Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300 ~ Amazingly like a graphic novel....

Default Re: 300 ~ Amazingly like a graphic novel....

Quote Originally Posted by firestone View Post
    These words were supposedly really spoken, not just a script.
    Same for 'Come and Get them.."
    Apparently attributed to Herodotus, the historian of ancient times. Which for all we know could have been some slick script for some play at that time

Just got back from watching with a friend.

Very well done, indeed. I was expecting the Sin City style to be in full flair, since he has been deflowered once already, but this far surpassed my expectations. Of course, I'm a graphic novel junkie in some ways, so there is quite a lot of personal bias in this. My friend loved it too though.

I just watched this show yesterday and I love it! Find the actions very stylish and I quite like the story too.. If not for the betrayal of that hunchback, the Spartans would have high chance of chasing the Persians away.. Quite sad to see their ending..

Best part I guesswere the shields, can block arrow can block bomb blast.. I want one of them! Reminds me of Captain America's shield throw though.. heh

Quite sad to see most of the spartans dying in the hail of arrows. At least the captain took out several others with him.

Most sad was that the spear did not hit Xerxes squarely. Heck, why didn't all of them throw instead of just Leonidas . I guess that would be historically inaccurate then...

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
    Best part I guesswere the shields, can block arrow can block bomb blast.. I want one of them! Reminds me of Captain America's shield throw though.. heh

Quite sad to see most of the spartans dying in the hail of arrows. At least the captain took out several others with him.

Most sad was that the spear did not hit Xerxes squarely. Heck, why didn't all of them throw instead of just Leonidas . I guess that would be historically inaccurate then...
    Leonidas is darn stupid to place down his shield..by doing so he lost his balance that he is use to when fighting..hence the inaccuracy when throwing that spear at Xerxes..

If Xerxes did really got killed by Leonidas's spear..how will the war be? and how will the world be today?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

There's 2 possible reasons:

1) Leonaids is physically exhausted and thus his aim was off. Though a descendant of the mighty Hercules, Leonaids is but a mortal as well and not a God.

2) Leonaids knew he is beaten. Like the village massacre, he heard about 'The Immortals' and said that the Spartans would put that name to the test. Leonaids probably doesn't want to kill the Persian King, but wanted to make a statement, not only to the Persians but to the whole Sparta - That Immortals can be killed, God Kings bleed like mortals as well.

REMEMBER that Sparta not only faced a war, but was also beset by internal politics. Perhaps to Leonaids, it simply meant that his death is nothing if the entire Sparta unites.

I couldn't help but feel a little sad, not at the death of Leonaids and the 300 brave. But thinking of ppl thinking of just, "I, my, me, myself" these days.
    Last edited by jsbn; 22nd March 2007 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    There's 2 possible reasons:

1) Leonaids is physically exhausted and thus his aim was off. Though a descendant of the mighty Hercules, Leonaids is but a mortal as well and not a God.

2) Leonaids knew he is beaten. Like the village massacre, he heard about 'The Immortals' and said that the Spartans would put that name to the test. Leonaids probably doesn't want to kill the Persian King, but wanted to make a statement, not only to the Persians but to the whole Sparta - That Immortals can be killed, God Kings bleed like mortals as well.

REMEMBER that Sparta not only faced a war, but was also beset by internal politics. Perhaps to Leonaids, it simply meant that his death is nothing if the entire Sparta unites.

I couldn't help but feel a little sad, not at the death of Leonaids and the 300 brave. But thinking of ppl thinking of just, "I, my, me, myself" these days.
    I guess the fact that Xerxes could bleed already meant a lot. If he had died, another Persian king could claim that he was Xerxes incarnated. After all, they are all suppose to be god kings. However, if Xerxes bled when he claim he is a god, then doubt would creep into the ranks. Yes, and as you have said, that would also unite the various Greek armies. I suppose Leonidas went ahead with 300 personal body guards knowing that he would likely be killed.

Dilios the narrator (I presume anyways),
    "His helmet was stifling. It narrowed his vision.
    And he must see far.
    His shield was heavy. It threw off his balance.
    And his target is far away."

I loved it!! Absolutely loved it!! It was way cool.. the violence was just soooo spectacular and the movie had this really grainy sepia-ish effect that really made it so unique.

Fantastic!!

Chrs
    Jinny

Historicaly inaccurate?
    Lol,there was no mention of ever Leonidas even laying eyes on Xerxes, let alone throwing a spear at him...movie only lah..

Also, supposedly in the end, Leonidas died first before his men. And after this battle, he was beheaded and crucified...
    Last edited by firestone; 26th March 2007 at 09:57 AM.

I think there'll be good response if someone can MO 300 DVD..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123