Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

  1. #21

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-Page View Post
    A good lens that I use and can recommend is the Nikon 105VR, I know Sigma do a 105 not sure if its VR though ?

    Rich
    bro, im using canon lehz...btw whats VR?
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  2. #22

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    I scared I make the wrong decision lehz....my few questions havent really answer yet:

    Which lens I should go for my first macro lens? 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm? When shall I need 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm Macro Lens? Under what circumstances do I need 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm Macro Lens?
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  3. #23
    Member fv18m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of S'pore
    Posts
    410

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Bro,

    think Adrius already more, or less answered your queries. It's the subject you wanna work with, that will determine how close you can get to it...

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    I scared I make the wrong decision lehz....my few questions havent really answer yet:

    Which lens I should go for my first macro lens? 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm? When shall I need 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm Macro Lens? Under what circumstances do I need 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm Macro Lens?.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrius View Post
    It dose depend on what kind of macro you want to shoot.

    The main difference between all the lenses is working distance and secondary is perspective.

    ideally the higher the focal length - the longer the working distance, the narrower the field of view, the smaller the Depth of feild, the blurryer the backrounds come out.

    The higher focal length lenses ie 100mm and higher will allow you to with with some distance from your subject, and allso produce telephoto lens perspective, with smaller and more blurry backrounds.

    The lower focal lengths ie 50mm will work closer to the subject, and allso produce a wider lens perspective then the higher focal length lenses, with wider backrounds and less backround blurr then the telephotos.

    Macros at around 100mm or higher are usally perfered for shooting insects, bugs and butterflies, due to the longer working distance of these lenses you are less likely to disturb your subject.

    Macros below 100mm are usally prefered for shooting products and flowers. and anything you can get close to.




    Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8*, is not a macro lens, its use is mainly in archectual photography, it removes common lens distortions, to produce natural perspective, it can allso be used for other creative purposes.
    The DIFFERENCE is not in the "Cue", it is in the SKILLS...

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    I scared I make the wrong decision lehz....my few questions havent really answer yet:

    Which lens I should go for my first macro lens? 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm? When shall I need 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm Macro Lens? Under what circumstances do I need 50mm, 70 or 90 or 100mm Macro Lens?
    some good info here... http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/Use...d5087acd06.jpg

  5. #25

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    but for you guys which length I should go to? Any sites can see the difference between 50, 70, 90mm and 105mm Macro pictures?
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    but for you guys which length I should go to? Any sites can see the difference between 50, 70, 90mm and 105mm Macro pictures?
    haiz... can't you listen? it depends on what YOU will using it to shoot... not us...

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    hmmz.. check out this month's practical photography magazine... it has a feature on macro shooting and compares some lenses... according to that... the tamron 90mm, canon 100mm and nikon 105mm do very well... with the nikon getting tester's choice and tamron getting "best buy"

    i would suggest around a 100mm lens.. not to short that u have to go really close... but not too long either, unless u're doing really small things like insects...
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

  8. #28

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelfin View Post
    hmmz.. check out this month's practical photography magazine... it has a feature on macro shooting and compares some lenses... according to that... the tamron 90mm, canon 100mm and nikon 105mm do very well... with the nikon getting tester's choice and tamron getting "best buy"

    i would suggest around a 100mm lens.. not to short that u have to go really close... but not too long either, unless u're doing really small things like insects...
    do you think 70mm is too close to take insect or i should just go for 90mm? 70mm will be better to take flowers.
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    do you think 70mm is too close to take insect or i should just go for 90mm? 70mm will be better to take flowers.
    90mm would definitely makes life easier to get the shot and not scare off the insect...

  10. #30

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    haiz... can't you listen? it depends on what YOU will using it to shoot... not us...
    oops...sorrie. i din mean not to listen but seriously i do not want to waste my money, buy a macro lens and realised its not suitable for me and sell away as a loss to get another. I know its ME that im using it to shoot just that wondering whats the feedback on what type of macro lens you take photo when taking on fishes, flowers or insects....i will get something in between to practise my skills...and which type i love the most to take macro and later on i will buy the specialised lens for that purpose
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    oops...sorrie. i din mean not to listen but seriously i do not want to waste my money, buy a macro lens and realised its not suitable for me and sell away as a loss to get another. I know its ME that im using it to shoot just that wondering whats the feedback on what type of macro lens you take photo when taking on fishes, flowers or insects....i will get something in between to practise my skills...and which type i love the most to take macro and later on i will buy the specialised lens for that purpose
    flower/insects... settle for something around 100mm... if budget ain't that tight, sigma 150mm is pretty good, can use as a tele as well.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    flower/insects... settle for something around 100mm... if budget ain't that tight, sigma 150mm is pretty good, can use as a tele as well.
    i will bring down the list to 70, 90 and 105mm macro lens to decide...150mm and 180mm too far. As I already have 1:2 macro lens...i can at the moment use that first...what about the performance of each of the lens? which is one better? which one has lesser shortcomings?
    Last edited by totoro17; 15th March 2007 at 10:47 PM.
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  13. #33

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    flower/insects... settle for something around 100mm... if budget ain't that tight, sigma 150mm is pretty good, can use as a tele as well.
    Sigma 150mm. BEST.
    :blah: D80, Sigma 18-50/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8 (HSM).

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    i will bring down the list to 70, 90 and 105mm macro lens to decide...150mm and 180mm too far. As I already have 1:2 macro lens...i can at the moment use that first...what about the performance of each of the lens? which is one better? which one has lesser shortcomings?
    working distance is pretty obvious... as for performance, they are all in a mess, all are sharp enough to be compared with the best lens out there, but with the Sigma having least CA at the expense of higher price tag...
    20cm working distance when compared to the 90 and 105 which only give you 9.5 and 12cm respectively(all at 1:1 setting)... further more it is equipped with HSM for faster focusing during normal operation (most will stay with manual focus during macro)

  15. #35

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tchern View Post
    Sigma 150mm. BEST.
    do you own this lens?

  16. #36

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    i am happy with my tokina 100mm
    better build compare to tamron

  17. #37

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    can i take macro picture from the fish tank? will they have any glass reflection? i thought i can only do it under the water...
    of course you can.

    see this:





    Just need the correct setup and you sit in front of your tank and fire away.

    First picture shot with a EF-S 60mm and the second one shot with a EF 100mm.
    Last edited by valice; 16th March 2007 at 12:50 AM.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: 50mm vs 70mm vs 90mm Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    is tokina good brand? seldom hear in this forum....how much is it?
    i am a super Tokina supporter.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  19. #39

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    of course you can.

    see this:





    Just need the correct setup and you sit in front of your tank and fire away.

    First picture shot with a EF-S 60mm and the second one shot with a EF 100mm.
    what do you mean by correct setup? what setup i must have beside the tripod, camera itself and macro lens?
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  20. #40

    Default Re: Which one I should go for Macro Lens

    The setup is a tank, a camera, a lens, a flash and a wireless transmitter (ST-E2 in the case of Canon). NO tripod. You can almost never shoot a fast moving fish with a tripod. No CPL or what-not filter needed as well. Just UV. My EF 100mm has no filter at all. Just glass and tank.
    Last edited by valice; 16th March 2007 at 11:46 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •