Thread: Problem with using Singapore Credit Card

Default Problem with using Singapore Credit Card

Hi

Recently, I ordered something from a USA website (I am not their existing customer). I received an email telling me about Singapore Credit Card.......

The United States Treasury Department has issued a list of countries that have a high rate of fraudulent activity. Singapore is listed and we cannot accept a payment originating from one of the countries on that list.

Anyone of you had this problem? (I guess if you are an existing customer with a particular online store, you would not have this problem)

Default Re: Problem with using Singapore Credit Card

nothing new.....

some seller in ebay even stated.. don't ship to Singapore..

Wow!! so bad ah! But when travelling I never have problem of problem using Singapore credit card lah.

Quote Originally Posted by therat View Post
    nothing new.....

some seller in ebay even stated.. don't ship to Singapore..
    Not interested about ebay.............I am interested to know about other reputable online store that has the same policy.

Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68 View Post
    Hi

Recently, I ordered something from a USA website (I am not their existing customer). I received an email telling me about Singapore Credit Card.......

The United States Treasury Department has issued a list of countries that have a high rate of fraudulent activity. Singapore is listed and we cannot accept a payment originating from one of the countries on that list.

Anyone of you had this problem? (I guess if you are an existing customer with a particular online store, you would not have this problem)
    These companies in US just associate Singapore with Malaysia & Indonesia... countries which they do not accept order from & ship to. No choice, buy elsewhere loh.
    Last edited by wrx_sti_22b; 15th March 2007 at 08:51 AM.

They just failed to realised that their credit card fraud is even higher than ours. Pot calling kettle black...

What to do? We happened to be in between M'sia and Indo so we kena also lor.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    These companies in US just associate Singapore with Malaysia & Indonesia... countries which they do not accept order from & ship to. No choice, buy elsewhere loh.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68 View Post
    Hi

Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Gentlemen, then don't buy from the US, or anywhere that do not accept Singapore based credit card. But don't be fooled that the warning against Singapore credit card is a snafu on the part of someone. Ok, if left to the US Treasury Department, it may infact be a sanfu, but credit card companies? Visa, MC and Amex, the big 3, the data they have on who bought, where it's shipped, where the credit card originated from,l where the transaction originated from, all the information is at their finger tip.

I have had problems with having goods bought on line and shipped to Singapore. I tried it both with credit cards issued from Singapore and from the US. Same thing, they just do not ship to Singapore. I have no idea about Malaysia. Hong Kong have similar problems but not as pervasive. I asked a b-school buddy who is with Visa HQ. He told me that the fraud rate in SE Asia, Singapore included, is demonstratively higher. Not as high as China, but higher than Hong Kong. So, I ship everything to my parents in the US, and they ship them to me. Price to pay to live on this island paradise!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Perhaps you wanna consider to use the service of vConciege under SingPost to help you.

Just google for for info.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    Perhaps you wanna consider to use the service of vConciege under SingPost to help you.

Just google for for info.
    At the end of the day, do you want the government to know everything you had bought from oversea? If you don't care, then use it.

it's hard enough now to get assurance of personal privacy from the credit card companies. it is impossible if the government is involved.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

well, good and not good to hear all this......
    Good, at least I know it is true and not the online shop making things difficult. No good, means Singapore isn't as credible as we would to believe, may be its got to do with all the bank pushing free card to any and everyone.

Surprise that MAS isn't doing anything about this reputation, go slap those bank a bit to tighten up on fraudulent credit card..........another point of view is that, Singapore is obviously still not on the good book of the US of A, probably some trade issues, so they are just making things difficult for Singapore.

btw, just to let you know. continential airlines do not accept singapore credit cards. i had this problem when booking tickets from their website.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    btw, just to let you know. continential airlines do not accept singapore credit cards. i had this problem when booking tickets from their website.
    wah so young got CC liao...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    wah so young got CC liao...
    aiyah. only got it for my us trip only lah. only used once to book air ticket online where i found out this problem.

Screw vPost. Ever since I used ComGateway, I never used vPost ever again. Their service is fast, their courier is a private one, not under Singpost, plus their service is EXCELLENT. Their charges are much lower (Although their + + + looks very intimidating).

The only catch? You need a DBS/POSB credit card if you do not want to use their concierge service.