Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is external flash really necessary?

Default Re: Is external flash really necessary?

is it better to use original external flash or is it better to use third party..... orginal veri de ex

Quote Originally Posted by happyepower View Post
    is it better to use original external flash or is it better to use third party..... orginal veri de ex
    Originals are recommended but u may like to try 3rd party ones like Metz.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

which is the best brand for 3rd party external flash?

Metz!
    Better than originals...

Agree for the best brand. Quality wise not always better than originals.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

flash is very important for outdoor shots of people. when you need to capture the ambient and you have ppl in shadow area ( like those who wear baseball caps, make sense cos its hot) then flash will really help to brighten those shadow area.

i just came back from yunan china. as we were traveling in a big group, had to shot even during hot afternoon sun, cant choose timing. my flashgun was mounted all the time and used for alot of shots to brighten shadow area.

most of the ppl w the trip always ask why use flash in broad day light?

for me, i tend to use flash outdoor and avoid flash indoors by using a wider aperture, unless e indoor area is small enough to be brighten up w bounce flash.

flash used.

flash is ALWAYS useful! except the tiny direct flash that pops out on hte camera...
    Last edited by surge; 18th March 2007 at 08:04 PM.

I guess with that said flash is rather essential !!! so anyone knows where to get their hands on "grey sets" ??

Quote Originally Posted by Qingkai View Post
    I guess with that said flash is rather essential !!! so anyone knows where to get their hands on "grey sets" ??
    One of the recent posts made found out that flashes either fail during their warranty period else it will last well for quite a few years.

Is it worth the risk to get a GREY set in such circumstances??

You think about it...

can recommend one METZ flash for D80?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    One of the recent posts made found out that flashes either fail during their warranty period else it will last well for quite a few years.

Is it worth the risk to get a GREY set in such circumstances??

You think about it...
    My previous 420EX was a grey set and has ot given me any problems for over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    My previous 420EX was a grey set and has ot given me any problems for over a year.
    Remember my statement.. either or... worth the risk or not, up to you...

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Remember my statement.. either or... worth the risk or not, up to you...
    Of cos it's either grey or not for a new set. Flash systems are safe to be bought grey.

can recommend one METZ flash for D80?
    You need iTTL for D80.
    Go to http://www.metx.de OR http://www.metzflash.co.uk, look for those models that support iTTL function.

Note: If you choose 54MZ4i with a Nikon SCA adaptor, it will cost more than a SB800.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    I have just bought my first SLR and lens a few months back. As my friend is going to HK, I am thinking if I should get a flash. But as I don't have that much money to burn atm and I still need to get a tripod, I am wondering if a flash is really important for me. I know that a flash is important if you're taking indoor or portrait shots but I'm not really into those. I am keen in macro though and flash might be important for that? Is flash a necessity for macro? In what kinds of situations or photography would a flash be necessary for good shots? Thanks for your advice.
    Actually, if you do not have extra money above your monthly/yearly budget, then you shouldn't be spending it on hobbies, esp photography. Spend on what is neccessary. If you are on a budget, then just make do with your current set-up, and then save up. If you have extra, then buy what you need most.

Having said that, you yourself will know if you need flash. It is an external light source for photography. So if you find that you lack other sources of light, you might consider investing in flash as an option. Of course, some people just prefer natural light. To me, I use flash quite often in portrait, fill-in, indoors, etc. Like others say, you won't miss it if you don't need it, and its essential in some situations.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by KorgT3 View Post
    You need iTTL for D80.
    Go to http://www.metx.de OR http://www.metzflash.co.uk, look for those models that support iTTL function.

Note: If you choose 54MZ4i with a Nikon SCA adaptor, it will cost more than a SB800.

Cheers.
    Thanks.. will look into it.. tt day went down to Cp to see SB800 like veri de ....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    .... I am keen in macro though and flash might be important for that? Is flash a necessity for macro? In what kinds of situations or photography would a flash be necessary for good shots? Thanks for your advice.
    Macro, use of flash is really dependent on your conditions, style and what you wish to achieve. Appended links show a collection of macros, for 60-70% which flash was not used. For those where flash was fired, often the tiny pop-up flash on your camera can be enough.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=251366
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=209507

If you are shooting urban wildlife, flash is almost a strict no-no - you won't want to hurt those kitties' eyes, esp at night.

For other genres of photography, it all depends. So you may want to hold off any purchase and get to know yourself, what you like, and how you shoot first. After that, you can start thinking about those 430/550/580EXs/Metz/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Actually, if you do not have extra money above your monthly/yearly budget, then you shouldn't be spending it on hobbies, esp photography. Spend on what is neccessary. If you are on a budget, then just make do with your current set-up, and then save up. If you have extra, then buy what you need most.
    Wow... u almost sound as if u're lecturing me. No hard feelings though.
    No, the issue is not that I don't have extra money. Its just that as a new dSLR owner, there are a bunch of things to get to have a system. Therefore, I am trying to prioritise what I should get first, i.e. what are the most necessary.

Sometimes, its not as straight-forward as it seems. I don't feel the need for the flash now but it could be because I don't have one, so i push up ISO and use the widest aperture my lens will allow me when there is insufficient light. I can still get the shot ok but perhaps it would be a better shot with flash? There's also this thing about personal preference. I don't really like to mount a big flash on my camera, making it heavier and clunkier. And I don't like to attract attention with a 'pro-looking' camera. But a flash could really be a necessity sometimes? Or improve the quality of my photos? At the very least, I'll have more creative possibilities with a flash.

Basically, i'm unsure about how important a flash is and for what types of photography would it be very important. Therefore, I started this thread to find out. And thanks to the teachings of many seniors here, I am much more enlightened now. I will probably put off the flash till later.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you can also buy a 5500K (colour temp) video light instead
    May I know where to buy, which brand and type prefer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12