Thread: Travel: Kit lens or standard lens?

Default Travel: Kit lens or standard lens?

Hi guys... am new here. I have recently gotten myself a EOS 400D with a a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II USM. Been trying out with it. Currently thinking of going travelling in May... would it be better if I bring along this kit zoom lens, or get a standard 50mm f/1.8 one? for general photo taking, like scenery and people...

any advice about a standard lens as a travel lens would be great too. thanks!

Default Re: Travel: Kit lens or standard lens?

If you purpose is for general phototaking including people and scenery, my advise... take both!

50mm prime alone will not be sufficient in taking landscape shots but rather it more suited for portraiture on a 1.6. For landscape, the kit lens will be able to cover that range and at the same time cover the 50mm as well. Only prob is you will not be able to achieve the f1.8 bokeh...

Happy shooting!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

thanks for the advice... my main concern is actually the smaller max aperture of the kit lens. under low lighting (e.g in evening and night) the shots might not be very good.

budget permitting, i'll have gotten a much better zoom lens...but thats definitely out of the picture for the moment

ur kit lens is enough

Quote Originally Posted by LaoBuSiDe View Post
    thanks for the advice... my main concern is actually the smaller max aperture of the kit lens. under low lighting (e.g in evening and night) the shots might not be very good.

budget permitting, i'll have gotten a much better zoom lens...but thats definitely out of the picture for the moment
    Many ways to counteract low lights. Boost up your ISO, use a tripod, use your built in flash or get an external flash!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Recommend to bring EOS 400D, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II USM and a light tripod like SLIK sprint pro. Put 1st 2 items in a small camera bag and put it in a normal backpack together with your tripod.
    Last edited by megaweb; 13th March 2007 at 10:11 AM.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

I agree with megaweb advise and also bring 50mm F/1.8. A tripod will handle most low light situation. Go Esplanade and test it out.
    "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

Bring your kit lens & tripod will be sufficient. A longer zoom lens and ultra wide angle may be useful too. Do remember to bring lots of memory cards or an external hard disk and batteries.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

bring both.... coz the kit lens won't do the job in low light....

but if u have the moolah... try getting a cheap walkaround like the sigma 24-70 or tamron 28-75... they're f/2.8 so will do much better as a general lens... but they're not really the best for wide landscapes so that's where ur kit lens comes in...

if not.. just use the kit lens and the 50mm and enjoy ur holiday!
    Canon EOS 30D w/ grip 580EX, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S 10-22mm
    :bsmilie:

I would bring the kit zoom, and get another longer zoom.
    Olympus E-500 c/w dual kit lenses
    Olympus C-730 Ultra Zoom

bring both because you wont know what to expect
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

Suggest you bring both..

Though the kit lens is quite useful, sometimes it just ain't fast enuff ..
    Anyway the 50mm/1.8 isn't THAT big, shouldn't take up too much space in your bag..

Just my say.. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by LaoBuSiDe View Post
    Hi guys... am new here. I have recently gotten myself a EOS 400D with a a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II USM. Been trying out with it. Currently thinking of going travelling in May... would it be better if I bring along this kit zoom lens, or get a standard 50mm f/1.8 one? for general photo taking, like scenery and people...

any advice about a standard lens as a travel lens would be great too. thanks!
    Standard lens was actually an old term for kit lens, because the lens came standard with the bodies. This was usually 50mm normal lens because it was the cheapest to make. However, 50mm may be normal for film, it is considered too long for cropped size digital sensors. There is nothing magical about this lens because it's neither 'here' nor 'there' for film. However, this lens has become a cheap portrait lens because it is somewhat a medium tele when used with a cropped sensor. Nowadays, the 'standard' lens are usually zooms which covers wide to medium tele and known as kit lens because too many people interchangeably use standard lens and normal lens to mean 50mm.

For travel, you would want something versatile, so the kit lens is good but there's no harm bringing the 50mm since it doesn't take up much space and it may come in handy in lowlight situations.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 14th March 2007 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Standard lens was actually an old term for kit lens, because the lens came standard with the bodies. This was usually 50mm normal lens because it was the cheapest to make.
    Hmm.. I always thought that 50mm lens was 'standard lens' because it's the closest to the perceived focal length of the human eye, aka: 50mm mimics x1 magnification..

Maybe I'm wrong, but can some guru confirm..? Danke

just my say..

Default Travel: Kit lens or standard lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    Hmm.. I always thought that 50mm lens was 'standard lens' because it's the closest to the perceived focal length of the human eye, aka: 50mm mimics x1 magnification. Maybe I'm wrong, but can some guru confirm? Danke. just my say..
    You're spot on abt the field of view on a 50mm lens. Do note that only applies to a 50mm lens on a film body; on a DSLR the 50mm field of view gets cropped by the focal length multiplier, e.g. 1.5x, so it becomes a 75mm. However the lens still remains a 50mm (on a DSLR) but the field of view you see in the viewfinder is that of a 75mm.

I guess in the current sense, standard lens would refer to the kit lens sold with entry-level DSLRs, i.e. the Canon 350D/400D, Nikon D70/D70s

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    Hmm.. I always thought that 50mm lens was 'standard lens' because it's the closest to the perceived focal length of the human eye, aka: 50mm mimics x1 magnification..

Maybe I'm wrong, but can some guru confirm..? Danke

just my say..
    You're referring to 'normal' because the angle of view is normal, like how your eye would see it.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th March 2007 at 04:59 PM.

During my travel, 50/85f1.8 is quite a must when i travel with friends/family..

It really allows me to take nice snapshots of my other half and the kids, friends etc

Just to shoot scenery, the kit lens is fine.