View Poll Results: What's your priority in a official shoot...

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Priority is the shot. The rest is secondary. No shot no pay

    27 40.30%
  • Priority is the shot but I will be courteous. Even though I may miss the shot.

    25 37.31%
  • Priority is to be courteous and still get the shot. Maybe not the best shot.

    13 19.40%
  • Others (pls specify...)

    2 2.99%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 54 of 54

Thread: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

  1. #41
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post
    I had one unpleasant experience with a photographer in front of me, he kept moving into my field of view. Asked him nicely if he would stop moving and blocking me. Showed me his media pass, as I hadn't gotten mine yet I could tell him to piss off. I changed to my 70-200 he came back to try and block me again and knocked into my lens. Smacked him in the ear with the lens, he never got in my way after that.

    There are some jerks out there, some of them are press photographers. But having said that, there are some nice guys out there too. They have the freaking nerve to tape off "their area" and you cannot encroach that boundary, their reasoning, they are shooting for the newspaper, their job is more important. Hey give and take alittle, next time I come across some of these guys, I won't be so nice. If you are cool with me, I'll be cool with you. If you wanna be nasty, so can I.

    At the end of the day everyone who is there has a job to do, you aren't the only one trying to get the job done, there are actually other people that are trying to do the same.

    For those guys who are shooting for fun or are novices, no one is saying you can't shoot, by all means, but once you have your shot get out of the way, let someone else get the shot.
    Wacking an official photographer might land u in a police station easily and you might have to sell that lens to pay for your way out ...
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  2. #42

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    I'll just claim he ran into my lens.

  3. #43
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post
    I'll just claim he ran into my lens.
    Good try, dun be surprised when that happens to you, but I won't buy that lens though ...
    Last edited by yilishengxian; 12th March 2007 at 02:17 PM.
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  4. #44

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post
    By chance does this guy have a nickname?? Sometimes refered to as the dancing fool.
    are you referring to the one dancing at marina square atrium?

  5. #45
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post
    I'll just claim he ran into my lens.
    I always hold a hammer in front of my lens and swing it left and right. No head dares to block me.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I always hold a hammer in front of my lens and swing it left and right. No head dares to block me.
    why not hold samurai sword!, kill bill style, anyone in front all cut into half.....slice slice

  7. #47
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I always hold a hammer in front of my lens and swing it left and right. No head dares to block me.
    U better hope the hammer doesn't come loose fly into your lens . You'll have those cool crack lines appearing in your images after that ...
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  8. #48
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Yea, just like when you stab someone, you can say he ran into your knife. In fact, why not bring a small knife and stab him in the side? You can then tell the judge that he ran into your knife.
    Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post
    I'll just claim he ran into my lens.
    Last edited by vince123123; 12th March 2007 at 02:59 PM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Wacking an official photographer might land u in a police station easily and you might have to sell that lens to pay for your way out ...
    So wacking a non-official photographer u get off the hook?

    So u need to buy kevlar armour? i can sell u cheap cheap...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    chill yah? don't spoil the discussion can?

  11. #51
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    So wacking a non-official photographer u get off the hook?

    So u need to buy kevlar armour? i can sell u cheap cheap...
    Wack official photographer, sell lenses to get out (maybe still get charged) + wack non official photographer, sell camera body and flash to get out (and maybe still get charged) = no more equipment ...
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  12. #52

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    if so, i suggest go oganise your own event, pay yourself to be the offical CAM and ask everyone to buzz off. surely after that you will have all the space and angle to shoot liao.

    there are 360degrees on horizontial plane and 360degrees on the vertical plane, only 1 point to shoot?

    It is not mandatory, but then if you feel like that then why pther have to give a A$$ if you make the shoots or not. Please remember others do not own you nuts.

    can't make heads or tails of what you are saying buddy

    my point is that try as you might to live in an idealisitc world, but the world just doesn't work that way i wish it would but it doesn't. sure it would be nice if we all got along and i agree. what i'm saying is that no one owes anybody anything and if you live your life thinking everyone has to be courteous then you're in for a rude awakening because it isn't going to happen. i try to be courteous, but i know i cannot force my values, ethics, beliefs on anyone else, and that is really a big part or at the heart of this debate...expecting someone to act how you would.

    be mad with me if you want for saying that but it's reality. i'm saying be creative and find another angle for your shot, i do. you have a choice...grumble and complain because an official or pro photog is in your way when they have a job to do, or simply suck it up and find another angle.

    example... move up, down, left, right, forward, backward, or stand there and complain. you have at least 7 options, so pic one. it gets to a point where if i would be looking behind me to see who i am in the way of, then i or any of us will miss what is in front of us and miss the shot. bottom line, we are all in the way of someone sometime somewhere. as long as there are people in the world this will happen so why do we act as if this is something new? some people will be nice and others won't so why complain or grumble about what you cannot control? simply make a choice, get upset, move for another angle, or ask the photog if he/she can move a bit, but worst case scenario, expect them to think or even say who are you to tell me i'm in your way when i have a job to do.

    i think Club CS should mean Club Complain Somemore
    sorry guys, but in my opinion someone has a job to do, end of story. if he/she can accomodate you, fine...if not, then you should be able to reason that they have a job to do...or be miserable and complain. at the end of the day, being courteous is not a law so why act as if it is because it seems that way.

    i'm not knocking anyone, but just think there are far more important things in life.

    i do agree with you on the point that it would be nice if were all courteous.
    although i just don't see it as being some sort of crime or rights violation if someone is in the way when they have a job to do. anyways this will go on forever and i said my peace...i'm out of this debate

  13. #53
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    I want to say something...

    I have been the official media photographer for many movie events. On the actual day... it involves being at the airport awaiting the entourage... following them in the MPV, to their hotel, for the press conference, & they will also have an outdoor activity before their gala event at night, it could be a dinner, or ballroom event thing, it could even be a closed door thing.

    At such an event, of course i am not the only person with a big dSLR camera... i get to 'rival' other photographers from i-weekly, U-Weekly, 8 days, Xin Min Bao, Zhao Bao & Wan Bao. Sometimes TV camerman from CNA, TV12, TV8 or Channel U too. Their video cameras are bigger than any dSLR of course...

    Sometimes i find that the magazines photographers take better photos than me of course, i'm a nobody. But i dun keep snapping snapping on the movie star as if he or she is mine & only mine... I am lucky that at the airport from the start, i am 'protected' by the bodyguards. They are locally employed by the event company to 'guard' the stars right from the start... sometimes i may missed some shots as due to i must be fairly close to the entourage & not wander too farl, i might get detached from the entourage... I get to travel in the hired MB Vito with the stars, be humble is very important... the body guards will usher the stars into the car first, they are priority, me & bodyguards last & i usually sit at the back right end of the car... inside the car, no more photo taking already... i should never sneak photos on the star, the movie stars dun like it.

    I need to exit quickly so as to get important photos of the stars arriving at this place or that place... sometimes to do that i will be in a decoy car they call it, or an advance party car.

    At the press conference, sometimes it's a ballroom, sometimes it's a club or pub like place... the venue might be intimate, i.e small place... my experience so far is the magazine/press photographers are friendly... we dun fight for place... we take turns automatically to snap pics at good angled places... all very well mannered. Sometimes i find them more aggressive than me... tat is fine lah... my day like very tiring... i dun go fight with anyother photographer over small things... so far i find most courteous & 'automatic'...

    Like someone else mentioned. Videographer more hostile towards ppl whom not automatic. I've seen photographers ga na told off by them. Me myself have been tapped at the should by one to move. I obliged & said sorry, even though i am official photographer, but they from CNA, more big deal i think...

    In the evening... there is gala & again i have to rival with other photographers, but less usually... i get to take photos of both local & foreign media artist... then there will be a time where only i, the official photographer, & the V.I.P, will be in a V.I.P room with luxurious food & wine... I dun just snap pics as i pls... i follow my P.R & can only take pics when they want to. They are H.K movie companies bosses, & bosses of Shaw, Cathay, E.W etc, together with the movie director & the movie stars. Then usually the ending is a grp shot of them...

    Maybe i've said too much & all the unnecessary... wat i want to say is be humble lah... be courteous also... keep an open mind... dun try to act too smart or arrogant (for me lah, coz i'm a nobody)... It's also a good event for me to give my name card to media companies & P.R...

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Some equitorial, tropical isle
    Posts
    2,398

    Default Re: Official Event Photog Courtesy Poll...

    Thanks for sharing! Yes, that's how it is in reality. Most people are nice and courteous. When you ask politely, the person would who is blocking you would try to shift a bit.


    Hehehe! Must be quite fun to follow celebrities around...

    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    I want to say something...

    I have been the official media photographer for many movie events. On the actual day... it involves being at the airport awaiting the entourage... following them in the MPV, to their hotel, for the press conference, & they will also have an outdoor activity before their gala event at night, it could be a dinner, or ballroom event thing, it could even be a closed door thing.

    At such an event, of course i am not the only person with a big dSLR camera... i get to 'rival' other photographers from i-weekly, U-Weekly, 8 days, Xin Min Bao, Zhao Bao & Wan Bao. Sometimes TV camerman from CNA, TV12, TV8 or Channel U too. Their video cameras are bigger than any dSLR of course...

    Sometimes i find that the magazines photographers take better photos than me of course, i'm a nobody. But i dun keep snapping snapping on the movie star as if he or she is mine & only mine... I am lucky that at the airport from the start, i am 'protected' by the bodyguards. They are locally employed by the event company to 'guard' the stars right from the start... sometimes i may missed some shots as due to i must be fairly close to the entourage & not wander too farl, i might get detached from the entourage... I get to travel in the hired MB Vito with the stars, be humble is very important... the body guards will usher the stars into the car first, they are priority, me & bodyguards last & i usually sit at the back right end of the car... inside the car, no more photo taking already... i should never sneak photos on the star, the movie stars dun like it.

    I need to exit quickly so as to get important photos of the stars arriving at this place or that place... sometimes to do that i will be in a decoy car they call it, or an advance party car.

    At the press conference, sometimes it's a ballroom, sometimes it's a club or pub like place... the venue might be intimate, i.e small place... my experience so far is the magazine/press photographers are friendly... we dun fight for place... we take turns automatically to snap pics at good angled places... all very well mannered. Sometimes i find them more aggressive than me... tat is fine lah... my day like very tiring... i dun go fight with anyother photographer over small things... so far i find most courteous & 'automatic'...

    Like someone else mentioned. Videographer more hostile towards ppl whom not automatic. I've seen photographers ga na told off by them. Me myself have been tapped at the should by one to move. I obliged & said sorry, even though i am official photographer, but they from CNA, more big deal i think...

    In the evening... there is gala & again i have to rival with other photographers, but less usually... i get to take photos of both local & foreign media artist... then there will be a time where only i, the official photographer, & the V.I.P, will be in a V.I.P room with luxurious food & wine... I dun just snap pics as i pls... i follow my P.R & can only take pics when they want to. They are H.K movie companies bosses, & bosses of Shaw, Cathay, E.W etc, together with the movie director & the movie stars. Then usually the ending is a grp shot of them...

    Maybe i've said too much & all the unnecessary... wat i want to say is be humble lah... be courteous also... keep an open mind... dun try to act too smart or arrogant (for me lah, coz i'm a nobody)... It's also a good event for me to give my name card to media companies & P.R...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •