Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post
    Well, we all pay taxes at one stage or another, and that goes out to paying the civil servants. So, better make sure they work for it.

Frankly speaking, THAT is a very effective way of restricting the freedom of the people. And it is done by controlling the places where people can or cannot go.
    Are u saying that Civil Servants don't pay taxes, don't have to pay bills, don't have to eat-drink-shit-piss-sleep-marry-screw and the existence of a Civil Servant comes from the private sector?

Civil Servants are also human beings, they breathe air, they work for a pay, they need to pay bills, they pay taxes as well, they need to eat-drink-shit-piss-sleep-marry-screw. So if the logic goes that taxpayers pay for the Civil Servants salary, are Civil Servants effectively working for their own pay since they pay taxes as well?

U know what? Damn... I love that logic of urs. "We pay taxes to keep the Civil Service alive, so they better work for it."

Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post
    It's ok lah...you can hate me the next time if you become one ...

I always believe in choices, and the freedom to choose. If people wants to become civil servants, then they have to decide whether it's just feeding the family or are they doing the right choice. It's especially so when they are in the position of power and every decision that they make affects the nation in one way or another.

I really have no issues with wages of civil servants as long as they are deserving. The private sector has to work even harder so that someone can pay the civil servants...

Will get back on the viabilities of ferries later...
    Viability of ferries? Someone plz tell me how big the Straits of Singapore is and how jammed our waterways are.

The map of Singapore may seem like we've got tons of space to spare, but our land, water & air space are miniscular. Between reclaimation to create more living space which would in turn reduce the already narrow waterway size (there are different depths in the Singapore Straits which only certain boats are allowed to pass and some danger zones marked where ships have to slow down/avoid, etc) what's next?

Air transport? Take 3hrs to travel from Tuas Airport to Changi Airport? Ask if there are any fighter pilots on the house here, the entire Singapore can easily be crossed within 10 to 15min on continuous afterburner. Fighter planes that take off, have to start turning less than 30secs after takeoff to avoid crossing INTO Malaysian Airspace.

Yes, that's the reality. Its worse than playing Simcity my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Got. Destroy all our roads. Everyone must now walk.

Works in tandem with our healthy lifestyle campaigns. I will support fully, because the work day will be shorter, since more allowance will be given for time to travel to work on foot.
    Work day shorter? My friend, dun sabo me. It already takes 1hr to get from home to my office on a fine day (double that if its rainy).

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    just to add.. when annoucing the lowering of fares between 3 and 8%, they have also proposed to upgrade the system:

- 32 new trains and 8 Garib Raths planned

- Railway tickets to be sold at ATMs and petrol pumps

- Nationwide railway call centre number '139' for railway enquiries and information

- More coaches in popular trains

- CCTVs and video cameras to be installed at select stations

The Railways used to make losses but now they are one of the highest profit makers in the public sector companies. This is the money they plan to use along with the budget allocated every year.
    Come visit my Flickr :)

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Work day shorter? My friend, dun sabo me. It already takes 1hr to get from home to my office on a fine day (double that if its rainy).
    Good!

So now your boss will have to reduce your workday to 12-3 pm (no lunch, but I'm sure it's fine). =D Song bo. Increase your total hourly rate leh!

Good!

So now your boss will have to reduce your workday to 12-3 pm (no lunch, but I'm sure it's fine). =D Song bo. Increase your total hourly rate leh!
    My hourly rate dun go up, just as I don't get paid OT and have a damned low pay.

something I cannot comprehend..
    India's rail system has improved vastly over the years and yet.. they can afford to drop their fares...
    http://blog.mobissimo.in/archives/87...t-2007-08.html
    why?
    Have you actually seen the state of their rail system; and the sheer volume of passengers they have?

I haven't waited for 25min MRTs. The record is 6mins as displayed, even so, the train arrived in less than 4mins.

For the trains in Japan, I haven't tried timing myself to the dot (+/-10sec), but I dun have to remind u that the JR train derailment and crash that happened abt a year or two ago in Osaka occurred partly due to the extremely tight schedule that the driver had to keep and he was going faster than normal. The train bends in Japan are rather wide and that happened, I dun have to say how sharp the track bends are in here, u can literally feel it.
    I am just trying to say, the most important aspect of a world class transport is being consistence. Waiting for 25 min is just an illustration, would you be please when it took two hours to reach your destination when it normally took half an hour?
    You have mentioned, what is the point of having the time display in the first place when the provider can’t even be accurate with the timing. The difference between 6min and 4min is huge given the locomotive standard.
    The longest I have waited is 12 min at Bugis Junction on a Sat. Train too crowded, waited for the next one at 8 min. Total waiting time is 20 min.

I have no confident with our MRT operators because they can’t even be consistence with the administration. Do we remember the no waiting/loitering sign in MRT stations? Every weekday morning I see a long Q waiting in the MRT station waiting for the free paper. To make matter worse at super peak hours, we now have two Qs, one for Today and one for Wo Pao. These people are the elderly, they jammed up the walkway and I once trip over an old lady. Is there any safety aspect here or just purely commercial decisions?

I have heard about the derailment in Japan. But according to Engineering physic, a tight schedule will not cause derailment, but the centrifugal and coloris forces created by high speed over a tight bend with throw the train off its intended path.
    Do you agree that entering a well designed bend at the correct speed with a comfortable schedule will not cause derailment? All these boiled down to planning isn’t it? Our world class system can take care of all these, right?
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 13th March 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    Have you actually seen the state of their rail system; and the sheer volume of passengers they have?
    yes I have. and from first hand account of friends from india, not all trains are as packed as what you see on TV.

On the overall, just because it doesn't look as high tech, doesn't have air con or feature high tech plasma displays don't mean they are any less deserving any credit. We have lots to learn from others.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    but if you stay in kowloon, you will take ferry to go to work at hong kong.

hee hee, just feeling talkative. ignore.
    er.. not really. there's always the bus. or if you own a car u can just drive.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

I haven't waited for 25min MRTs. The record is 6mins as displayed, even so, the train arrived in less than 4mins.
    well i have waited a few times where upon reaching the platform it was ~6 mins. 3 mins later iy was still showing 6 mins. i guess it happens more often than expected.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    well i have waited a few times where upon reaching the platform it was ~6 mins. 3 mins later iy was still showing 6 mins. i guess it happens more often than expected.
    reminds me of those windows dialog boxes. "estimated time left : 1 min"

wait wait wait

"estimtated time left : 1 min"

yes I have. and from first hand account of friends from india, not all trains are as packed as what you see on TV.

On the overall, just because it doesn't look as high tech, doesn't have air con or feature high tech plasma displays don't mean they are any less deserving any credit. We have lots to learn from others.

There is so much for us to learn from others.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post

There is so much for us to learn from others.
    learn? you meant copy is it?

Got. Destroy all our roads. Everyone must now walk.

Works in tandem with our healthy lifestyle campaigns. I will support fully, because the work day will be shorter, since more allowance will be given for time to travel to work on foot.
    Imagine you stay at Jurong West and work in the Airport/Expo area. Sure die.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    learn? you meant copy is it?
    we've never COPIED.. we've always ADAPTED
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

we've never COPIED.. we've always ADAPTED
    hee hee, dunno leh. was in hongkong. when you see their "tv mobile" and "ezlink" system, it is like exactly the same as singapore. only difference? hong kong had that long ago before singapore.

Exactly, their trains are all pretty basic. No aircon, no fancy safety doors, no nice pastel colored seats, no plasma displays etc - all these translates into a lower operating cost. And given their sheer volume of passengers, they can quite easily afford to lower their fares.

Another reason I suspect why they have to lower their fares, is to attract even more people to use the trains. I'm not so certain about the other indian cities, but the traffic jams in mumbai is simply "incredible".

And I agree with you. Given their situation, they are doing a admirable job of moving their masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Such trival matter also remembered?
    That shows how petty you are.

must be school holiday lah..

Finally found some news of the additional benefits for some high ranking NSmen.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast