Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: US soldier takes potshots at SAF

Default Re: US soldier takes potshots at SAF

Quote Originally Posted by leotitude79 View Post
    1. Safety in training - SAF being a conscript army, Training and safety comes equally first. Training objectives must be met and at the same time making sure that safety in the training is not compromise. Anything happen, the commanders is actually answerable to the nation, family and everyone.

2. Malay officer - recently there is one Malay officer who commissioned from Sandhurst, who went through his officer cadet training in Sandhurst.

3. Women officer not holding major appointment - There is one women officer who was Commanding officer of a artillery battalion. I think now she have taken a more senior appointment by now.

I feel that we must read up the actual article by Mr Walsh.
    during last NDP at Padang, there was a very pretty CO lady leading the SM1 tanks.

From what I read, your defence is very good

Interesting, I thought will have a lot of people will support Mr Walsh because Singaporeans like to complain.

But response is actually the other way!

I like. For once! =D

ONCE ARMOUR, ALWAYS ARMOUR*

It's interesting to note that whenever a debate about Malays in the SAF crops up, there's always a denial that there's such a policy of not having Malays in certain units. I find it's a clever twisting of words. Such units do not have MUSLIMS, which is something people don't really precisely mention.

I am Chinese. I was in Armour during my NSF days. Once, I just nonchalantly asked my sergeant, how come this place got no Muslims? His answer was a classic: "Because here got no Muslim cookhouse". When I went back for reservist, I did notice that there were now Muslim cookhouses, with strict signs that non-Muslim cutlery can not be washed at the Muslim washbasins. But the problem is, that half of the cookhouse was always empty (as far as I could observe).

I converted to Islam, and I declared it online (change of personal details) as soon as that happened. The SAF sent me notification to come for reservist duty. When I acknowledged receipt of the notification, within two days, MINDEF sent me a letter telling me essentially that I don't need to go for training anymore as I have been taken out of my unit.

Well, I was not surprised. I was just waiting for it to happen. I did call up NSSC to find out why, get an official word. And they came out with all sorts of excuses.

"You disruptee, right? Maybe they feel you missed out on too much training, that's why they take you out." (I disrupted during NSF days. I was assigned my NSF unit together with everyone else.)

"You PES C, right? Maybe that's why." (I was a technician, and many others were like me, PES C.)

In the end, I just asked the fella, these are not the real reasons, right? And to that, he answered, and I quote word for word: "To be perfectly honest sir, you are not allowed to know."

I've heard many anecdotes before, but to be fair, many of these were 2nd or 3rd hand stories. But when something like this happens to you personally, I really doubt that it's just a coincidence.

*provided you remain as a non-Muslim

And as for the US, THEY are the ones who are kiasi, cannot accept losses. (Well, in general. George W doesn't seem to mind sending more troops to Iraq.)

Look at how they didn't want to send their ground troops into Kosovo. Full of snipers. So they just do overhead bombing, then when they hit the Chinese embassy, they say "oops, sorry, wrong intel" (I'm wondering about that part, too).

Then they use WMDs as an excuse to send their troops in to Iraq. Question: Where are the WMDs? I think it's precisely that there are none that they dare send troops in. If there were really chemical and biological weapons in Saddam's arsenal, he would've used them.

North Korea, now they have a real possibility of owning nukes, that's why they daren't attack them. If no nukes, George W would've planted a whole lot of McDonalds and 7-Elevens there long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    And as for the US, THEY are the ones who are kiasi, cannot accept losses. (Well, in general. George W doesn't seem to mind sending more troops to Iraq.)

Look at how they didn't want to send their ground troops into Kosovo. Full of snipers. So they just do overhead bombing, then when they hit the Chinese embassy, they say "oops, sorry, wrong intel" (I'm wondering about that part, too).

Then they use WMDs as an excuse to send their troops in to Iraq. Question: Where are the WMDs? I think it's precisely that there are none that they dare send troops in. If there were really chemical and biological weapons in Saddam's arsenal, he would've used them.

North Korea, now they have a real possibility of owning nukes, that's why they daren't attack them. If no nukes, George W would've planted a whole lot of McDonalds and 7-Elevens there long ago.
    talking about North Korea, there is no mac or 7-11, however there is Sakae Sushi opened by a Singaporean !

I beg to differ....

I'm a Chinese, non-Muslim, went to Armour for my BMT, left Armour and became a Grunt. But no more reservist I guess, knee op.

It's interesting to note that whenever a debate about Malays in the SAF crops up, there's always a denial that there's such a policy of not having Malays in certain units. I find it's a clever twisting of words. Such units do not have MUSLIMS, which is something people don't really precisely mention.

I am Chinese. I was in Armour during my NSF days. Once, I just nonchalantly asked my sergeant, how come this place got no Muslims? His answer was a classic: "Because here got no Muslim cookhouse". When I went back for reservist, I did notice that there were now Muslim cookhouses, with strict signs that non-Muslim cutlery can not be washed at the Muslim washbasins. But the problem is, that half of the cookhouse was always empty (as far as I could observe).

I converted to Islam, and I declared it online (change of personal details) as soon as that happened. The SAF sent me notification to come for reservist duty. When I acknowledged receipt of the notification, within two days, MINDEF sent me a letter telling me essentially that I don't need to go for training anymore as I have been taken out of my unit.

Well, I was not surprised. I was just waiting for it to happen. I did call up NSSC to find out why, get an official word. And they came out with all sorts of excuses.

"You disruptee, right? Maybe they feel you missed out on too much training, that's why they take you out." (I disrupted during NSF days. I was assigned my NSF unit together with everyone else.)

"You PES C, right? Maybe that's why." (I was a technician, and many others were like me, PES C.)

In the end, I just asked the fella, these are not the real reasons, right? And to that, he answered, and I quote word for word: "To be perfectly honest sir, you are not allowed to know."

I've heard many anecdotes before, but to be fair, many of these were 2nd or 3rd hand stories. But when something like this happens to you personally, I really doubt that it's just a coincidence.

Agree with you totally on this. To me i guess that was one of the underlying points the author wanted to get across. However in defense, our Col Lim talked about people from the muslim community getting rank and appointments. Yes we do have female COs and appointment holders and I was in the same sword presentation as the malay officer who went to sandhurst. Though he might get a high rank and appointment in the very near future, the problem is, which unit will he be sent to or rather, which unit allows him to command his place there. Definitely not commandos and artillery like we all said. That is why this flaw is a pity because the SAF disallows quality from the muslim community to flow into the blood of units such as commandos and arti..bleah.

Once Armour, Always Armour.

You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    Gee.... he spends several weeks in Spore and suddenly that makes him an expert... its probably analyst like him that got them Vietnam and Iraq.... hahahha....
    I agree with zplus.

Why does his spending a few weeks here and probably behind the high and closed solid walls of the US Embassy make him an expert and qualified to criticise us?

I am throughly fed up with Americans going around the world benchmarking their so-called "democracy" and whoever does not measure up, is guilty of lacking of "human rights" and should be penalised by them.

See how they reacted to China's shooting down of their satellite. To the Americans, space is solely the territory of the US and anyone that intrudes is to be stopped by any means.

What bull****.

This is why they are so hated around the world.

Look in their own country first and see what their brand of democracy brings-9-year-olds selling drugs in school, Presidents having sex in the White House with interns, discrimination against the blacks, multiple murders in High Schools, widespread fraud in corporations, the wholesale slaughter of the Native Americans etc.

I wish that they do not feel that they need to put in their two-cents worth everywhere, even when they are not welcomed.

If not for Iraq, they would probably be more deeply involved in the issue of Taiwan and heating up the problem instead of solving it.

Now, now.... cool it.

People always dun tend to see the shit in their own backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    I beg to differ....

I'm a Chinese, non-Muslim, went to Armour for my BMT, left Armour and became a Grunt. But no more reservist I guess, knee op.
    My bad for the over-generalisation.

But sometimes, it's quite frustrating. I was quite on about NS. Now, it's like I'm left in the dark.

Downloaded the article for reading pleasure. Quite an interesting read from the author's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Norest View Post
    Did the US soldiers shoot innocent children in Iraq? Where did you get that from? I would be interested to know.
    I dunno about the shooting part, but the raping and the sex abuse stories are plentiful.

eye opener! maybe if I declare a change in religion I can escape my reservist duties too!! My unit coincedentally do not have Muslims.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Downloaded the article for reading pleasure. Quite an interesting read from the author's point of view.
    Mind sending me a copy?

Quote Originally Posted by mingkor View Post
    If not for Iraq, they would probably be more deeply involved in the issue of Taiwan and heating up the problem instead of solving it.
    Hehehe... I think Taiwan is no longer the darling anymore... a lot of hi-tech manufacturing have now shifted to China. Its an economic powerhouse that no one can deny and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

The satellite issue is just a sideshow... USA is the only other nation that tested the shooting down of a satellite using a anti-satellite missile (ASAT) back in the old Reagan days under the Star Wars Project (they really called it that). Other deadly technology explored to destroy satellites included microwave beams, EMP burst, high energy lasers, particle beams, etc... As far as I know, the research is still ongoing... the pot calling the kettle black... hahahha.

How many critics of the aritcle actually read the entire article? I did not, so I am not going to comment on the article. However, I do have some very damning observations.

What Mr. Walsh wrote was an article of his own opinions, during his few weeks stay in Singapore, on his observation of the SAF.

It never ceased to amaze me, how Singaporean, or at the very least a large group of Singaporean, cannot take any criticism, nor ever differences in opinions, when it comes to anything Singapore. Yet, they are quick to ladel their comments and criticism on others.

My conclusion here is, as long as someone is praising Singapore, everything is fine and dandy. Anyone who dares to express an opinion that may not shed the best light on Singapore, the mob will gather to burn his/her effigy.

This is purely my opinion only, based on my limited observation of bvehavior in Singapore, as
    demonstrated by some of the post this THIS thread
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

No la Deadpoet. You need to read more Kopitiam threads.

Singaporeans will only allow themselves to complain about Singapore stuff. Anyone else complain, they not happy. Tsk tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    How many critics of the aritcle actually read the entire article? I did not, so I am not going to comment on the article. However, I do have some very damning observations.

What Mr. Walsh wrote was an article of his own opinions, during his few weeks stay in Singapore, on his observation of the SAF.

It never ceased to amaze me, how Singaporean, or at the very least a large group of Singaporean, cannot take any criticism, nor ever differences in opinions, when it comes to anything Singapore. Yet, they are quick to ladel their comments and criticism on others.

My conclusion here is, as long as someone is praising Singapore, everything is fine and dandy. Anyone who dares to express an opinion that may not shed the best light on Singapore, the mob will gather to burn his/her effigy.

This is purely my opinion only, based on my limited observation of bvehavior in Singapore, as
    demonstrated by some of the post this THIS thread
    to a large extent, u r rite! & v honest abt it!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast