Thread: filters & adapters

Question filters & adapters

Hi all, i am looking for a filter to protect my DC lens, but do not know which type to get? as for the adapters, what is the difference between a 46mm, 52mm or a 55mm adapter? and also what are the basic filters one should get? thanks in advance!

Default Re: filters & adapters

Originally posted by filofari
    Hi all, i am looking for a filter to protect my DC lens, but do not know which type to get? as for the adapters, what is the difference between a 46mm, 52mm or a 55mm adapter? and also what are the basic filters one should get? thanks in advance!
    46, 52 or 55mm, its just the size. Get one that will fit your lens.
    For protection a UV filter will do.

which type of filter size is more common?

what type of lens is it? if it is a retracting lens then you will need to get a adapter for it.

think it is the CP5000? then you will need to get a lens adapter that fits the lens thread of the camera, then a filter that fits onto the adapter.

may even need a lens cap for the filter. good news, is that you will protect your lens well.

a normal UV filter will do for the adapter.

Default adapter?

yes its a retractable lens, hmm does that meant hat i have to remove the adapter everytime i off my DC? cos the lens retract all the way in.

xlurker
    Guests

If you're talking about the coolpix 5000, then you'll need the UR-E5 adapter. This adapter was meant for the WC-E68 wide angle converter, but you can use the UR-E5 by itself to have filters attached to the camera.

The filter thread of the UR-E5 is 46mm, so for any other sizes(52mm, 55mm, etc) you'll need a step-up ring as well. And most probably u'll need a lens cap too. I didn't try to see whether the provided lens cap can fit the UR-E5 nicely as i'm using 52mm filters.

You can leave the adapter permanently attached to the CP5000, except that it'll make the camera a whole lot bulkier. I do that with mine, since it prevents the lens from accidental knocking when the camera starts up.

Hope that helps.

Deregistered

Default Re: adapter?

yes its a retractable lens, hmm does that meant hat i have to remove the adapter everytime i off my DC? cos the lens retract all the way in.
    no. the conversion lens adapter is meant to hold the filter at a distance just a little extra further away from touching the lens when in use. when you turn it off, the retractable lens will still be able to retract as normal. check your user manual - it's there for a purpose...

Default Re: adapter?

yep, just keep the thing on, together with a filter and a lenscap. This will protect your lens against many things, notably, dust, scratches, and knocks. this also mean getting a bigger bag, but it is well worth it, because any repair or servicing with the lens is never cheap.

Thanks for all your advice!

I have finally bought the filters and adapter. I've bought a Hoya UV filter 52mm, Hoya Circular Polariser 52mm, Hoya Close-up +4 52mm, adapter 46mm-52mm, nikon tripod, lowepro topload zoom mini and lens cap for $125. Hmm is it a good deal?
    Last edited by filofari; 21st March 2003 at 02:34 PM.