Thread: Europe Trip from May to June

Default Europe Trip from May to June

Harlow,

I am planning to go to europe for 33days, Major Cities that i will touch is Paris, London, Amsterdam, Brussels, Lucern, Lyon.

Just wonder if any could give mi any advice on photography tips over there. Will my Olympus C3000Z survive? I only have two 128 mb SM card.... enuff?

Any nice photography site that i cannot miss?

Also may need advice on cheap accomodation and makan from you guys.....

Hey Burnover,

I too will be in europe in May. Paris, London, Switzerland (Lucern, Zurich, Interlaken etc) and Italy.

Yes, your c3000Z will survive, but 2X128MB is certainly not enough. Invest in an image tank/X-drive, get some spare rechargeables and a good fast charger.

Accoms really depends on who you're travelling with and your budget. Are you the kind who die die need attached bathrooms or are you those who can easily sleep under the bridge?

check this out: http://www.jimtardio.com/index.html

rOCh

book your air tics?

There should be a NATAS fair soon... there may be promotions on Air Tics prices...

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey Roch thanx man,

Hmm.... i was looking for safe accomodation.... private bath room no need lah.... just wanted to let my gf feel secure..... looking for hostel type of accomodation.=)

2x 128 not enuff..... eerr.... haha...

any where other then lucern is good for phototaking? in swiss??

bought the tix already from the qantas promotion..... =)

paris only 720.... quite cheap hor....

May be NATA fair can kapo some cheap deals....

No way it will be sufficient.

If u can, bring a laptop to delete/edit/store your pics.

mydotcom
    Guests

If you have any chance to stay in any good hotels there, u can save on your laptop and bring just your USB cable and maybe the CD and use the hotel's computer with web access to upload ur pics to the web.

highly recommend priceline.com.sg for airticket.
    got a ticket to hk for 262 including tax...on UA ^_^
    DSLR newbie: 400D + Tamron 18-200mm + 50mm F1.8 (i simply love it!)
    Canon G2

Default Re: Europe Trip from May to June

Spent 7 weeks in Europe early last year - planning another 8 week later this year.

Originally posted by Burnover
    Harlow,

I am planning to go to europe for 33days, Major Cities that i will touch is Paris, London, Amsterdam, Brussels, Lucern, Lyon.
    Don't bother with The Louvre unless you are going to spend an entire day there. Any thing less doesn't do it justice.
    Don't bother going into the Centre Pompidou unless you are into modern art by obscure artists. The outside is worth a look :-)

Lyon has some very good Roman ruins. Get the Funicular up the hill and walk down through the ruins :-)

Just wonder if any could give mi any advice on photography tips over there. Will my Olympus C3000Z survive? I only have two 128 mb SM card.... enuff?

I took over 600 digital shots with an aging Kodak DC200 and 5 rolls of film. I also unloaded my 2 CF cards into a friends laptop (he was living in Lieden, Holland) half way through the trip.
    I would suggest 256Mb is not enough.

Any nice photography site that i cannot miss?

No shortage of great photo oportunities if you open your eyes. So much history. So many great old churches.

Also may need advice on cheap accomodation
    and makan from you guys.....
    We mostly stay in YHA hostels.

The main YHA hostel in London at Rotherhithe was very nice. A bit of a way out of the 'centre' but easly reachable via the underground. We arrived jetlaged at 9am. The manager let us have a room right away and gave us breakfast - even though we had not stayed that night. This was great - we immediatly went to sleep for the day :-)

The main Paris YHA is a badly run wreck of a place, although we did get a room together and it was secure. The staff were obnoxious and didn't care.

The YHA in Lyon was freshly refurbished and had a great view of the city. Unlike Paris, the staff here actually cared... (Tip - get the Funicular to the mid point station and walk DOWN the hill to the Hostel :-)

The only hostel we didn't get our own room was Dover in England and I suspect that was because we were there at the same time as an Australian junior hocky team and they booked out all the small rooms before us :-)

Originally posted by digi~ET
    highly recommend priceline.com.sg for airticket.
    got a ticket to hk for 262 including tax...on UA ^_^
    wah thats super super cheap... on what airlines??

wonder priceline will give such a good price for europe routes....

Default Re: Re: Europe Trip from May to June

Originally posted by matthew

We mostly stay in YHA hostels.

The main YHA hostel in London at Rotherhithe was very nice. A bit of a way out of the 'centre' but easly reachable via the underground. We arrived jetlaged at 9am. The manager let us have a room right away and gave us breakfast - even though we had not stayed that night. This was great - we immediatly went to sleep for the day :-)

The main Paris YHA is a badly run wreck of a place, although we did get a room together and it was secure. The staff were obnoxious and didn't care.

The YHA in Lyon was freshly refurbished and had a great view of the city. Unlike Paris, the staff here actually cared... (Tip - get the Funicular to the mid point station and walk DOWN the hill to the Hostel :-)

The only hostel we didn't get our own room was Dover in England and I suspect that was because we were there at the same time as an Australian junior hocky team and they booked out all the small rooms before us :-) [/B]
    Ehy thanks alot for your info man.... really it helps alot!!! yeah!!
    Didn't know YHA paris was so bad in service.....

Originally posted by Burnover
    wah thats super super cheap... on what airlines??

wonder priceline will give such a good price for europe routes....

on United Airline. the time was good too.......for me lah, morning 6++am flight there and 8++pm flight back^^
    need to take cab to n fro from airport but got more time to enjoy there^^

but........i think also luck lah, cos priceline u name ur price but cannot choose time, n flight.......
    anyway, when u name ur price, ignore the price guide they give......they always say ur price too low^^
    Canon G2

they always say ur price too low^^
    Wah then how to get low prices haha..... that mean just whack and dun care the price guides they give huh....

on United Airline. the time was good too.......for me lah, morning 6++am flight there and 8++pm flight back^^
    need to take cab to n fro from airport but got more time to enjoy there^^

but........i think also luck lah, cos priceline u name ur price but cannot choose time, n flight.......
    anyway, when u name ur price, ignore the price guide they give......they always say ur price too low^^
    When you make an offer, must you accept the response? I never dared to put up my price as it looks like as if I am obliged to accept whatever comes my way,

yes, when u make an offer, if the price is accepted, they will immediately booked the ticket for u, no matter what flight / time is it, u cannot cancel it.....unless u dun want ur $$.
    cannot transfer also. another thing is if u fly to e.g taipei, u have to fly back from taipei and not kao siong.....

but so far......i think quite ok lah...me n my friend are still happy with it ^^
    anyway.....i tried once only, my friend tried few times lah.

the price u name......of course u have to feel comfortable with it...i always compare to the available cheapest ticket i can get from agency and minus 30-40% .....or another way is u put a low price......then wait for them to reply [in an hour or less], then cannot then u higher ur price bit by bit^_^

ohya......i think book early also another good thing.....cos the first time i tried to book .......was quite late n couldn't get it. the second time i booked 2months in advance...........i tot i won't get it, just anyhow give it a try^^|

ohya.....forgot to say, the time i departed was peak period, christmas eve^_^
    Canon G2