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF good or not? compare to Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF ..?

    I have canon/nikon 50/85 f1.8..

    I prefer nikon 50 to canon 50

    but much prefer canon 85 to canon 85..

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Lens for shooting Babies

    Quote Originally Posted by XC Pictorial View Post
    I have canon/nikon 50/85 f1.8..

    I prefer nikon 50 to canon 50

    but much prefer canon 85 to canon 85..
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •