Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Talking Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Waiting for some samples from your copy!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    haha....its a 30mm F/1.4 but sadly for Pentax mount its not HSM.
    Thanks to Feng wei and you for the alert. Helped greatly. The seller is quite a nice fellow who bought it direct from Japan thinking it was an HSM lens only to learn HSM only available for C and N. Now with the K10D supporting, its not impossible for sigma to release an HSM version. This one I have is pretty noisy and wow...pretty heavy too. With the lens, I felt as if I was carrying the k10D !

    Here are some initial shots (taken soon after I collected the camera and on way home)

    Lens cap on table :



    Night scene - Distant



    Night scene - Near


  3. #3

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Bush under street light



    Car under street light



    Cup Indoors



    18-55 Lens Indoors


  4. #4

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Bokeh Test #1





    Bokeh Test #2



    cheers!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    BTW. any idea why there is glare on the 18-55mm lens? This caused the lens not to appear black as it should be.
    I tried from several angles but the result is always the same. Is it due to strong reflection from the table? Do advise...thanks

  6. #6

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    It doesn't look black because you spot metered on the black barrel without exposure compensation.
    Last edited by peapilot; 12th March 2007 at 01:52 AM. Reason: typos

  7. #7

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    It doesn't look black because you spot metered on the black barrel without exposure compensation.
    Hi
    Thanks for the feedback...How do I correct this? I needed to lock onto the lens to ensure proper focus.
    cheers

  8. #8

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    A quick search on "exposure compensation" on google turned up this pretty useful link. It basically explains how your camera meters a scene and how you can control it better.
    http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...pensation.html

  9. #9

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    BTW. any idea why there is glare on the 18-55mm lens? This caused the lens not to appear black as it should be.
    I tried from several angles but the result is always the same. Is it due to strong reflection from the table? Do advise...thanks
    Its taken at f1.4 right? Try stopping down eg. 2.0, 2.8, 4.0 etc. You'll lose background softness but stopping down usually fix the blooming caused by super large apertures.

    Also try shooting text at different apertures to show how well it handles contrasty details.

  10. #10
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    er... is there a reason why many of your pictures are tilting to the left?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by VSonic06 View Post
    Its taken at f1.4 right? Try stopping down eg. 2.0, 2.8, 4.0 etc. You'll lose background softness but stopping down usually fix the blooming caused by super large apertures.

    Also try shooting text at different apertures to show how well it handles contrasty details.
    thanks vsonic06 and peabody..
    will try it out.
    cheers

  12. #12

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    er... is there a reason why many of your pictures are tilting to the left?
    holy cow! you are right! I hadn't noticed that earlier. Could it be barrel distortion?
    In anycase, I noticed slight vignetting in the right corner for some situations...not sure if this is normal.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    holy cow! you are right! I hadn't noticed that earlier. Could it be barrel distortion?
    In anycase, I noticed slight vignetting in the right corner for some situations...not sure if this is normal.
    ? That amount of tilt can be barrel distortion?!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    944

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Too dependend on SR???
    Birds Of Singapore Android App released!
    the mac 13 on Flickr

  15. #15

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    holy cow! you are right! I hadn't noticed that earlier. Could it be barrel distortion?
    In anycase, I noticed slight vignetting in the right corner for some situations...not sure if this is normal.
    is it true for your pics with other lenses as well? (the tilt?)

  16. #16
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    Let's hope it is not the misaligned sensor issue that some in dpreview are said to have encountered.

  17. #17
    Member ykgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    KL, Penang
    Posts
    529

    Default Re: Oi airconvent, where is your Sigma 30mm shots?

    it is not a barrel distortion.. distortion should happen around the pix.. not tilt just 1 side.. better check ur camara.. or your hands..
    used Nikon, Canon, Panasonic n Oly.. now Fujifilm

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •