Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 119

Thread: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

  1. #41

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    That's the problem, we boast to be the best in the world, but always like to compare with the third world to make us look better.

    If you compare HK's system with ours, you will know where we stand in the world class standard. I heard in HK, When you train arrive, a connecting train will always be waiting for you. Is it true?
    Yes it's true, you may miss the one waiting if there's too much crowd, but the next one will probably be on its way in a couple of minutes.

    I was there a few days ago and here's my experience staying in Discovery Bay. BTW, DB is on Lantau Island, so it's pretty far away from the busy HK/KL. There are no private vehicles allowed in DB, except for permitted taxis and delivery vans. Residents got around by mainly walking or the public transport, although a very minority owns golf buggies, but it's really neglectable.

    If you take the Ferry to Discovery Bay, there will always be a feeder bus waiting for you after you got off the boat. If you take the MTR to Sunny Bay, there will also be a feeder bus waiting for you to take you to DB. Although the driver may wait for a couple of trains before going off, but the train intervals are so short, it's almost nothing. The ferry that brings you to DB is 24hrs, so are the bus services, but I think it will never happen here as it will NEVER be profitable here. But having said that, the intervals are longer in between at DB, and even more at night, but then again, it's only at DB, not the rest of the place.

    A mode of mass transport never explored here are the ferry services, which is really amazing considering we live on an island. I imagine the Marina Pier bringing in the working crowds from all over the island. There are main terminals at Tampines, Marina South, Jurong and Yishun. There will be drop off piers at Marine Parade, Bedok, Tampines, Punggol, Sembawang, West Coast, etc. There are then feeder bus that brings the people around the estates. There will be much less reliance on private cars and the land public transport are thus less burdened. We don't need to keep expanding the expressways.

    I suspect then, that there are of course, less money to collect from COEs, petrol. SMRT becomes less profitable, unless they run the ferry service.... I am sure there are 101 reasons NOT to have such alternative transports, but maybe, we are just not creative and flexible enough. Most of the rest of the world are using sea transport, ie, HK, Sydney, Venice, I am really don't know why it's not here......

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post
    A mode of mass transport never explored here are the ferry services, which is really amazing considering we live on an island. I imagine the Marina Pier bringing in the working crowds from all over the island. There are main terminals at Tampines, Marina South, Jurong and Yishun. There will be drop off piers at Marine Parade, Bedok, Tampines, Punggol, Sembawang, West Coast, etc. There are then feeder bus that brings the people around the estates. There will be much less reliance on private cars and the land public transport are thus less burdened. We don't need to keep expanding the expressways.

    I suspect then, that there are of course, less money to collect from COEs, petrol. SMRT becomes less profitable, unless they run the ferry service.... I am sure there are 101 reasons NOT to have such alternative transports, but maybe, we are just not creative and flexible enough. Most of the rest of the world are using sea transport, ie, HK, Sydney, Venice, I am really don't know why it's not here......
    ah? the reason why we don't rely on ferry services as a main mode of transportation is simply because it's really inefficient, especially if you consider the trajectory of movement. it's not like Singapore is physically separated into 2 parts by a large river running in between. also the embarking and disembarking time is really slow for ferry. seriously, even if there's ferry service from Punggol to Marina Bay, i'll just take the MRT if i have a schedule to meet.

    you just need to take a look at Manhattan. if you stay on the east of Manhattan, are you going to take a boat to the west of Manhattan to go to work?
    Last edited by eikin; 12th March 2007 at 11:41 PM.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    One more reason why ferry service not so viable.
    If got more ferries flying around..
    Our Coast Guard will have hard time trying to filter out which one got illegal immigrant on board coming from other places,

  4. #44

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    i heard high ranking NS-officers got no incentive to pass IPPT.. cos RT will be paid and it will get them more than what IPPT Gold can offer. so why pass?
    but if RT all the way then on the last day pass/silver/gold, won't that be even more money? can't rem, pass already means next year also clear, then cannot do the same thing again issit?

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stad van Manneken Pis
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    That's the problem, we boast to be the best in the world, but always like to compare with the third world to make us look better.

    If you compare HK's system with ours, you will know where we stand in the world class standard. I heard in HK, When you train arrive, a connecting train will always be waiting for you. Is it true?
    Just to let you know that I do belong to that 3rd world country

    Anyway my comparison was not for showing that Singapore is better. It was for me to show that even if you increase the number of buses or trains, the congestion will still exist coz people here want personal space. They dont want to be too packed with others. You have to adjust sometimes. I wont even go into how packed the MRTs in India are but suffice to say that Indians still find place for that one person who wants to board.
    Come visit my Flickr :)

  6. #46

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    [QUOTE=satay16;2907604]Firstly, explain "one dimensional". I dun get the analogy.

    Secondly, are you sure you know what EXACTLY the thoughts of these people are? Can you mindread them and conclude so conclusively that they are "one dimensional"?

    QUOTE]

    Hello Satay:

    "One dimensional" In this case, I am referring to reports that are trying to bring across certain thoughts or values. However, these reporting are done in a selective manner.
    360 soldiers opt to extend their service, but who are they and what are the benefits given to them? Out of 300,000 servicemen why only 360 of them? what happen to the rest.

    Yes, it is all assumption to say people's thoughts are one dimensional. It is stupid to make such a statement.
    But I really hope people like you will response to the statement, at least i know there are alot of serious thinkers out there when all indications point the other way.
    According to our dear LKY, he knows the people are very happy because there is no protest outside the parliament house.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 13th March 2007 at 01:09 AM.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Proper sources, what appointment holder or what, on the Internet you can be a supermodel, Superman or a beggar I also don't know whether it's true or not.

    As far as I'm concerned, you haven't provided any concrete proof. Until you can, then I have the right to dispute this!

    Yah...5 years ago..
    When there are 2 men said Durai is a corrupted man, misused of funds...but kanna sued by Durai to court and these 2 men had to apologised to Durai because lack of any concrete proof.

    Fast forward 5 years later.... Durai is exposed.

    Durai will not exposed if he did not sued SPH.....and people will still stand by his side.
    Just like the 600k peanuts lady & the one who said "he look like a fool".


  8. #48

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Yah...5 years ago..
    When there are 2 men said Durai is a corrupted man, misused of funds...but kanna sued by Durai to court and these 2 men had to apologised to Durai because lack of any concrete proof.

    Fast forward 5 years later.... Durai is exposed.

    Durai will not exposed if he did not sued SPH.....and people will still stand by his side.
    Just like the 600k peanuts lady & the one who said "he look like a fool".

    Er, totally separate issue.

    Wa, like that also can.

    Last time got monk in temple in the Southern Province of China. Got 2 men say that he is corrupted, misuse of funds, so the monk bring the 2 men to see the magistrate and the magistrate make the 2 men apologise to the monk because of lack of concrete proof.

    After the monk died, concrete proof came out that he was never corrupted, never misused funds before.

    There are 8,000 stories, just that some stories are more prominent than others. As far as I am concerned, when information like that is relatively accessible and one can actually bother to take the effort to do a proper search - it shows that he himself is convinced, instead of just sitting around and making wild postulations that "it should happen because we are all appointment holders" - whatever that means, in any case.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    According to our dear LKY, he knows the people are very happy because there is no protest out the parliament house.

    hee ha ha . actually, there ARE some people who are happy. just depends what institution you are related to.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Like that everything also can complain la.

    Bus empty, you say waste petrol.

    Bus full, also make noise.

    Bus half-full, you say never make proper use of resources, can make smaller bus to save petrol.

    Bus quarter-full, you say got people hanky-panky because not enough people on bus to enforce public shame treatment.

    The cynic will always make noise no matter what. Half empty glass, blah blah blah. Tsk tsk tsk.
    Ok... I am grumpy....
    But I am not out to complain about everything in Singapore.
    Providing real time travel info cost money, and I feel that these money could be put to better use. I would gladly accept a crowded bus or train if our last dollar has already been fully utilized to improve the transport system. But I see a different situation now, we are spending good money for no good course.

    Let me give you an example,
    In Australia, the bus services have time table. You know the timing of the buses, don't you think this method is cheap and good? Consistency and accuracy is highly priced in any transport system. A time board telling you the time is good but what is the point if the bus arrival time is inconsistence, this train arrives in 1 min, the next one arrives in 25min and the next arrives in 2min, do you like this kind of service.
    In Japan, you do not even need to know the name of the station you want to alight at, just look at your watch, alight at the designated time and you will be in the correct station. Is this true Mr eikin?
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 13th March 2007 at 12:55 AM.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    when information like that is relatively accessible and one can actually bother to take the effort to do a proper search -
    So easy search?
    Can show me the links/info you'd searched?

    Somethings or some matters are covered nicely,
    Want to search also hard to search.



    The point is... sometimes don't just read the surface...
    underneath is filled with dirt.

    Of coz, no concrete proof again...you can rebuke what i had just said.


  12. #52

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Timing of buses good?

    Oh, I remember last time got rough timing, then the bus drivers all rush for schedule. End up got poor schoolboy like me just miss the bus, the next bus come, don't know the bus driver either don't like my face or what, or maybe just rushing for time.

    I put out my hand.

    ZOOM.

    I spend half an hour waiting for bus.
    No thanks, I rather let them have flexible timing.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    The point is... sometimes don't just read the surface...
    underneath is filled with dirt.
    That's like saying; don't bathe yourself, you will get dirty anyways.

    No meaning, no nothing. Let's just end this pointless conversation, since you are just making sweeping statement after sweeping statement. And massive leaps in logic, I am too old to follow you, you can be the new Logic Batman.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the next bus come, don't know the bus driver either don't like my face or what, or maybe just rushing for time.

    I put out my hand.
    ZOOM.

    Thatz why our SBS have this advertisement campaign....
    Wave your hand early!

    Cater for people like you mah.


  15. #55

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    Thatz why our SBS have this advertisement campaign....
    Wave your hand early!

    Cater for people like you mah.

    I waved my hand very happily from when the bus driver at traffic light leh.

    But anyways, already so long ago, but I'll never forget lor. That day damn sad, cannot play computer game as long as usual. =(

  16. #56

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    I am too old to follow you, you can be the new Logic Batman.

    No wonder!
    Old people like to confine to their own mindset, unwillingly to change.

    Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!
    No wonder our elite leaders keep asking old people to adapt, to learn new things.

    How true it is.


  17. #57

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Timing of buses good?

    Oh, I remember last time got rough timing, then the bus drivers all rush for schedule. End up got poor schoolboy like me just miss the bus, the next bus come, don't know the bus driver either don't like my face or what, or maybe just rushing for time.

    I put out my hand.

    ZOOM.

    I spend half an hour waiting for bus.
    No thanks, I rather let them have flexible timing.

    Is that your bus, some buses dont stop at every bus stop one leh...

  18. #58

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    No wonder!
    Old people like to confine to their own mindset, unwillingly to change.

    Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!
    No wonder our elite leaders keep asking old people to adapt, to learn new things.

    How true it is.

    Ya lor.

    I'm 20 years old. =D

  19. #59

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
    No wonder!
    Old people like to confine to their own mindset, unwillingly to change.

    Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!
    No wonder our elite leaders keep asking old people to adapt, to learn new things.

    How true it is.

    Aio... You really can swan people hor... You very funny leh...

  20. #60

    Default Re: Our News reports are one dimensional, so are our thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    But anyways, already so long ago, but I'll never forget lor.
    Such trival matter also remembered?
    That shows how petty you are.


Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •