Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get sharp pics from my D70s

Default Re: How to get sharp pics from my D70s

Thanks again to cheersjy/knpan/Kit/eikin/michhy/jnet6 for the participation and advice.

Usually when I display the picture in 25% or even 50% of the original size, it looks quite alright. Only when I go further up and show it in its original size, then I will experience the not-so-sharp problem.

Pictures taken in sunny days have no problem at all. It's only when I shoot in low light then it will have such problem.

I was just keen to find out is this part of the hardware constraints or is there any area that I have to take note in order to achieve better picture quality.

It being a kit lens, certainly we have to understand its constraints and moderate our expectation. Haven't really ventured into the medium to high end range wide angle lenses yet ) Was eyeing the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 but wasn't sure would I run into the same problem now.....

Thanks again for the contribution from you guys !!

Santhi

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Amazing... you can actually motion blur in that jpeg...
    Why? A possibility that could happen. Slight motion to cause some blurring?

Quote Originally Posted by Santhiheafern View Post
    Pictures taken in sunny days have no problem at all. It's only when I shoot in low light then it will have such problem.

I was just keen to find out is this part of the hardware constraints or is there any area that I have to take note in order to achieve better picture quality.

It being a kit lens, certainly we have to understand its constraints and moderate our expectation. Haven't really ventured into the medium to high end range wide angle lenses yet ) Was eyeing the Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 but wasn't sure would I run into the same problem now.....

Santhi
    Actually you don't have to use an expensive lens to determine if the lack of sharpness is due to your camera setting or the kit lens - just grab a 50mm f1.8 lens (~$170 new if u have not got one yet), stop down at f3.5-5 and shoot under the same condition. This is one of the sharpest (and cheapest) lens you can get. If the problem persists, then probably you have to play around with the cam settings

you have to understand that most DSLRs nowadays have an anti aliasing filter. so whilst pics out of the camera can be good enough to print, its always useful to incorporate some post processing in your workflow, including a bit of sharpening.

theres nothing wrong with the kit lens. and its very hard to tell from just one picture whether its sharp or not. anyway, sometimes, personally, i think we worry too much about things like sharpness, than the picture itself.

if its a good picture, no one is realy going to care if its a touch soft.

also if you had told us the settings at which you shot, the answer to your soft picture would have been clear, instead of letting people guess. looking at ur EXIF, this was shot at 70mm at 1/3 of a second at F11. and thats ur answer.

thats waaaay to low a shutter speed for handholding, even if you had a VR lens. if you use the basic 1 over focal length rule, your minimum shutter speed should have been 1/70th of a second.
    Last edited by jdredd; 13th March 2007 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
    thats waaaay to low a shutter speed for handholding, even if you had a VR lens. if you use the basic 1 over focal length rule, your minimum shutter speed should have been 1/70th of a second.
    He did used a tripod.

if its a static scene, thats fine. but with people in the picture, 1/3 is still too low.

in any event, pictures straight out of camera are never going to be the best product that you have, because you are relyin gon ur camera processor to do the raw processing, sharpening and noise reduction.

if you want absolutely the best quality picture, shoot raw, then do some proper post processing. if you still have soft pictures, then at least you know it has to be osme other factor.
    Last edited by jdredd; 13th March 2007 at 10:04 AM.

I took the liberty of downloading your picture and did a little bit of sharpening.

Original picture

Sharpened

See the difference? If you look at the patch of grass in the foreground, notice the slight change in contrast? That's what I meant by perception of sharpness can be influenced by contrast. This is not optimum yet since I couldn't work on the original picture. Many people here believe they can buy their way out of problems. That's not going to help you at all especially when you can't tell for sure if its going to work in the first place. Your $170 would be better spent on books related to digital editing and some 10x15 prints to see the results for yourself. I believe in teaching the fisherman how to fish well before giving him a good rod.

...... Your $170 would be better spent on books related to digital editing and some 10x15 prints to see the results for yourself. I......
    I think he meant good when he advised you to spend the money on that lens. Such comments are not warranted when he already took the trouble to give you a very useful advise

Quote Originally Posted by sigg View Post
    I think he meant good when he advised you to spend the money on that lens. Such comments are not warranted when he already took the trouble to give you a very useful advise
    I'm not questioning about anybody's intention to give advise. If you think that spending $170to get a lens for trial and error tests is ok, then by all means.....

Thanks again to cheersjy/knpan/Kit/eikin/michhy/jnet6 for the participation and advice.

Usually when I display the picture in 25% or even 50% of the original size, it looks quite alright. Only when I go further up and show it in its original size, then I will experience the not-so-sharp problem.

Santhi
    let's just say no one will observe your picture at 100%, even if you print your picture out, it's only 50% the size of the original size seen on the computer screen

don't worry too much, enjoy the shooting

btw, if you're looking for an alternative lens to your kit lens, i would recommend that you get a nikkor 50mm 1.8 (quite cheap, especially at 2nd hand) it's a very good lens for those new to photography. you'll learn what zoom and aperture is about if you practise enough on that lens.

I'm not questioning about anybody's intention to give advise. If you think that spending $170to get a lens for trial and error tests is ok, then by all means.....
    Well, besides being used on testing on the sharpness, this is a very useful lens (if not must have) especially for beginners who dun want to spend too much on a new hobby. This lens gives beautiful bokeh for portrait shots and can take impressive macro shots with the use of a reversal ring. Sort of compensating what the kit lens is lacking of.

I guess it is out of good will that all forumers share their experiences and advices. The is no one that is superior. I know a couple of photog/hobbists who don't bother to touch up their images and want them to be good right out of the cam (although i am the opposite). So it is up to the person who starts the thread to decide what is best for him/her.

Hi there, I've not really been able to get sharp pictures from my D70s+kit lens (DX18-70 f/3.5-4.5/G) since the day I started using it.

The picture below is one of the example.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/DSC_1364.jpg

The problem is most obvious with pictures taken outdoor in low light without flash. Have tried the hyperfocal distance formula but no noticeable improvement. I also have adjusted the Sharpening Option of my camera to Medium High. But again, it's not helping much.

Any suggestion to rectify my problem or help me to better understand the cause of the problem would be very much appreciated. I would really have more fun if I can get this fixed.

Cheers !!

Santhi
    Firstly, like you mentioned, you only have problems at low light. What you need to do is note the shutter speed. If it's below 1/30s, you might have some problems if you're using longer lenses. If using a tripod can solve your problem, then you will need to improve your hand holding technique.

Secondly, in the example you showed, there appear to be some haze also. That will also affect the contrast and sharpness of the image.

Hyperfocal distance focusing is simple: focus at infinity then stop the lens down to f/16 or f/22 and shoot.

If the subject is at a closer distance, still focus at infinity and stop down to the smallest aperture. Yes the subject will appear out of focus in the viewfinder. The small aperture will ensure whatever sharpness the lens in use can resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland View Post
    Hyperfocal distance focusing is simple: focus at infinity then stop the lens down to f/16 or f/22 and shoot.

If the subject is at a closer distance, still focus at infinity and stop down to the smallest aperture. Yes the subject will appear out of focus in the viewfinder. The small aperture will ensure whatever sharpness the lens in use can resolve.
    That's NOT hyperfocal distance focusing.

Please read more about it and please dun confuse people about this.

Oops sorry that's my interpretation of it.

Here's the Wikipedia explaination :

Hyperfocal distance

You need to understand the Depth of Field too.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Here's the Wikipedia explaination :

Hyperfocal distance

You need to understand the Depth of Field too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland View Post
    Thanks
    No prob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12